Sunday, June 16, 2024

Network of friends!!

Remember that "new" word from earlier this week. 

"new" word


I'm happy to say that no one in my life currently falls into this category. I don't keep in touch with some friends as much as I would like—I'll blame part of that on my phone, which I can't use to talk to people! But as far as toxic friends, no one fits that category, for which I'm very thankful! But I've been there! 

I wish I had time to reach out more, as some people reach out to me! I got a phone call yesterday that made me smile! I couldn't take the call then, but I called them back when I was in the car. My cell phone works in the car but not at my house. Sigh.....

When I saw the caller ID, I thought she was calling to say she "stole" those items from the thrift shop! She's a quilter, an avid reader, a lover of jigsaw puzzles, and lives very close by! No, she was not the one who stole those items from me (OK, so I'm being dramatic. I was stalling to buy them, and I should know that you can't wait at the thrift shop.) 

Instead, we had a great chat about books (we read many of the same genres) and an offer for some of the Dowdle puzzles she no longer wanted. I'm away this week, but we must get together when I return. 

Thanks for the call! It was great to touch base!

And then someone else let me know that the Gordie Howe International Bridge is connected. That event happened on June 14. It's incredible how they could start such a massive project from two sides of a river, and everything seemed to fit together like a glove. It boggles my mind that those massive girders just seemed to fall into place without a hitch. Check out this video to see the final connection.


It will be another year before the bridge is open to the public. There is much to do—the roads leading to the bridge aren't complete, and there is paving, lighting, completing the bridge deck, and much more. It's fascinating to watch as this thing comes together. 


Nothing got done on the "to-do" list. In the afternoon, I taught an in-person free-motion quilt class and spent the morning prepping for my UFO session today. 

This was another instance where I felt it necessary to make TWO quilts. They are my Cabin in the Woods quilts, and they are time-consuming, or I'm getting tired of working on them. 

Two Cabin in the Woods quilts


It's been slow progress. Those pictures were taken in January, and I'm still not done with the darn quilts. But I made a good effort yesterday to progress on both of them. I won't share my updated progress until tomorrow, but I'm happy. The UFO Groups don't meet again until September, so I hope to finish them by then. I WANT them off my plate, and I should just continue to work on them so I'm not leaving it until the last minute!


While working, I listened to Harry Potter and finished the book last night. However, I need to relisten to several critical parts I didn't understand. We talked about rereading books yesterday, which I don't usually do. But in this case, I might leave this book for a month or so, reread it, and then move on to the final book. 

I went to visit the new Central Library a couple of weeks ago. It's now called the Hazel McCallion Library, but it'll always be the Central Library to me. It's like being on the farm, where they still refer to property by the original owner's name, not who owns it now. It's hilarious. 

Anyway, the library is AMAZING!!!!  I wish I lived closer because I'd wander over just to sit and contemplate the world. There are so many amazing spaces to work/read in, and the maker space is on the lower level. 

This is the light in the middle of the atrium. It changes color. 

Atrium light in the library



I'll show you more pictures another day, but here's one thing they missed the mark on. Considering this is a library that houses books, it's a biggy. 

The shelves are much lower than previously, so you can see them over the top. Fewer shelves and fewer books, but libraries aren't just about books any longer. So I'm OK with that. 


Lower shelves at the library


If you have crappy knees having to bend down or kneel down to see the titles is a pain. And you have to do that for almost all the books. 


Bending is required to browse the shelves



Then, many books are sideways on the shelves as they are not tall enough to accommodate larger books, making browsing a lot more difficult. Some books won't stand up entirely, so the number of books on the shelf is inefficient—well, not so much inefficient, but they don't move easily. 

Shelves not tall enough to accommodate the books





Perhaps people don't browse the library shelves much and rely on the digital catalog. I love to browse in person. 

Hey, I'm sure loads of you remember the card catalogs and how fun it was to research a book's location! Well, I must go. I have some follow-ups from yesterday, and I think I still owe some slides to the classes from the previous weekend. 

Then, I must get a couple of things off that to-do list. Then I can head downstairs to have fun this afternoon! I need to finish those three items, as the clock is ticking! 

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment