Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What's your beef????????????



I do try to NOT get on a soapbox on this blog. If I have an issue with something, I prefer to air my dirty laundry in the privacy of my home or with close friends, but I have a couple of things that are driving me crazy and so while I will follow up with the appropriate places, I just have a desire to get this off my chest! And I am not revealing any names to protect the parties involved!!!!!!!!!!!


I went to cut a kit yesterday and when I pulled out the fabric - I find this................

A nice straight line at 53 inches - BUT it is supposed to be 54 inches. 

The other piece of fabric is 53 1/2"
 At first I thought that I NEEDED to have 54" and the insert from the store even stated that they had PRECUT the pieces to 54" and then they short change me. I was ticked off and I am still ticked off even after evaluating the pattern and determining that I don't need the pieces to be 54" (I need 52 1/2" - if everything is pieced correctly) but I like to have a bit extra to trim. And then based on the pattern - I could always make it a smidgen smaller - have a look...........


The pattern - Modern Pickle Relish by Modern Quilt Relish

It is just the principle of the thing. If they say they are going to give you 54" - then they should give you 54". I was going to cut this out yesterday and that issue was ENOUGH to make me stop. I am still going to chat to the store that I bought the kit from. It is better to have a bit of leeway and trim slightly than NO leeway.

The second beef is a bit more serious of a boo boo.................


I am merrily sewing a mystery quilt that has a pretty intensely pieced border. I have made several mysteries by this designer and have been thoroughly happy with all of them. The blocks below were at the end of Clue 7. Then I get to Clue 8 and I am now supposed to sew these blocks together. WHAT???????   You make me cut a straight border into pieces - sew those pieces individually to the blocks and then expect me to sew the whole thing back together?  What a WASTE of time and a LOT more bulk.

A BIG boo boo


This was definitely a SHOW STOPPER and the quilt has been sitting there for months. I am also going back to the designer on this one. This is NOT acceptable and I could (would) NEVER sew this together the way she designed it. If I rip off those pieces it will be a HUGE job and a waste of fabric, so now I have to redesign the border -something I shouldn't have to do.

Another beef - people DO NOT read nor do they listen. Do you know how many times people ask me stuff and I have already sent an e-mail outlining the information??????   I send e-mails so I do not have to repeat the same thing many times. I guess they glance at stuff and then do NOT retain it. OK - so I am not perfect in that respect myself, but people - PLEASE - if I post an e-mail about class requirements, signups, locations, etc - refer to that document!!!!!!!!!!!!   I put it together for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And if you have a beef or a question - I prefer that YOU ask ME - don't ask someone else. Someone else DOES NOT know the answer or have the power to do anything about it. Send me an e-mail, ask ME the question (or whomever is the right person). Let's cut out this third party crap.

My last beef of the day is people depend on me WAY TOO MUCH. The next person who asks me to do something - the answer is going to be NO. And the next person and the next.............  and so on. I am starting to feel like a mother to some of my friends/acquaintances. I do NOT get paid to be their mother nor to clean up their messes. And while I have been pretty good about NOT volunteering for anything in the guilds - I am already way over committed - but that is my fault. So NO ASKING or depending on me to do/get something for you. You are on your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    And yes I am guilty of this myself because I have passed the buck on a couple of things that I should have done. I will try to be better in the future.


OK - now that that is off my chest - I feel better.


I have to admit that sometimes - I am STUPID. Well not exactly stupid, but obviously I get the facts WRONG. Case in point - remember that book "Memoirs of an imaginary friend"????  Well for whatever reason, I thought the book was written by Matthew Green. I sent a request to the library to ask that they purchase the book. I got a note back that it was already in the catalogue and I got the book yesterday.

See the author's name - Matthew Dicks?????

OK - so what the heck is going on??????????????


Author confusion?????????


If you go to the link above - they have TWO authors names - Matthew Dicks and Matthew Green. What is going on??????   I never noticed that the first time and went with the first name I saw which was Matthew Green. Oh well - I got the book and that is all that is important.


Now PLEASE do not laugh at me for this next point. Even though I have done some embroidery - I am still a newbie to the entire process.

When we had our little class on the weekend, Marlene introduced us to a stitch called the FLY stitch which I have heard of (sort of)

Fly stitch - the partial row under the sad lazy daisy star.



Hmmmmm - the lightbulb went on. Want to know why?????????????   Well - every time I would see stuff like the stitching lines below - I used to do each part SEPEARATELY - not realizing that I could do them as one stitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    That is why we take classes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I definitely got my money's worth out of that class.

Bottom line of stitching can be done as fly stitch - not seperate stitches

Same on these snow flakes which are taking FOREVER - hopefully they will be quicker now!!!!!!!!!!!!   Although some of those points are awfully LONG to do as a fly stitch. 


Speaking of embroidery - have a look at what I have been doing lately..............



Getting the snowoflakes done on one of the BIG blocks of Winter Wonderland

I marked this with a blue wash out pen and over the years (yes - years), the markings have faded - likely with humidity. So before stitching anything - I have to touch up the markings. I am now heading into the trees and the question is - rinse it out and start over - or try and touch it up???????????????


I have a couple of small embroidery projects that I have to get done. I started one yesterday. I decided to try a different marking tool - the Frixion pen that I have been resisting FOREVER. It did make a great line and was easy to use. And since this is all just back stitch - I am whipping around this one pretty quickly. Pretty cute!!!!!!!!!!!!   (I will touch on marking pens at a later date because marking stuff on fabric is near and dear to my heart!!!!!!!!!!!)


New embroidery project (oops - a new project - well it is for a class so it doesn't count!!!!!!)

While preparing my block for the class this morning, I managed to get another border on the Christmas quilt.


Two borders on - only 6 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got row one done on the first Halloween quilt



I also got the elephant cut out for Marian!!!!!!!!!!  
And here are the girls (wet from the pouring rain again this morning) waiting for their after breakfast treats!!!!   They are so regimented. We CANNOT possibly get the routine out of whack!!!!!!!!!!!!



Well after fighting with the computer for TWO hours (Hmmmmmm - I wonder what is my biggest beef????) OK OK - I NEED to shut the computer down EACH NIGHT to allow the memory to clear. With all the pictures I load and all the web sites and my OVER STUFFED e-mail box - the memory on this computer just can't hand the entire mess. Hey if ever you want a computer challenged - just give it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now (I can see Marian jumping up and down and saying YES YES YES), I would like to test a Mac with the same size files and careless use and see if it stacks up!!!!!!

The Team Fitness class - well they just keep getting better and better. Poor Maria - she has "trouble" keeping us under control. But it was an excellent class and I am a bit stiff today!!!!!   God - I even had to have a quick cat nap yesterday at Monday Motivators - thank goodness there is a sofa in one of the rooms at the church!!!!!!!


On that note - have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment