Monday, September 1, 2014

The URGE to PURGE!!!!


There is nothing like jumping in with both feet.  I will confess that I am "mostly" an organized person, however I have several areas in my house where things are a bit out of control.  For me the worst area (and the studio does NOT even come into the mix here - that is a creative space and so is mostly off limits) - anyway - the worst area is the dining room.

In the eleven years that we have lived here - I don't think we have eaten in there once!!!!   Nope - not our thing. I used to use it as an office until I moved that all down stairs. And there was one point where you could barely get into that dining room. Improvements have been made, but it still becomes a dumping ground (by me). While I was away - I kept having visions of how much nicer this room could look if all the crap were gone.

And so - here are the before pictures...............


That side board is mostly full of odds and ends

The desk  - the surface of which is completely jammed with stuff

The table - again - the surface is jammed with stuff

The bookcases - jammed with stuff and a few boxes on the floor

The supply cupboard - mostly organized but full of (OK - so there are a lot of journals in there)

The filing cabinet
A filing cabinet - that is supposed to hold nicely organized files. Well - the cabinet is mostly empty as I am a piler, not a filer and so I figured I had better start with the filing cabinet (I know - the most organized looking spot) so that when I came across stuff that needed to be filed - I would have room to put it.



Got a stool to sit on, the label maker, the shredder, the recycling bin and I was ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I shredded a lot of stuff.  I am one of those people and I get this from my mom - "Oh this paper could be useful.  Yes - but for what?????? "  I had VISA statements from 1995.  Well - there is a small stack left to shred this morning - I didn't dare keep going - I thought the shredder was going to over heat so I did it in batches.

I sorted through files, I dumped a lot of stuff, I organized, I labelled and well - there is not a lot of stuff in that filing cabinet this morning.

Let's see - I have one drawer for all my quilting business stuff, one drawer is for manuals of appliances or other stuff around the house (I even had the manual for our weed trimmer!!!!!    But it is gone now - hey - the manual did say - DO NOT THROW OUT). One drawer is for personal stuff - not much in there and one is for financial stuff - but since most stuff is on-line - I imagine that drawer is going to be very empty as well.

You definitely need to be in the mood to do that. I just pitched and shredded. I was exhausted as I didn't sleep well the night before so I needed the occasional nap to keep me going. Came across a couple of things that went in the throw away bag, came across a couple of prints that I wanted to get framed (the order has already been processed and they will be ready in two weeks).  Oh yes - I was a busy girl yesterday.

This is how it looks this morning - I have a few folders to label before I put that stuff back into the cabinet. 
Also made a TO DO list - like we need new wills and other stuff.

Of course - my eyes did wander a bit and I looked several times at the book cases.  I did move a few things around there and well - LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!!!

An ENTIRE stack of magazines and books on defeating clutter.   I think it is hilarious that it is in this room.   But note - that everything was TOGETHER.   I just don't think I need ALL that stuff since I pretty much know what to do - just need the motivation to get it done.  I grabbed one of the magazines (from 2006) and started to go through it - some neat ideas - I am sure there will be a couple that will be useful. 
This is what was removed from the room so far. Two bags of shredded paper which will go in the green bin, some stuff to give away, stuff for the dump and the recycling. 

This is today's task.  That drawer needs to be glued back together, the chair cover needs to be recovered and all the crap on the desk needs to be dealt with. ACK!!!!!!!!!    

I need to find the motivation to keep going.  I keep imagining what it would be like to walk into the room and just plop a piece of paper into the appropriate file folder and walk out and NO MESS.   Now wouldn't that be awesome??????   And it will happen.  I have attempted this room on several occasions and each time - the amount of clutter gets less, but it would be so nice if I could actually get it completely done.   Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I had a fabulous surprise when I got home.  Our backyard has gotten to that stage where it desperately needs to be ripped apart and new stuff put in.  At the very least - it needs a severe pruning.  Well - look at my backyard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Just off the deck

The pond (and where is my sumac?????)  (it got cut back, but it ain't dead!)

Beside the gazebo

The secret garden



Yep - DH hired someone to come in and they whacked EVERYTHING off.    I really should be out there while it is whacked off and actually remove some of the stuff.  But I have to say - whoever did it - did a great job and it looks so much better.  Now I feel compelled that I have to get the dining room done since I don't have to be outside whacking stuff out!!!!!    What a fabulous surprise!!!!!



HOWEVER - look at my dog.....................


Do you think they could have brushed her at least???????


Ah - all in an interesting day at my house.

On that note - I have to get to that desk because then I need to get some sewing done today or I am going to get fired (by myself!!!!)

And if you want to learn some interesting things about Free Motion quilting and spools of thread - check out QUILTSocial this morning.   OH MY GOD - I learned so much from this episode.  I am going to be so smart - I won't be able to live with myself.

Got to run - got a date with the shredder!!!!


Have an awesome day!


Ciao!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment