Friday, September 24, 2021

Be MINDFUL - everyday!

 I'm not sure how to put this politely, but the younger generations of today (at least at my house) feel entitled to EVERYTHING. 

Let's just say that I'm grumpy this morning. I'm very grumpy -- I'm behind in my morning schedule, and I'm exhausted. Certain people feel it's OK to do laundry in the middle of the night, have a shower, and eat. Doors opening and closing and my two dogs were terribly upset with the entire process, and Murphy, in particular, couldn't settle down. That resulted in THREE trips outside in the middle of the night to calm her down, two to the backyard and one to the end of the street and back. 

I'm trying to be nice and accommodating, but after almost THREE hours of bustling, I lost it, and things quieted down after that. Murphy went to sleep, and so did I. But I swear - if that happens again, well, I have a tent, and there's a backyard, and it won't be me camping out there. 

What's really sad is the lack of mindfulness in people and not just the current situation at my house, but a total lack of mindfulness to other people. It seems to be all about "ME." 

And lack of respect for our things? Should I even go there? Let's just say that I found this on the kitchen table the morning after my guests arrived. 


A pack of cashews

 I moved it to find this. One of the dangers of letting a candle burn for hours. Breathe - - breathe DEEP - very DEEP. 

A nice large burn on my kitchen table



OK -- I'm sorry -- I had to get that off my grumpy chest. Some good things came of the day. Another customer quilt got done. As well as two more presentations. 


Customer quilt - DONE



And thanks to Mattie (the boyfriend), I switched around the Zoom area of Studio B. Now the sewing machine is beside me, so I can do live demos on the screen. The lights are in a better position. It's hard to see the sewing machine, but it's just below the light on the right-hand side. And note the supervisor on the table -- totally oblivious to what's happening. 


The new set-up for Zoom


This is the scene behind me. I'm using my giant reflector to cut the glare on the screen of the sewing machine. Last night, I tested it out with a group, and it worked pretty well, considering lights and screens and glare. So one saving grace of having my guests! That table that used to hold the machine is bare, so I'll have to dig out more samples to cover it.

The scene behind me during Zoom



Because I now have three dogs to walk, and one of them needs three walks a day, I cranked out close to 15 KM again. Look at these cool pumpkins I saw at the store. Very lumpy and bumpy -- I wonder if they are malformed or this is a type of pumpkin?


Pumpkins

Bizarre pumpkin


We've had a lot of rain lately, and the little creeks in the forest have water in them, which is unusual for this time of year. No need to be topping up the pond! 


The creeks have water in them


Speaking of the little guy -- he's so darn cute but a naughty boy in the house when it comes to bathroom responsibilities which is why he needs to be walked (of course, by me because who else will do it?) at least three times a day. 


Let me in!



And he loves to sit in baskets of warm stuff. 

Sleepy boy




But the excellent news of yesterday was this. 

A package arrived



A package arrived that I was hoping would arrive while the guests were here. What's inside?? 

It's my first order from Spoonflower!!!  I was so excited I could hardly wait to see what it looked like. This one started out as a small picture for Mattie (M's boyfriend). It turned out spectacular. The colors are super rich, and I LOVE the results. 




Image printed by Spoonflower


All the order stuff is written on the selvage. 


The selvage of the order



OK -- let's zip back in time to this poster. Remember one of the times I was tidying up, and I found this poster with the broken frame? Well, the frame went, and I didn't know what to do with the poster. Someone out there suggested printing it on fabric. I know -- it looks very much out there, but I love it, and it has memories for me. 

My space poster


Well -- here it is!!! I can't believe how well it turned out. 

The poster was replicated on fabric




I had to get it scanned, which I did at Staples - only to find out that they saved it as a PDF, not a JPG, so I did have to return to the store to get it rescanned. It took a bit of fiddling to figure out how to get only one image printed when I ordered, but I was in business with the excellent support from Spoonflower. This wasn't cheap -- to print both images and ship them cost $28 US. These are two fat quarters. Not cheap, but worth the price to get what I want. 

Now I have plans for that space poster, and we also have plans for the red image. Now to find the time to make that happen. There's so much to be done - I've lost two hours this morning in getting homework done, but I won't go there. 

OH  -- the knee replacement went well. A spinal for anesthetic, but then they put her to sleep. So she didn't have a general -- I'm not sure what they did. She was drugged up with pain meds last night but should be coming home today. The second out-of-town guest arrived last night, and hopefully, we'll see her today. It's just a madhouse here with all the goings-on. Let's just say that I can't wait until next weekend when I have NOTHING on the calendar, and most people will have gone home. 

It's not that I'm old and crotchety -- it's that I like RESPECT and MINDFULNESS, and right now - that's in short supply at our house. 

Don't forget there's a Virtual sewing retreat this weekend!!! Here are the times and the links. Be sure to stop by, and maybe Mr. Bear will make an appearance. He seems to be quite content to just sleep when I'm talking on the computer, and he sleeps under the computer on a wee quilt. 



Saturday, September 25  from 6 PM - 9 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797


Sunday, September 26 from 10 AM - 8 PM


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473




Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I feel your frustration and am chuckling. The mantra in my house is "Grandma's house, Grandma's rules" and I tell my daughters that the rules are the same ones they grew up with. The house must be quiet by 10pm and no showers or baths.. no walk abouts, and take any snacks to your room before 10. I think I have them well trained though with my younger grandkids, I used to unplug my router at 10pm to ensure I didn't have to nag them to turn off their electronics. But, other company is more difficult and I do ask that they have the volume down low when watching tv or talking. I would think that common courtesy would mean you go to bed or at least be ready for bed, when your hosts depart for their bedroom? I would be your perfect house guest! Respect seems to be missing from many people. I was at a retreat this week and whoever was sewing late was in the room above me... clomping back and forth when she got to her room and I knew all her movements and it was annoying. Maybe I learned to be quiet at night when I was a teenager and had to sneak into the house without my mum hearing me? The last thing I wanted was to wake her up and have a confrontation so I was the epitome of stealth and still am, because, I don't want to wake my dh if he is napping or sleeping in.

    ReplyDelete