Friday, July 21, 2023

The end of the rainbow

The good news is that I will announce all the NEW classes/clubs I'll be running in the fall. I will try putting them on ONE page so you can print them out. That's a job for later today, and if that fails, I'll make a separate blog post so it's all in one spot! Feels good to get that done! Watch for that tomorrow!!!!

I think I should throw in a free class on how to take pictures with your cell phone! Do people realize that we are no longer buying/leasing cell phones but cameras??? That is the ONLY reason people need to get the latest one. The phone functions we use don't change, but the cameras do! So if you have a smartphone, you should learn how to use it!

Cell phones have oodles of parameters, and it would be great to figure out the optimal way to send photos. I know what works for me, but that doesn't always work on other platforms with different apps. 

I'll have to think about that one!

First, I'd like to pat myself on the back. Look at the office space. The floor is tidy with one bag on it, which has already been moved. The desktop is relatively clear of paperwork. I've been slogging away at it and actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!



A relatively tidy office space


There was still one stack of paperwork that needed to be gone through. So I quickly did that to see if anything urgent was in the pile. Nope -- so I processed a couple of things, and the remainder is in a neat stack on the computer desk. Who said you can't get ahead of the paper? OK -- so I am by no means ahead; I'm treading water and holding my own!

One more stack to process


Of course, I had help. This is Murphy under my computer desk. I think she's mostly there to get away from the stormy weather. She is NOT a fan of thunder and unsettled skies. Lexi, who used to be terrified, couldn't care less, although she gets a bit edgy if it's really bad. 




Mom -- can you protect me? I'm scared!


Have you ever asked yourself what you would do if you didn't quilt? I was a fanatic for logic puzzles, Sudoku, and other puzzles. A trait I got from my paternal grandfather, who loved puzzles of any kind. So I've got a Suduko book sitting on the kitchen table and plugging away at various puzzles during lunch. 


My lunchtime entertainment



And it's all been going well until this. Do you spot the problem? What do you do when that happens? I simply erase the entire thing and start over! 

Oops


Lately, there doesn't seem to be time to sew - it's all work. Quilting customer quilts, writing (which is very time-consuming), and prepping for classes. By the end of the day, I have no desire to sew something of my own. I hope to change that in the fall! 

I had to drop off a FIT test - don't ask -- they are gross! So that was my errand for the day. I found a drop-off spot within walking distance, and away I went. I had wondered what time they closed. Well, I got lucky. I arrived at 3:07, and they closed at 3:00. Phew -- just snuck in under the wire on that one!!! 

They are making significant progress on these new condos/apartments now that the underground part is done. 

New apartment buildings under construction


I think it's very sad that our city is so happy to raze down entire retail complexes to build housing. Never mind the added chaos to the traffic congestion, services, etc. OH, and I was walking into the mall parking lot, and I was in the middle of the WELL-MARKED crosswalk, and some idiot just blasted through the stop sign and, within two feet of me, drove past. Of course, I yelled at him! I don't get why people feel they are a priority in their cars. 

What we need to do, is encourage MORE retail space if it will encourage people to walk. Of course, that won't happen, but seriously --- we need to be getting our butts out the door (or encouraging the younger generations to do so), or our medical system will collapse under the weight of unhealthy and unfit people. I know that is a general statement, so don't yell at me. 

The other thing I saw yesterday that scared me a lot was a young person with a helmet driving one of those electric scooters (not the kind seniors drive), but the two-wheeled ones. He was in a live traffic lane and must have been going 40 KM -- there was traffic on the street behind him. He would be dead if he slipped, fell, or hit a bump! While I appreciate the scooters, they are DANGEROUS to have them on the sidewalk with people and on the street with cars. 

Well, that was a lot of doom and gloom! But it's true. There are days when I contemplate starting a new blog that is more opinionated than this one. But I haven't ...... yet. 

I have one thing to say about money, and I know this is out of the blue, but it's very much a part of my life these days. Amazing how your friends and family are all happy and cheerful, and the minute any significant amount of amount comes into the pictures, the VULTURES arrive. It's so sad and so greedy. There are a few people I could love to get out of the picture for a couple of weeks! 

Another customer quilt is done! That's the last of the customer quilts for a spell. I need a break. 


Customer quilt - DONE


And one more cone of thread - gone!

One more spool of thread



DH and I went out for dinner last night - I know - Thursday instead of Friday. And while we were there, there was a bit of a storm. As we were sitting there, I got a notification that our front door was open. WHAT? We both accused the other of not locking the door when we left the house! How quickly we forget who was the last one out the door. So we quickly finished (almost done anyway) and rushed home to find the door securely locked. Hmmmm.


Then when I went to finish the quilt on the long arm, the settings were off. The pattern wouldn't fit in the quilt. So I shut everything down and got it working. But I suspect we had a power glitch that caused both problems. We will have to train those girls to text us to say everything is OK. But of course, if the door is open, they'd be happy to explore! 

As a result of the storm, I saw this before I went to bed. I  need to ask Evelyn if she found a pot of gold as she lives in the building where the rainbow seems to be coming out of!!! 


A beautiful rainbow



And it was a complete rainbow. I took this from another window. Not the best, but you get the idea. 

A complete rainbow



And, of course, there's Murphy and her ball. There is not ONE, but TWO Balls in that gap. We really need to get that fixed. But she sits patiently, well somewhat patiently, until we realize and come and rescue the balls. Again, this is not an accident! 


MOM -- there are two balls here! 



OK -- so watch for the class blog post -- either later today or tomorrow. 


And OH MY -- I forgot there is a Virtual Retreat this weekend. Here are the Zoom links. 

Saturday, July 22 - starts at 6 PM  --- NOTE the retreat will end at 9 PM sharp!


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797



Sunday, July 23 -- starts at NOON and ENDS at 8 PM sharp!! 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86119598156?pwd=ZDFxcElxS0NmeTRjczdSR2FXd3N2Zz09

Meeting ID: 861 1959 8156
Passcode: 053861




Remember that I'll be at the reopening of Sew Productive on Saturday, July 22. I'll be doing some demos, so be sure to get yourself signed up for those. The demos start at Noon and run until 4 PM. Check out this website for more details and how to sign up. Melinda is a relatively new dealer for Husqvarna Viking and a new quilt store. We need to get out there and support our local shops!!!!


Plus, there are a few classes this weekend, and I'll forward Zoom links later today or tomorrow. Actually, we have one tonight, so I must get that link out.


It's going to be busy!!!!

On that note, I'm out of here to continue the writing progress!!!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!
















2 comments:

  1. As a RN, you are absolutely right! We're already in big trouble and it seems to be growing rather than resolving. People eating pills to lose weight rather than consuming healthy choices.......uh yea, I could go on and on but I'll follow your example and stop there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Miss Murphy. Afraid of storms and losing balls. She’s a doll! Love the bright customer quilt! I have that pattern and fabric, your quilting really adds so much 🥰

    ReplyDelete