Sunday, October 24, 2021

Schoolgirl Sampler Show and Tell

 

We're down to the last month for all of the ongoing classes for 2021. And in an ideal world, all my quilt tops would be done! But alas, that's not happening, but I am close! 

We had loads of fun at the Virtual REtreat last night, but I never even turned my sewing machine on! I was busy trimming quilts, and I have a few more to do today. I'd like to get them done as another group needs to be quilted this coming week. But I'm close to the end of the September/October batch, and a few are scheduled for November. I think that's what I'll focus on today - getting those quilts done!

Let's have a look at the Schoolgirl Sampler quilt this morning. 


Here's the book in case you're not familiar with the quilt. 



It's a beautiful quilt with lots of little four-inch blocks, which gave the group some challenge, and the center was applique! That was a first for some of them, so I think a Study in Applique class will be coming in the new year!


Anne's top is together and now the last part - to add the borders. A beautiful soft feel to this one. 


Anne's quilt



This is Barb's first attempt at applique, and she did a super job! Now to get the rest of the quilt together and add those borders!


Barb's center block


Cathy is working on her applique and has started to sew the blocks together. Do you see her unusual choice of sashing fabric? I love how the coloring in her blocks radiates from light to dark. 

Cathy


This is Lucy's center block. I know she did something different with her block last night after the class, but I can't share it with you! Next month! 



Lucy


Margot has her top together, except for the borders. I love that little pop of color in the cornerstones. The coloring in the center really pulls your eye in, and she used WOOL for the applique.


Margot


Ruth has a dark sashing compared to the other with light cornerstones. It just goes to show that either way works and produces a totally different effect. 

Ruth


Sharon has started to sew her rows together, which will take no time! I love the scrappy look with the reproduction fabrics. 


Sharon's quilt


And here's her center block. 

Sharon's center block


This is Zildi's center block. She was the ONLY who was happy about the applique! Her top is also together, and knowing Zildi - the borders are on. Notice how she didn't show the entire quilt!

Zildi's center


We are missing a couple of quilts from the show and tell, and hopefully, we'll see them next month. Or parts of them. 


So what does mine look like? 


Here's my center applique block. 


My center block



Here's a close-up of the stitching. I'm pretty happy with the results. Applique is NOT my favorite quilting style, but I'm pretty good at it when I apply myself. I turned the edges under using starch and then used bobbin weight thread and invisible thread with an elongated zigzag to stitch everything in place. There's a tutorial on my blog for this if you're interested. 


A detail of the stitching




As you can see, I went with a totally different colorway. Like Ruth, I used a dark sashing with light cornerstones, and I loved it so much that I carried that sashing to the outer edge of the blocks and surrounded the center block. I try to mix it up a bit each time I choose a new quilt to make.  



My quilt top with all the sashing in place


And I decided to NOT do the borders as per the book - of course! Instead, I chose two borders that I felt were better with a more modern quilt version. 


The borders on my quilt



I can't wait to see how the others finish off their quilts! And now, I have a couple more writing assignments to finish, which I hope to do tomorrow. There was just other stuff going on yesterday that didn't allow that to happen.


Don't forget that we have Virtual Retreat all day. So be sure to stop by and say hi!!  You never know what topics of conversation will pop up! I went to bed at 10, and there were still some diehards on the call! I think I'll be ducking out at some point for a wee nap as it was not a good night for sleep. But that's OK -- this happens from time to time. 


Here's the link for today. 


Sunday, October 24, From 10 AM - 9 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473



On that note, I'm out of here!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment