Friday, September 3, 2021

How much is too much?

 

I'm happy to say that I'm making great progress. Not as much as I would like, but I'm OK. The binding is on the magazine quilt - well, just one side. I have to do the topstitching this morning and add a sleeve, and then it can go. Yeah!!!

And it would have been done, except I had to do this instead. 


Remember the other day that I said I was prepping more fabric for Diane? Well, I found a panel with a partial border on it. I decided to finish off the border and get it ready for pickup today. Now she can just add regular borders to the rest of it. 




Here's the panel with two borders added. This collection had many coordinating blue and green prints, and I was going to make a blooming nine-patch, where the colors change as each border gets added. The first border was made by cutting part of the panel apart and adding some fabric. At some point, the project got stalled, and now it's going to be finished, but not as it was originally intended, and I'm perfectly OK with that. 

But here's the deal -- how many projects do you have that if someone opened the box, they would have NO clue what you intended to do with that project. Or the project is in bits and would be a challenge for someone to pick up and finish off. Oh yes  - how much unfinished stuff is too much? 

Here you can see the details of the nine patches and the squares. 


Detail of the panel border


But on the second border, it's hard to see the nine patches. What's the point?? So it'll just get regular borders to make it large enough for a Quilts of Valour quilt. 


Can you see the nine patches?



I LOVE Diane!!!!  She is helping to clear up a HUGE pile of fabric, and we're getting quilts out of the deal. She gets something to sew that doesn't cost her anything. It's such a win-win!!! So if you're sitting on a lot of fabric, why not think of finding someone who wants to sew but doesn't need a new quilt. They can do the same thing. Now to get quilting a few more of them!  And NO -- I do not want donations. Once I get through the tubs of fabric, then I'm hitting my stash! LOUD GASP!!!  There's no stopping me now - as long as Diane wants to sew, I'll keep feeding her fabric. 

I did get started on my next project but had a wee setback -- the importance of testing. But all is good, and I should be able to get to work on it today and make great headway. 

I know my neighbors are probably freaked out when they see me coming. I'm always taking pictures of everything and anything. How do you know when you're overwatering your lawn? Well, besides it being the greenest lawn on the block, look along the edge of the grass. 


What's that along the edge of the lawn?


Yes --- those are tiny fungi and LOTS of it. He keeps adding dirt to his grass, so the lawn now sits about 2 inches above the sidewalk, and the edge is covered. How much water is too much?


Little fungi 


Sorry -- not a lot of quilting pictures to share this morning, so here's your entertainment. Murphy is claiming the dog bed. This is the first (and only) bed we bought for her. They do share it, not at the same time of course, but Murphy is a goof. While it's a big bed, she's perfectly happy to be half in and half out. 


Murphy and her dog bed


And this is pretty Lexi. We stopped at the little bench in the churchyard. She loves stopping - there are always flowers and for some reason, she loves to smell them. I take a few minutes to reflect life and then she comes over to sit beside me. 

Lexi




And for some reason, the electrical outlet for the pond has stopped working. I've tried to reset it, but no go, so I ran an extension cord out. Well, once that pump got started, the two of them started nosing around the pond. Why? No idea -- just a pair of goofs. 


Looking for stuff in the pond



Well, I had my first French test yesterday. I spoke to the owner of the shop for the event that starts next week. So far, so good! I'm looking at the Wishlist (for the list of products) and the presentation -- big scary words! But I think it's going to be fine. It's more the question of just starting! And when the phone rings - well you have to answer it!


I think I FINALLY got all the distribution lists together for the fall classes. Good grief --- now I see I have one more sign-up this morning. I hope to get the last of the information out this morning. It's been a challenge, to say the least. 


OK, what's with the weather? I feel like I need to put my long pants on (gasp), which will signify that summer is over and I'm not ready! But it's a chilly 12 degrees this morning, which is a far cry from the 30 degree stuff we've had for the last couple of weeks. Add in the humidity to get 40-degree weather, and well, a difference of 30 degrees is pretty significant!

OH -- I have to tell you about the new audiobook I'm reading. Oh boy -- thank god these are audiobooks because I wouldn't be getting much done otherwise. I finished the Jack Reacher one yesterday -- yes -- all 16 hours of it. Now I'm into another long one by Robert Galbraith. It's called The Cuckoo's Calling. Of course, we know that Robert is, in fact, J.K. Rowling. I wonder why they need to write under a pseudonym???  Anyway, it's a great book and the best news -- there are FIVE books in total in the series. Yeah!!!!

And wow -- I can't believe the work going on on our small street. New windows in one house, a new basement in another. Someone else is getting a new kitchen. And two people moved this summer. And there have been bins in front of other houses - so lots of work is going on!! 


Well, it's time to get the day rolling. I need to get that quilt finished, and I now have some urgent paperwork - well, it's not urgent, but I want it cleared off my desk, which looks like a tornado hit. How does this happen??? 


Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment