Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sunwapta Pass to Lake Louise

Daily Stats



Daily Stats

First we awoke to "sleet". It was just border line sleet. Not quite rain - not quite snow. YECK!!!!!!   And it was coolish!!!!!
Here is the thermometer in my tent. Upper left - it say 45 degrees F. Oh yes - it was a tad coolish. But again - I dressed in layers and I was fine for MOST of the day.

Sorry for the gross picture of MY leg, but we all got these wicked bites from something that was BIGGER than a mosquito!!!!

See the elevation (bottom right). Yep - that says almost 7000 feet!!!!!   And we cycled up and down many times to get there.
 Everyone was VERY apprehensive this morning because there was a WICKED descent to start the day. I think people were thinking of ice. Well it didn't help that it was raining - not pouring, but raining never the less and with the cool temperature - well we were all concerned.

Started off slow with a bit of a climb to the summit and then the descent. I don't think I have every been so scared on a bike. It was STEEP, it was WET, it was COLD and my hands hurt from holding the brakes because you did NOT want to let loose on this hill. It was twisty to boot. I managed to video tape the thing with my helmet cam which I will try loading to YouTube later. Now that I have easy access to internet - I shall try to download some video tonight.

Anyway we got part way down the mountain - over 1,200 feet descent in a very short time. Then we stopped in a pullout to have a look. Holy crap - you could see the road WAY DOWN BELOW. Are you kidding me????????   I don't think I can handle any more down hill. I bravely started out and turned the corner to find this amazing curved road - still descending, but at a much less pace. Thank GOD!!!!   But my teeth were chattering at this point and I couldn't stop them. Fortunately you cannot hear that on the video!!!!!!!  It was a quick descent and almost 2000 feet by the time it was over.

It was a shame that you couldn't really see the mountains - first the sped and then the clouds!!!!!!



Lunch at Saskatchewan River Crossing. |That's me in the red jacket!!!!!
 Then the fun began as we began a climb to the Bow Summit. We basically had to climb up to the same elevation. Thank goodness we had a much more gradual climb, but not to say that it wasn't tough. And we were all getting tired of the cold, the rain and the fatigue!!!!!
Top of Bow Summit

Elevation at Bow Summit

More scenery

Prisca riding ahead of me

Prisca started her day with a sliced tire. She had to climb back to camp to get it fixed. That sucked!!!!

 We are now in Lake Louise and back to civilization. It is a beautiful camp ground. And our first experience with Texas gates. The first one - I just rolled over because I didn't see it in time which was fine. The tents are across the river in a "zoo".  Basically the campground for tenters has an electric fence surrounding it and a Texas gate at the entrace to keep the bears away!!!!   It is a beautiful site.

Everyone in our group is tired - these are long days and the weather isn't helping. Although we did have a good pace line going - it is still a very tough slog. There is so much climbing!!!!!

After dinner - we did find another little shack close to our tents and there was a nice fire going again - compliments of Harold!!!!!!   I have to say that for two weeks our group has jelled amazingly well. We were so lucky with the greatest group of people and the nice thing is that everyone stuck together in the evenings - well most of the time. It was awesome.


Harold stoking the fire.

It is now time for bed. 9:30!!!!!!!   Although we did go to bed early - I usually read for a bit (if I could) and then try to sleep by 10. If not - then I was awake as some ridiculous time and then what?????  

I had quite a good little routine happening in my tent. It really worked, but you have to be organized or you are in trouble!!!!!!

Have a great day!!!
Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment