Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's all about the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It is time to clean up and clear up!  It is a constant battle and one must start with putting like items together.

A couple of days ago, I got the urge to get my patterns a bit more in order than they were. I was looking for something and couldn't find it so had no choice!!!!!

Although many of the patterns were more or less organized, the larger patterns - 8 1/2" by 11" patterns were NOT.  They were sitting on boxes and in boxes and well they were just all over the place.

I took all the over sized patterns and laid them on the table........................


My over sized patterns (and NO ONE is allowed to comment on the quantity!)

Sorted out the paper piecing ones (OK - so I like Karen K Stone and Judy Neimeyer)
The paper piecing ones got put into a box and labelled - the box is JAMMED
Booze boxes are the perfect size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is what was left. ACK - what to do with these?????
 I decided to sort them by applique, 100% pieced, a mix of the two and embroidery


These are the applique patterns - YIKES - I should NOT be buying any more patterns!!!!!

This is the embroidery, the pieced and the mixed patterns - that is a manageable amount!!!!


I am currently going through the applique and sorting them by designer. Even though I am NOT making many of these quilts, I like looking at them, I like contemplating them as class material and so NONE of them are getting the chopping block!!!!

Now there is a box that I still need to go through. Either I don't want to keep the pattern or I need to figure out what to do with it.


A box of over sized patterns that needs to be dealt with


So yes - the organizing NEVER stops. But I don't mind - I actually like it - there is something satisfying about putting things in order. That Virgo thing surfacing again!!!!!

Time to get back to the sewing machine.  I started to cut the last pieces needed for the Bonnie Hunter mystery.

OK - so I only cut FOUR blue triangles.........


The end of Clue Five is coming!!!!!!!!!

Only 99 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other day I was at The Hobby Horse and I have always given the book case a quick peruse. This book caught my eye. Hmmmm - this is a GREAT book and sure wish I had it before I started designing the Block of the Month which is called Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.   Oh look - the price is $27 and I must say that I thought that was a bit pricey. I know - I'm cheap. However I did buy the book - it is an older book - published in 2004.


Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts by Judy Martin


While I do appreciate the new quilt books and modern quilts and all that, I think that my quilting journey is firmly attached to the HISTORY of quilting. Now a book published in 2004 is NOT history per se, but this book deals with the construction of the quilt, NOT how to quickly sew a quilt together and move on. I do NOT need instant gratification when it comes to quilting. The more pieces and the longer each quilt takes - I am perfectly happy with that, although I do like to whip a quick one up every once in a while.

I am looking for a book/pattern that I can use for an upcoming class I am planning. I thought this book might be perfect. Before I go ahead with my plans - I thought I should check around for its availability. Checked Judy Martin's site - no book. How about Amazon....................



US Amazon site


Canadian Amazon site


Whoa - I guess I got a steal on the book.



Here is Judith with her crazy patch pillow that she made.  I notice that she sewed a LOT of buttons on that pillow.  We got a good laugh over that because she does NOT sew buttons on anything else. Way to go Judith - awesome job. 


And when I got home, I had a few letters to run to the mail box and of course - little Sammy had to run outside. She plunked herself on the end of the driveway!!!!


Little Sammy on the lookout


I was tagging some more pictures last night and OH BOY - there are tons of pictures of little Sammy and Sparky.  A lot - I think they are going to pass M soon!!!!!


I finished reading the book "Love, Anthony".  Part of the book was written from Anthony's point of view. Anthony was a non-verbal autistic boy. Not sure if that is the right way to phrase it. But it was very interesting because he had TWO types of rules - the Always Rules and the Depends Rules. He loved the Always Rules because when A happened, then B followed. The Depends Rules had varied results. He had a very hard time coping with the Depends Rules because the outcome was never the same.   And it didn't have to be a situation that required a rule - it could be as simple as saying - "how are YOU" and "how is Anthony" and both meant the same thing!!!  

This book was very interesting and the part that was written from Anthony's point of view (while the book is fiction) makes you think about the world that people with austistism or other mental health disorders must live in.

Ruth tells me that Still Alice (about Alzheimer's is the best of the Lisa Genova's books) so I am putting that on my list of books to read.

Speaking of mental health - I hear that Clara Hughes is now riding the Dempster Highway on the way to Whitehorse. I have FOND memories of riding my bike on that highway.  Awesome job Clara!!!!!!!!!!

On that note - I have a great day planned and I had better get started on it!!!!!



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1 comment: