Saturday, September 22, 2012

Party Central!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M (who is in grade 12) came up with this "great" idea a couple of weeks ago. Let's have a party!!!!     Not a party for the adults, not a party for the family, but a party for her friends. Oh my god!!!!!!  Well after a lot of consideration and RULES that passed from her to us and us to her, we relented and last night was THE night.

As much as she tried to convince me that I should have a sleepover on the party night and Dad should also be away, I wasn't buying THAT idea and so I was relegated to the basement studio and Dad was upstairs in the TV room. We were NOT allowed to make appearances unless absolutely necessary!!!!    I must admit that M did a great job of coming down and "checking in" to make sure "I" was still OK.

I am NOT sure how many people ended up at the party and she insisted that they were turning people away.  And while the music wasn't that loud, I am sure my neighbours were not happy (we have very few parties in this neighbourhood) and I was expecting to get a visit from the cops, but that didn't happen. Good thing I did NOT go upstairs - I think things happened that I DO NOT want to know about, although I did hear at least three bottles break.

All I know is that when everyone left at 12:39PM and I was allowed upstairs (a few people stayed to help clean up), I was a tad shocked. While all the "evidence" seemed to have disappeared, the place smelled (and still smells) like a brewery, the floor was BLACK with MUD  (the party goers were spilled into the back yard and it had started to rain at some point) and STICKY. Oh and let's not forget the feathers from the two boas that were everywhere. I see a bit more evidence in the backyard and the cleanup crew will be having a fun day later when they wake up. And they wanted to VACUUM up the feathers - NOT OVER MY DEAD BODY were they going to drag the vac out on THAT DISGUSTING floor - they cleaned them up with the mop and by hand. 

Even though they "cleaned up", EVERY SURFACE in the kitchen is STICKY and DISGUSTING. It is GROSS GROSS GROSS. I had to wipe the island down before I could even think of making breakfast and let's just say that you WANT to wear your shoes in the house right now. Of course my sandals and sticking to the floor and make a horrible noise.

I had to rescue Sparky. She was going crazy - barking barking barking - finally I managed to signal Berke (without being seen) and he brought her downstairs where she "slept" for the rest of the evening. I think she is tired this morning as am I. Sammy went up and hid with Dad because she doesn't like a lot of noise either.

Earlier in the day, I had a Pampered Sit n Sew day. We had a great day - the girls were very accommodating and I had VERY LITTLE seam ripping to do and not much pressing. Helen Anne was working on paper piecing - I didn't get a picture - you will see that in a reveal in October. I know she worked on something else, but escapes me what that was, but then she got this little flannel quilt together.



Helen Anne with her small flannel quilt - she didn't bring the border fabric as she didn't think she would get that far!!!!!

Pat had to finish piecing some of the courthouse steps blocks that are the results of an exchange she did YEARS AGO. Then she added a panel that she cut into blocks to get a little quilt that she will donate. Even got part of the borders on. 

Oh yes - now I remember - Helen Anne was also working on half square triangles for a quilt which I will show you in a minute.


Pat was also working on borders for another quilt that she brought and I didn't get a picture of that.


Katheleen was busy doing applique - you will see the show n tell tomorrow.

Gayle put a binding on a quilt and was working on hand stitching it down.

Carol was unfortunately not able to come. We missed you Carol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Helene Anne was working on those half square triangles. They were for a $10 quilt (Patchwork Sampler by Lori Smith). We checked the year that I taught this - 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   OMG!!!!!!!   A while back, I worked and got all the blocks complete and then it went back into the bucket and onto the 2012 shelf. And there it has sat. After the ladies left and while the party was happening - I got the blocks out and put them on the wall.

Patchwork Sampler
 Then I had a pleasant shock - the HST are DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Half square triangles for The Patchwork Sampler - DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 I finished cutting the setting triangles and corners and played with the border a bit. Did not sew any of it, but it is ready to go. Will be a good project to sew a seam or two and next thing I know - it will be done.

While the girls were still here, I had some time to kill so I started to work on the green border for that Christmas quilt. It is made up of pinwheels, 4 patches and plain squares. I got ALL the prep work done last night. The HST for the pinwheels are done, the plain squares are cut and half of the four patches are assembled - just the center seam left to do. This will be a great enders and leaders project once I finish that last border.


The LAST border for Christmas Heart Light - all prepped and ready to go. 


Well the party was still going on and I wasn't going to bed - might as well keep working. So I cut the last two light border pieces for this quilt and got them pinned on.


Last two pieces of LIGHT border pinned on
Then I cut the last border for the same quilt and the binding. Still not finished.......    I cut the outside border for Elaine S Halloween quilt (managed to slip out to Ruti's just before they closed to get the black that had just come in - thanks to Diane at Ruti's and Ross at Northcott for the quick delivery). And then I prepared the "extensions" for the minky backings of the Halloween quilts. The  minky is about 1" larger than the quilt tops and in order to put it on the machine, it requires a bit of extra fabric to accommodate the machine. I thought I would be clever and just load it which I did, but after looking at it - I think I will be crazy to attempt it (although I have done similar in the past - but not minky which I don't want to stretch). I just have to take the backing off - add the extensions and reload the back - I won't take the top off.

Binding and border for HST quilt, border for Halloween quilt and backing extensions


Wow - it was a productive day. I normally do NOT do that much work at night, but I was awake and knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep so might as well get something done. 

And now I am off to class for show n tell, although with the number of "I can't make it", I am wondering how many people will actually come???????????????


Have a great day - I better run to the grocery store and get something GOOD and STRONG for them to clean that floor. I have a feeling - they will be washing it SEVERAL times. 


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment