Sunday, October 30, 2011

The WONDER of it all!

Saturday was BACK TO TEACHING. And the class? One of my favourites!!  ONE BLOCK WONDER.

The class was full - 10 people. I love seeing how each fabric reacts to this cutting process. Sit back and enjoy the show and let's just hope that I get everyone's name right!

Carrie's fabric - interesting lines. This is NOT her normal fabric - she likes brights - like ME!!!!


Carrie's blocks. Notice those BIG blocks of gold on the bottom left. And the movement of the light and dark lines in the other blocks. Very interesting!!!!!

Barb - wanted something watery  - a good start for that effect
I know that she got more than TWO blocks sewn. For some reason this is the only picture of her blocks that I took. Definitely going to have that soft water feel to it!!!!

Bonnie's fabric. Nice contrast in colours and nice size of motifs. 
Bonnie's blocks. It is so hard to know what type of fabric to pick. I think the motif size in this one was just perfect!!!!   Lots of variety in the blocks.

Beth - do you know what these little fellows are????   Why PANDAS of course. Very cute!!!!!
The end blocks are not as defined as some of the others, but then the fabric Beth started with was not as defined either. I definitely think an accent border in red would be perfect for this one. 


Bev had a VERY dramatic print to work with. High contrast between those luscious red tulips and the black background.
Gorgeous blocks (but then I do LOVE LOVE LOVE high contrast in anything!)

Shelley - a VERY large motif so we can expect blocks with one colour in them. 

Hmmm - do you see what happened here????   The motif was so large that we have lots of blocks with one colour in them. And the beauty of this quilt is - THAT IS OK. there is NO right and NO wrong with this technique.




Rose came prepared with FOUR different fabrics and chose this one. 

Which I think will be very successful. Notice the bright blocks and lots of blenders. It is going to be awesome. 

Janet - BRIGHT as usual. This is a gorgeous fabric. I love it and might have bought some except it was all gone!!!!!



Notice how she has blocks that read as ONE colour. Again this is because her motif was so large that it filled the entire block for a "single" colour block. 

Janet had a second fabric (from the same line). She is going to cut this and make "blender" blocks between the other ones. 


Joan had SKUNK fabric. How cool is that!!!!! And she got it at my local quilt store. I think a little side trip is in order. 

Joan's blocks. Now as we were laying the blocks out - we were having the discussion of adding cubes or not. I really think cubes will help to pick up some of the colours and give the blocks a focal point. 

Her friend Bonnie whipped out these greens which she was going to use on her quilt (but we have all agreed that it won't work, but hard to tell before you cut). And those greens are PERFECT for Joan's quilt. Nice to have friends who come prepared for anything!!!!

Anna's fabric. This is very cool - lots of movement. And what did it give????


Anna's blocks. I was very surprised that she got some completely dark ones, and some completely  light ones. Who would have thought????



 And there you have it. If you are at all thinking about doing a One-Block Wonder - have a close look at the above before and after pictures. Sometimes people are disappointed that their finished product isn't bright, isn't clearly defined or whatever. It all has to do with the fabric you start with.

It is late and I need some beauty sleep.

Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am dying to try a one block wonder quilt, and I would love to use Alexander Henry's Wranglers fabric. http://www.ahfabrics.com/collections/347-wranglers/detail/2040-6477a?tmpl=component The problem is that I can't buy it locally, and I am hesitant to buy the 6-8 yards I think I need when I don't know it if is a good fabric choice. I've watched several videos on how to pick out fabrics (print scale, background space, etc), but I can't audition the fabric with mirrors on the computer monitor very easily. According to some website descriptions, it has a 24" repeat, and the cowboys are about 12" tall. Do you have any advice on if this would work very well? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete