Sunday, July 23, 2023

Grand Reopening!

Well, I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. DO NOT do something new with the blog, and then leave the house! That darn link didn't work, so as you can see, the class list is on a post in the main part, and I'll see if I can fix that later. 

Here's the link to the post with the classes, just in case you didn't see it. 


Yesterday was a long day, but we had a blast at the Grand Reopening of Sew Productive in Acton, and thanks to everyone who came out! Here's a picture of the official ribbon-cutting ceremony. The space is HUGE with a beautiful classroom where the store used to be in the back. 


The ribbon cutting ceremony at Sew Productive



The mayor was there, and we chatted about sewing, although I think she needs a new sewing machine! The kids were adorable, and that young girl, only 9, will be running the store soon! She was so cute as she greeted people when they arrived! 

Emily and I got to chat with the owner of the building, and what a story. It used to be a furniture shop many, many years ago. Sadly, only three tiles remain from the original tin roof. But the floors are original, and they are gorgeous. If you're in the area, be sure to stop by, and if you want classes, let Melinda know so she can scout for teachers and make it happen! 

And look at all the yummy food you missed! I swear that tri-color Gouda threw me for a loop with those colors, but it was YUMMY. It's made with goat cheese, red and green peppers! A wee bit spicy, but bring on the spice! 



Charcuterie board from The Holland Shop in Acton

Tri-color Gouda


So a long day with four demos back to back! But so much fun to see everyone and to show off a few things. I think everyone went home with their heads swimming with things they could do! 

Then it was the Virtual Retreat last night, and I managed to get the bindings on two quilts for someone. I had contacted them that their quilts were ready for pick up, and she asked if I had put the bindings on. AH - NO! So that is now done! 

You may remember this next quilt. I was at a guild, and someone brought in the quilt that had been found in a closet - a chest - I forget. Let's just say that the quilt now belongs to me, and I bought it -- I did not steal it! OH -- I should say that it's only the quilt top. This is 1/4 of the top, and it's HUGE, but it's made entirely from crimpoline/polyester/Fortrel -- whatever you want to call it. 


A crimpoline quilt top

But look at those wild colors! It's crazy, as I've never seen so many patterns of this kind of material in my life. The stuff we had back home was mostly solids. Notice that all the seams are hand embroidered.  

Details of the fabrics



I don't know if (or how) to finish it off. It would be kind of hard to quilt it. So I'll contemplate it and see what I come up with. I might also check around with some other people to see the typical way of finishing these quilts. 


Remember that after the two classes this morning, there's a Virtual Retreat until 8 PM. I have to say that I heard a few grumblings about shutting down at 9:17 PM instead of letting them go on for hours, but HEY -- this is Zoom. It's good to get together, but sometimes too much of a good thing is too much! 


But here's the link for today, and we start at NOON. 



July 23 Starts at Noon -- ends at 8 PM. 


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86119598156?pwd=ZDFxcElxS0NmeTRjczdSR2FXd3N2Zz09

Meeting ID: 861 1959 8156
Passcode: 053861




And on that note, I'm out of here! The presentations are done, and I've taken more pictures for my writing assignments, and all is good!


Have a great day!


Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment