Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Sorting and filing

 Oh shoot -- I forgot to post these other empty things from the previous day! I emptied TWO bobbins from my machine embroidery project!

Two empty bobbins


Yeah! It's always exciting when you actually use/finish up things that you have. No -- it doesn't mean I can buy more as I do not need more. I have loads of bobbin thread. 

As for that digital sorting? I'm making progress. While I'm good at creating file structures, I'm equally as bad at randomly loading files in the root directory for convenience. So, I went through my OneDrive yesterday and deleted or put those random files in the appropriate folder. 

My somewhat clear directory on OneDrive



Then I sorted two folders, renaming files or creating subfolders as needed. Many of these presentations do NOT need to be saved, but I like to keep them to review them if necessary. It'll be easy to delete the file folder at some point. 

One nicely sorted subfolder



This morning, I worked on one more. I mean, seriously -- how descriptive is a folder called "Documents" only to find pictures for blog posts, Monday sewing, embroidery files, actual documents, and much more! I need to give my head a shake and get myself better organized, and I'll do it one folder at a time. I know some folders will take time to clean up, but that's OK. The point is that it'll all be better in the long run! 

I need something to wear on my feet in the house. I could wear socks, but in the humid air, of which we've had a wee bit, my socks feel damp, so that won't work when trying to keep their feet dry. I'm not good with bare feet, so I looked in the closet and found a pair of occasions. OK -- these are NOT going to work. 



Slippery soles


The bottoms are way too slippery for my liking, and they are just an accident waiting to happen. Since they are still in pretty good shape, they are in the giveaway box! I hope to have new sandals today. I had to order them directly from the company because I couldn't find them at a local store. So -- if you have shoes or other footwear that you are NOT wearing and it's for a specific reason, then ditch them. Personally, I think ANY footwear with a slippery bottom (and yes -- all those fancy leather soles) should be banned! They are accidents waiting to happen! I will NOT wear them. 

As planned, I dug out the brown scrap box during Monday's sewing and started cutting. 

Starting to cut the brown scraps



And when I was done, this is what the boxes looked like. The one at the top of the picture is the pieces saved for the next round of scrap cutting. The middle is the cut-offs that will go into a pet mat. And the bottom one is stuff that still needs to be cut. I made progress, and that is what it's all about -- progress!! I figure a couple more Mondays, and I'll be done. I'm good with that time frame. 

My brown scrap boxes

OH -- how many pieces did I get cut? Well, there were a lot of larger pieces in this container, and I cut quite a bit in those four shapes. 

The results of my scrap-cutting session


I also found some larger triangles, which got put in the appropriate tin so I can make hourglass blocks from them. 
Large triangles got pulled



Hmm - someday, I should rejig that storage space so ALL the scrap stuff can be in one spot. It's in two places right now, but with all this processing I'm doing, and once I start to sew, it shouldn't be hard to contain it all in one spot. 



Notice how I have to backtrack on everything -- sorting digital files, sorting and cutting scraps. It's one long organization thing going on in my life, but I'm OK with that. However, it would have been much better if I had been diligent from the beginning. But you don't know what or how you work when you start something, so how do you know what will work for you? 

Thankfully, in both areas, I've been somewhat diligent, and things are more or less in the right place. It's the fine-tuning that I'm doing now. 

So I walked over to Diane's with more fabric and got finished quilt tops in return. That is a great exchange! 




Four finished quilt tops


The first photo is what I picked up the day before, and the second photo is what I picked up yesterday. There is still more to pick up! And I have a few more things to drop off. 

More community project quilts



But I got several small bags of scraps, and imagine my glee when I spotted a whole pile of BROWN scraps. 

More brown scraps!


I was debating what to do with it all, and then I thought - this is MY fabric, so I put it in the container of brown scraps that need to be cut! Yep --- I'll get it used up! 

I have a few other scraps in that bag to process, and I'll see what I can come up with. 

I didn't get a quilt quilted, but it's on the long arm. Instead, I made miles of binding and started to bind those quilting samples I made the other day. I'll be working on that today, as I need to get them finished. 


Binding


And as I walked through the park, I spotted these trumpet flower buds. They are starting to open, and the hummingbirds will be in love! 

Trumpet flowers starting to bloom


OH - so DH thinks I'm a dolt, and perhaps I am! But there are times when Smartphone apps and I do not agree. I HATE passwords with a passion - I suck at keeping them straight, which is part of the problem. But I have a Scene card that will not work when I try to sign into the app. I thought it was still linked to my old e-mail address, and well, it was a runaround, yet it seems to be collecting points. 

So I must have spent 20 minutes with it last night after dinner, and he was about rolling on the floor at my antics, BUT I think I got it working! OK -- bring on the next app! OH -- I know which one that is -- my PC Health app. These things don't work as slick as you would think they should. And it's the logins that are a pain!


I had to go to the library to pick up a book. It was so long ago that I forgot which book it was, and when I looked at my account, I was surprised (OK -- so I wasn't) to see that I was charged for a lost book. Oh crap -- I knew it was still at home, but I had ignored the notifications because I was traveling. So I returned that book but still had to pay an admin fee for the mix-up. 

Then I looked at the Lucky Day loans, which you can have for seven days. HEY -- there's a new Stephanie Plum book. OH -- it's a paperback, but it must still be new. Turns out the book was released in 2022, and I'm just seeing it now! I have seven days, but those are very quick reads, so I'm reading that. 

And then I started my new audiobook - The Golden Sppon by Jessa Maxwell. OH MY GOSH -- this book is hilarious. It's about Bakeweek, and there's a murder. If I didn't know better, it's a direct spoof on the Great British Baking Show, down to the neurotic contestants and the two hosts! It's written from the perspective of each contestant and the primary host, and each has a different voice. It's hilarious. No murder yet, but we know it's coming! I can't wait to get back to reading it today, but I have some writing to do, so not sure how much listening I'll get in! 

And on that note, I'm out of here! I've got loads to do today, and I should be addressing some e-mails and voice mail. UGH! 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!









2 comments:

  1. My in-house-only shoes are Birkenstocks and I keep them under my long-arm. If it's too warm for my rubber bottom fleece lined slippers, it's Birks. They are also my go-to summer shoes so I have 3 pair total ;-)

    Happy Scrap Processing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Birks too. Currently when I have a spare minute I'm sorting my scraps by colour so they can go into a bin with a lid and then come with all the other stuff as we frantically pack to empty our house so we can sell it and move to our new house!

    ReplyDelete