Wednesday, September 26, 2012

BOO!!!!!!!


Halloween seems to be the theme around here lately.

Ronda came over on Sunday and we sewed the entire day. Very productive!!!!!!!!!!
I was working on one of her Halloween quilts. She wanted minky on the back of her quilts. Oh boy - the minky is barely the same width as the quilt. I thought I would be so smart and load it - I am GOOD - I don't need to put anything extra on it. After I loaded it, I thought "I am NOT THAT GOOD", so I took the back off and added extensions to the quilt.


The quilt is the lime green on top and the blue/green on the bottom is the extension that I added to the backing. The THIN black line in the middle is the EXCESS backing. 

Same deal - other side. There is NOT a lot of extra backing 
 Now why do you need that extra backing?????


Because you need to have something to place the clamps on from the long arm. This helps to stabilize the backing and prevent wrinkles. And if the clamps are too close to the quilt top, the machine will catch on them and STOP and potentially make nasty looking patterns at the edge of the quilt. OK - so it was MUCH easier to quilt after the extensions went on. 

Ronda's Halloween quilt - QUILTED

Here is the back - doesn't that look fun!!!!   This one has plush on the back since the store didn't have enough minky for two. 

See - there was BARELY room for the quilt on that backing. 

The quilt got trimmed and the binding sewn on. She took it home with her!!!!


TWO DONE - seven to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got ambitious (OK - so I was supposed to be doing other things), but I wanted to get this done.

Linda's Halloween quilt - DONE

Trimmed and bound - waiting to be picked up!!!!


THREE DONE - Six to go...............


And look what colour thread I got to use on the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Still using invisible thread on the front. Actually turning out quite nice. The tension is just PERFECT - that is why I wanted to do as many as I could at once. 

Traced this and cut it out at Monday Motivators. A small wall hanging (supposed to be a pillow). Was in the latest Quilts and More magazine. Just needs to be stitched and finished.  Maybe in time for next Halloween



Finished the embroidery on this small wall hanging. Supposed to be framed, but I will make a little wall hanging. 

One more border, bindings and backing project DONE - finished quilt top

The backing and binding also DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then I had a moment and started to work on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler (Elm Creek). I know - who would have thought??????????   I have 41 blocks to finish. So here is the first.


Block done for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler


I also made good progress on several others and hopefully can sneak 10 in by the end of the week. I KNOW - FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS. There is so much and I am starting to skip from one to another. Need to FOCUS.


Despite the floor being mopped MANY times, it is still icky, although not nearly as icky as it was on Friday night. Here is my kid attempting to mop the floor. And since she works at McDonald's, she KNOWS how to mop floors. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - a little more elbow grease would have helped it.


M mopping the floor. 

And remember that orange dish????   I found a GREAT use for it!!!!!!!!!!   Just don't tell the dentist!!!!!


M wants to go into a fashion program once she finishes high school. Oh boy - that is going to be a lot of work. They have to submit a portfolio and for someone who doesn't have much drawing experience - this could be a problem. Well she has taken some fashion illustration classes and has been practicing drawing, she is doing pretty well.


Shoot -I can't find the pictures she sent me - well have to post them another day.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I should stop by and get a treat from that 'fantastic' orange bowl!

    <3 Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent it to your rogers account...

    -M

    ReplyDelete