Saturday, January 30, 2021

A correction or two

 

Well, it seems that I goofed. I put the wrong link for QUILTsocial yesterday. Thanks to Gwen for alerting me to that. I did fix it and hopefully got the right link in there. I'm going to list all the links for last week later today. That will solve all problems. 

Thanks to Carmen, we now know with 100% certainty what that "container" building is. The structure is the sales center for the Mattamy Homes development on Ninth Line.  It was designed by a famous Architect Frank Gehry.   The development is called The Nine.

The sales center is made with containers.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that building. This photo doesn't do justice to it - it's stunning. I wonder what will become of it when the development is done? And yes, during my entire walks with the girls yesterday, I envisioned how I would make my own container house. Since those things are HUGE (the most common length is 20 or 40 feet, the width is 8 feet, and the most common height is 8½ feet, but there are high cubes at 9½ feet. There is tons of information on the internet, but here's the link to one place.  Hmm - I'd need 5 containers to have a nice studio and another five to live in! I wonder how much they cost??? 


Oh - I should say that I dug out the fleece-lined jeans, and they slipped on right over my regular jeans. And I was TOASTY warm for the entire hour that I was outside. They were a good investment. I don't wear them that often - thank god, but when I need to be outside for a long time, they are great. Although with two pairs of pants, I did feel like the Michelin man. Actually, it reminded me of when we were kids. We did NOT have snow pants, so when we wanted to go out in the snow, we wore two pairs of pants. I particularly remember this in grade school. We lived and went to school in the country, and I remember coming in from recess or lunch, and there would be tons of laundry hanging in the classroom to dry so it would be ready to wear home when you had to walk two miles! AH - back to those character building days!!

Fleece-lined jeans

And my double booking issue? Seems like the events are on the same DAY, but not the same time. And wouldn't you know that I found that out AFTER I alerted one of them. SIGH......   So I must get all that arranged properly today. 

While I was planning on telling you about my research story - I'll have to wait until tomorrow. If I don't do the prep work during the day, there's not much time in the morning. And seriously, I've already walked 1,324 steps this morning? Wow - how did that happen? So I'll share the crazy day I had yesterday and some of the UFO.

I have an excellent audiobook that I'm listening to, which motivated me to stay in Studio B and cut and quilt. This is what happened in the quilting area. 

Customer quilt - DONE


This is a beautiful quilt and guess what? She hand-stitched the entire thing together! I know!!!!


Then I was on a roll, and that audiobook will be returned automatically in two days, so I need to be focused. So I loaded another quilt, and I was off. 





Customer quilt - DONE



This is one of my favorite quilts, and it's flannel on both sides, so it's going to be toasty warm. 

Which is what we could use right now at our house. I suspect our thermostat isn't working properly. Even though the temperature was set to 70, it never went above 68 even though the furnace kicks in. As a test, I set it even higher, and nope - it doesn't budge past 68. I suspect I need to call to get it fixed. 

Trust me - I've checked the schedule numerous times, and I can't see that anything in the schedule is causing this. 

All the customer quilts are trimmed, and I need to get in touch with them for pickup. One does need the binding sewn on, and that's a job for later today. The next quilt is loaded on the long arm for later today. 

I managed to empty all the silk and velvet from this container, so it's now up for grabs should anyone want it. Otherwise, it'll be donated. The tub - that is - not the silk and the velvet!



A container up for grabs

And the scraps are overflowing. I didn't take a picture of the stack of boards with projects cut out and ready to sew, but it's HUGE. I have two more projects to prep today, and then I'm ready for a MULTI-DAY sewing marathon. Actually, it'll take days to get everything sewn, but that's OK. 


The overflowing scrap bin



Oh shoot, and now I've run out of time! So let me share at least my UFO show and tell with you. I'm working on Quilter's Patch by Laundry Basket Quilts. It was a group class a couple of years ago. I've been slowly working on the blocks. I really don't understand why I kept putting the homework of these projects on the back burner. Many complex UFOs are sitting there because of this. I'll find my list one day, and then you'll see what I mean. 

Anyway, the main part of the quilt is done, and now it's time to work on the borders. That's my homework for this past month. I need to add that border to the list of stuff to get done! 



The center of Quilter's Patch



I spent a LOT of time doing the applique for the roof of the garden shed. But it's done, and I like it. 



The roof of the garden shed



Wait a minute - do you see who is in the garden????  Those darn girls of mine!!! The original pattern has a cat on it, and well, we don't have cats at our house. So I made Lexi and Murphy!!! They are so cute - both on the quilt and in real life. 


Lexi and Murphy in the garden quilt




Last night was author night at the library, and I was introduced to two new authors - Andrew Pyper and Catherine McKenzie


Andrew Pyper and Catherine McKenzie



And let's not forget the other new author I discovered that I'm currently reading - Kelley Armstrong. I'm reading the first one in the Rockton series. Wow -- a weird premise, but very good and intriguing. 



These are ALL Canadian authors. I believe next week is Jennifer Robson. It's free, and you don't have to be a Mississauga resident to listen in. Here's the link if you want to get signed up.    Hmmm - how to make a quilt from all these amazing books??? I'm so glad that I got out of the loop of reading the same authors in series all the time. It's great to have a change with some VERY unique plots. 


Oh yes -- here are the QUILTsocial links. 


Monday - introducing the Husqvarna Viking Designer Sapphire 85

Tuesday - features and accessories

Wednesday - four great features

Thursday - using decorative stitches in sewing mode

Friday - using decorative stitches in embroidery mode


HEY -- if you think this is just about buying a new machine, think again. I always fill my blog posts with all kinds of tips and things that technically you can use NOW. Check the links out!!!!!


Don't forget that TONIGHT is the first part of the Virtual Retreat. And then all day tomorrow. Here are the links. 


SATURDAY, January 30 at 6 PM - 9 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797


SUNDAY, January 31 at  10 AM - 8 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473


On that note, I'm out of here. Have a SUPER day!!!


Ciao!!!!



4 comments:

  1. I’ve listened to all the books in the Rockton series. Love them, and hope she writes more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose -- I got the first one done. When I first read, I had not idea that it was a series and when I heard, I thought how could this work. I see now. And really liked the series. Five more books to read!!! Have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. I am in love with reading a series from the beginning to the end. That's why I love my e-reader, it is so easy to get the next book in the series. I get daily emails for discount books, and I will slowly gather the titles to a series, never paying full price for the book. When I get them all, I will read from the beginning. I love it when a new-to-me-author has a series with 15 or 20 books. I can dive in and not have to think about what to read for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda -- WOW - I do like reading a series, but I find that I tire of the story line if I read too many in a row. But I guess it depends if it's a cookie cutter type. And I'm way too cheap to buy! I get what the library has!!! Thanks for sharing your methodology. I might have to do that with a couple of series as our library doesn't have some. Have a great day!!

      Delete