Sunday, April 9, 2017

Take time for yourself


First I have to say a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU to those that showed up for the West End Modern Quilt Guild (unofficial title) meeting yesterday!  I was totally blown away by the response.  Now don't get me wrong - there weren't hundreds there, but given the fact that some couldn't make the time and date, we had an excellent showing for a first meeting. Get this - we already discussed and decided on a cap to the number of people in the group!  I know - first meeting and we're talking capping the numbers!

I'm super excited - it's a good group of people with a huge variety of talents and quilting backgrounds. At this point, I'm not sure if there is any room left!  BUT for those of you who have e-mailed me (and sorry - I haven't responded) and for those that I have already sent an e-mail to - you are on the list if you wish to officially join the group.  I'll be compiling and sending out an e-mail later today to all of you who responded.

The meeting was amazing, so many questions, so much to learn from each other - hence the reason to keep it small so we can ensure that the hands-on experience and answering everyone's questions will be met.  I did take some pictures which I'll share later this week.

Normally at a guild meeting, I have a quick bite to eat before I get to the meeting. This past week, that didn't happen as the traffic was bad and I had promised the speaker I would be there at a specific time. I got the speaker organized and then went to get a sandwich and when I got back, I managed to eat the sandwich while chatting to a lot of people.

Someone mentioned to me that I should ensure that I take time for myself.   Despite the fact that you all think I'm running around like crazy, I would like to say that NO ONE should worry about that. I've very good at taking time for myself. Yesterday, I went to lunch with a few of the meeting attendees and when I got home at 2 PM, I grabbed a chair and a book and the two dogs and we sat in the backyard until 6 PM when it was getting cool, they were getting hungry and I finished the book!  Yes - I should have been quilting, but we had more important things to do!  It is very hard for me to keep my nose out of a book and I have averaged almost one a week for the last 10 years.  Nope - I don't think I'm sacrificing ME time to anyone!

Here's another picture of a project that I did at the retreat. My witches!!!!

Witches

This a pattern from Buggy Barn. You are supposed to use EIGHT blocks in the quilt and what do you do with the last one?  Well - I'm changing it up and putting all nine blocks in the quilt. As I was working on this quilt, I realized that I only had EIGHT pairs of legs, not nine.  Someone reminded me that they remembered this same scenario from a previous retreat and guess what - I never put fabric in for the last pair of legs.  The fabric is NOW in the project box so it will get done this next retreat. But this time at least, I did get the blocks sewn together. They were only half sewn last time.

I swear I also had a basket with more fabric for this quilt hanging around the studio. I looked but didn't find anything.  I did find the one I was looking for in the Halloween fabric stash so I must have filed everything away BEFORE the quilt was done.  GASP!!!!   Anyway - I will trim the blocks before I leave and cut the necessary pieces so the quilt can be assembled. It may not have borders, but it should be together.

So far, I'm respecting the two tote limit and I'm thinking that I might not even get through the first one! We'll see. There are lots of small things that need to be finished or advanced to the next stage.  It might not take as long as I think to wing my way through them. No worries, there is a HUGE project in the second tote that will take days just itself. I won't run out of things to do.

It certainly hasn't been a week for sewing.  Look - I haven't even unpacked my sewing machine yet. It's still in the front hall. That has never happened to me!

No sewing machine set up!
 I've been trying to clear up the mess from all the coming and going these past two weeks.  This is how the studio looked this morning.

The cutting mat was a mess

The staging area (you can never have too many of those!) was also a mess

The ironing board was a write-off

I'm happy to report that the cutting table is now free (at least half of it) and I've been busy prepping things this morning. A couple more to cut and then I'll be packed and ready for the retreat.

The ironing board is in pretty good shape as well. The staging area?  Well - there is stuff there that needs to be prepped for the retreat. I hope by Tuesday evening, it will be clear.

Got a couple of small URGENT projects that need to be done by tomorrow AM. They are cut and ready to sew. Guess I'm going to have to get that sewing machine downstairs. And I've loaded a quilt on the long arm this morning so that needs to get done before I leave as well.

Never a dull moment. I don't think I'll be sitting outside with the girls today - but you never know. I do require a break from time to time and I have a new book sitting here waiting for me to start.

The girls and I have already been to the dog park. They're just a pair of loony tunes, but I see that Lexi was blogging again!

On that note - I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment