Thursday, September 13, 2012

Things you learn from reading your magazines!!!!!!!!!!


A VERY productive day yesterday. Started off by heading back to the gym for the group workout. Normally I don't like the Wednesday class. But I decided to go anyway and it was a great class - mostly because the participants are all crazy and make jokes (sometimes at my expense!!!) which makes it all fun, although Maria had us sweating a bit, but not nearly as much as the hot yoga the night before. I am happy to report that my gluts are a tad sore today - that means whatever we did - we were working them. Yeah!!!!!


Off to physio for my last appointment where they have figured out that one of my joints in the back locked up (most likely from the bike ride and NO STRETCHING). So STRETCHING is in order all the time to keep it loose.

Back home to hit the sewing machine. I got a TON of stuff done - I love when that happens.

OH DEAR - I found MORE Halloween fabric that I bought recently - it was on the 2012 shelf. Well - it is now in the Halloween basket

Speaking of which - here is the Halloween basket. Yes - a dent was definitely made although I still have fabric out that is to be used for the backings and I know I won't use it all. Pretty sad when you have to make TWELVE quilts in order to made a dent!!!!!    Can't even begin to imagine how much fabric is in the stash room and how many quilts could be made. Never mind the kits and the UFOs!!!!!    Better work FASTER!!!!!!

Anyway - I sewed all the blocks from the three remaining kits. I am going to make TWO (slightly bigger) quilts from the three kits. Then NOTHING (except ONE BLOCK) is left over. 

Made the binding for Ronda's quilts. She made one at my house and bought one of the other kits (2 kids you know - one can't have something the other doesn't have!!)   Just have to buy the minky for the backs of hers (don't worry - she is paying for that!!!!)

Started to work on the first of THREE borders for Elaine S quilt



I also got a LOT of phone calls made from my GIANT TO DO list. That kind of stuff is so time consuming. I hope I am not the only one with that kind of stuff to deal with.


I always have an enders/leaders project on the go and while I was piecing the Halloween, I did manage to get the top border of this quilt pieced. And I got that border sewn on the quilt.

First part of the saw tooth border sew on!!!!!

Here is the quilt (in case you wanted to see the entire thing)


This is not my quilt, but one that I am finishing to help out a friend. It is to be a gift at Christmas, so best get working on it to get it finished in time.


People are always on the hunt for "THINGS THAT ARE ORANGE" for me. While on my bike trip, I did manage to snag a couple of orange FQs. But I sent out an SOS to Linda and Marian to get me a couple since I wasn't able to get a lot. They each bought me one and now I don't want to use them in my project.


The oranges that I acquired over the summer. Linda bought the one with the Halloween words - that is too good to use in this project. And Marian bought the pumpkins - also should go with the Halloween. And then I bought the top right hand one which to me is too pale to use. Maybe I will just forget doing anything with these. 

Marian told me to drive up a certain road and I would see something orange. As I am driving and scouring the area - I found it. An orange leg???????   GO figure!!!!   Apparently it was stuck on the mail box when she saw it. Should have stopped and asked. Maybe I could get it to put in my garden??????


Oh yes - did I mention that Marian came over to work on her Halloween. While most people finished that day, Marian and Elaine did not get the borders on. I am currently putting Elaine's on, BUT Marian is Miss Particular and so she wanted to put on her own borders, especially that piano key border with the various sized widths of the strips. PLUS she is doing something very cute for the corner stones. So she got that second pieced border almost on which is good because I know how much of the strippy pieced stuff is left to work with the remaining FOUR quilts that need that strippy border.


And it is time to get back to dealing with the magazine situation. There are so many and I have to start somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!   I grabbed a fairly recent issue of Quilt (April/May 2012).

An article by Kaffe Fassett confirmed one thing that I learned eons ago. YOU CANNOT choose the border fabric BEFORE you make the quilt. Well - let me rephrase that - sometimes I do choose the border fabric before making the quilt and sometimes the border is the colour inspiration for the rest of the quilt, but often I find that I have to choose the sashing and the border (s) AFTER the top is together. And definitely DO NOT cut the border until you are 100% certain that this is what you want!!!!!!    Like my Halloween quilts - we figured it out AFTER the quilts were together.


Then same magazine - I read an article about Carolyn Gavin. She is a fabric designer, but she got her start in her own design company. And what did she design?????  The EcoJot books!!!!!!!!!!   I love these books and look - I have one!!!!!!!   OK - I probably have more, but this one was handy. And Carolyn lives in TORONTO!!!!!!!  


Eco-Jot journal

She started designing fabric a while back and even had one with a bike, although it wasn't all bikes. And don't worry - I looked - you can only get it on e-Bay. It is called Spring Street - anybody have any that they do not want?????

Speaking of journals - I LOVE journals. They hold such great promise and then I can never bring myself to write in them. When I die and they go through my stuff - they will be SHOCKED by the amount of BLANK journals I have.



I couldn't resist these ones from Chapters with bicycles all over the cover!!!!  Hey - they were ON SALE - 50% off so I stocked up!!!!!



Then the other problem with going through magazines - well besides the patterns that you want to make, is the information that you want to get an update on or confirm or whatever. So it is NOT a quick process to go through the magazines, however any effort is a step in the right direction!!!!

As I find interesting tidbits in the magazines, I will share them with you.


OK - that is it for the day!!!   Got more paperwork and phone calls this morning. Then off to the quilting machine. OH - and those block exchanges - let's not forget the block exchanges. They HAVE to be done today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And the homework for the weekend - three classes and clean up the studio for the class that is happening here.




Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment