Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Mount Projects!!

Mount Projects! Elle -- I love it -- that's the new name for that ridiculously piled table of stuff! Yes -- there is ONE cluttered table, but it's better to have all that stuff on one table than to have little bits all over the place. I may have to resolve the fact that I will always have Mount Projects, but I'm OK - at least for now. 

But it's shocking how much you think you can get done in a day, and when you survey the place at the end, you didn't even touch a thing that was on Mount Projects! 

The last (for the moment) of those community project quilts has the binding on them, so it's now with the other pile on the quilt rack. It feels good to get those done. I have one more wall hanging (mine) that needs the binding put on, and it's on that table, so I'll get to it. However, I'm focusing on something else at the moment. 

One more binding is done!


I spent the morning doing paperwork and accomplished two things, so it was a super bonus that both were done. That's the urgent stuff, and I can leisurely chip away at the rest, although I forgot one receipt for my expense report. I don't have time to deal with it right now, and we have no electricity later this morning, so I'll have to look at it this afternoon. 

Despite having all those projects to choose from, I decided to work on something new. I brought it back from Quilt Canada, and rather than shelve it, I decided to tackle it. Margaret used the Momento (large digital cutter) to cut squares during Quilt Canada. She gave me some of the squares, and I decided it was a good start to make a dust cover for the cutter. I realize now that the squares were not the right size for that project, but no worries - I figured it out before I went too far. She just cut squares, but not for this specific project. 

Here are the squares I cut the other day, including those that Margaret gave me. 

My project status from the previous day

I needed 2½" half-square triangles (one of my favorites!), and my squares were cut to 2½". Yikes—I needed 3" squares! So, I had to stitch down the center of each pair to get the size of HST needed. I could have made the HSTs smaller, but the scale would have been off. I could have cut larger squares, but I decided to use what I had already started. 

From each pair of squares, I got one 2½" half-square triangle and one 1½" HST. However, I needed more squares since I needed 121 HSTs of the larger size. Even when I cut more, I still messed up and had to cut an additional 60 squares. I guess math isn't my strong point at the moment. 


The status of my project last night

However, I'm happy to report that all 121 HSTs are made and pressed. I'll check them for size this morning when we have no electricity. This method of making them doesn't allow for extra for trimming, but they will work for my project. I've pulled the extra fabrics required for the project, and I'll see how far I can get today. I now have a pile of enders and leaders to sew. They are bagged and in the pile, waiting for their turn. 

I love having a laser on the sewing machine, so ZERO marking is required to make those HSTs. 

Then, it was time to work on the pet mats. I got a box of decorator fabric swatches a while back, and I'm using those. I sorted them into piles by size - I found that nine swatches sewn together and then cut will make eight pet mats. I used the serger and did one group, so I now have eight additional bags to put the scraps in. It would be nice to forge ahead and make all the pet mats, but I'm OK with prepping them when needed. There are still about six groups of nine to deal with. I may have a moment or two to work on that, but it's not a priority. 

BUT -- it was so exciting to lay the GIANT square out on the cutting mat, so I could then sub-cut it. 


Sub-cutting the giant square


And I didn't have to move a thing to do this. Oh yes—I love having this clean space, and it's worth it to have Mount Projects in the room to deal with the overflow. I hope once I get it down to Hill Projects size, it'll never get to Mount size again! 

And before I knew it, I had eight additional pet mats - well, at least the bag to put the scraps in. 

Eight new bags for pet mats

I just need to turn them inside out. But here's something else - the serger was on its own table - with all the accessories in a basket beside it. I plugged it in, and away I went. There is no need to dig out the serger and find the bits, so the way I have things set up now is how I want to keep them as long as I have the space! And since I love the space so much, I will be more inclined to keep it neat and tidy. YES -- there will be times in a mad rush when things look bad, but for the most part, it will stay this way. I'm HIGHLY motivated to keep it like this. 

It doesn't matter which part of the room I choose to work in; Murphy has to be right there! Case in point: I was walking between the serger (where my orange water bottle is in the photo) and the cutting table behind me. Guess who is in the way? Oh, Murphy!!!

MOM -- can you see me? 


Oh --- I should say that I got a chuckle as I chatted with people when I was in Edmonton! And THANKS to those who stopped by to say hi. It was great to put some faces to names and also to meet new people. I appreciate that you read my blog; however, I got a lot of comments about the girls! YES -- I know—they are way more entertaining than I am!!!

And here's another example of Miss Murphy and her antics. It doesn't matter how many times I pass the vacuum or the Swiffer in a day; when she goes out and lays in the backyard, she proceeds to bring it into the house. And YES—I found dead leaves downstairs. We know 100% where those leaves came from—don't we, Murphy?!!


MOM - I LOVE watching you use the Swiffer!


I had my little can of ant spray in my hand and decided to put it in one of the kitchen cupboards that had been cleaned eons ago. Hmm—it appears that it was a LONG time ago—look at the dust!!! This is not a cupboard that we use often, as you can see, and there isn't much in it. But I do need to give it a quick look, but that's not happening today. 

Hmm - a bit of dust in an unused cupboard



So, I've got stuff organized for this morning. Although I could easily have grabbed some paperwork from the office to sort, NO, I have to trim HSTs and sort scraps. I'll see how it goes when I get back from spin class, but at least I'm prepared.

On that note, I'm out of here! Have a super day, and remember those drawers. Someone e-mailed me that they found SEVEN drawers in their living room. How do those drawers magically appear? The big question she didn't answer was, what was in them? She mentioned she found a LIFE magazine in one drawer from the summer of 1984 - Summer Olympics! Oh yes -- we are all culprits of clutter. But it's the summer Olympics again this year, so a quick browse, and then it's going to a new home!

I feel so blessed to know I'm not alone in my quilting and decluttering quest, and we have Murphy and Lexi to entertain us while we enjoy our adventures!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment