Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Motivational Monday (on a Tuesday!)


I was on my way to work yesterday and WAIT A MINUTE - it's Monday!  I wrote the blog post the previous evening not once giving a thought to the fact that the next day was Monday. Hence - NO Motivational Monday post.

However - here we are - Tuesday and we're going to talk about Motivation.

I did get lots done at the retreat and will be posting my accomplishments and those of my fellow retreaters as the week goes on. I had a look at the Task Master this morning and while she isn't happy because I wasn't able to check off more items, I did manage to check off a few and that made me feel good.

It would appear that I'm balking at sewing on borders and hand sewing labels.  It's challenging to properly sew on a border at the retreat. There just isn't enough space to properly measure and if I'm going to do it - I'm going to do it right!  So I'll book a day on the weekend and work on borders at home. Besides, Ronda and I were chatting about the April UFOs and guess what - more borders. And a bit of applique!  Hmmm - maybe I need to book a weekend date AND Ronda and we'll work on borders together.

There are those amongst us who relish in having variety and those who need to complete one project at a time. And some of us - well we have just way too many things to do!

But here's a link to a blog post that makes me happy. I would be absolutely bored to tears if I worked on only one project at a time. What happens if I don't feel like doing hand work (like the binding) or I don't have time to cut or whatever.  By having a couple of projects on the go - there is variety and hopefully, something will tweak my interest that day.

I'm good at writing things down and I'm pretty good at getting the things done. But what I'm not good at is prioritizing the quilts that need to be worked on. I MUST make a list of those quilts with deadlines and then make sure that ONLY those quilts are getting on the task master list. So that is my plan for this week although I've got a huge week ahead of me.

I see so many people on track and getting tons of things done!  That's extremely impressive. If you're not getting things done, then perhaps you're putting too many things on your list. Remember it's OK to just put ONE thing on the list for the week. It's better to check off ONE thing than miss on 10.  And if you keep letting the item slide, remember it's equally OK to ditch that project.

One very important thing to remember about quilting. This is YOUR HOBBY.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If it's no longer fun, then perhaps it's time to find a new hobby. If it's just one or two projects that are causing you grief - time to sit down and think very hard about those projects. Ask yourself these questions:

What is causing me to procrastinate on the project?

  • Is it time?
  • Is it a technique that you don't know?
  • Is it that you can't figure out how to get started again?
  • Do you like the project?
  • Do you still have a need for that project?


If you need help - why not send me an e-mail and a picture and I'll see if I get you started again.

There could be a couple of other questions you could ask yourself, but those will help. Depending on the answers and be BRUTALLY honest!  Then make some decisions about the project - keep or give!

I know that I'm not good with the "give" category yet. At this point, I still have room for everything so I just set them aside and hopefully do not put those items on my task master list.  But one day I will have to make decisions, but not today.


Here are a couple of events - oh yes - I want to get the entire list up, but that isn't happening!


April 4   (TODAY)    I'm the guest speaker at Slope to Shore Quilter's Guild.  The location is Stars Arena and Community Rec Hall, 425 River Road, Wasaga Beach.  The topic is scrap quilts!   The meeting starts at 7 PM.

April 8  (Saturday) - West End Modern Quilt Guild (unofficial title!)   will be meeting from 10 AM - Noon.  This is the first meeting and we're trying to get a chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild started in the west end of the GTA.  The meeting will take place at Streetsville Kinsmen, 321 Queen Street, Streetsville.   Going to be an open discussion of the guild objectives, show n tell and how traditional quilts are the groundwork of the modern movement. A small fee will be charged to cover the room rental. E-mail me if you can't make it and want to be added to the e-mail list.


And on that note, I've got a busy day ahead of me.  It's going to be a long evening, but I'm excited. I can't decide which of my trunk shows that I like to give. Oh heck - I like them all!  My car is packed with quilts - I'm ready!.

Have a super day!

Ciao!










No comments:

Post a Comment