Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Border options


At the end of 2016, I made a list of UFOs to finish for 2017 and then in 2017, I made a list for 2018 and I'm currently generating a list for 2019. I chose one project for each month so a total of 12 UFOs each year.

Have I finished the list for 2017? No. There were thirteen projects on that list - I added a bonus one. DUH!!!  But here's the thing - in total, there weren't 13 projects on that list. One of the UFOs resulted in FOUR quilts, another had enough blocks to make three quilts, and many others had at least two if not three. There are still four projects on that list, but I'm making my way through them and the tally so far for those "13" UFOs is that there will be 24 quilts from those 13 project boxes. That's why it takes me so long to finish things!!!

Case in point - I finished the top of a scrap quilt yesterday. It was on the 2017 UFO list and was originally supposed to be ONE large quilt. Well, I'm done with large quilts so I made a few extra blocks and ended up with three large lap quilts.

I sewed the quilts together at Monday sewing and instead of putting the same border on all three, it was decided (with a little help from my friends) that each quilt should have a different border. Now that's a great idea so I went along with it. Here's what I ended up with. Which one do you like best???

Border option number one - one fabric for the border. There's a small 2" border of cream between the blocks and the outer border. This version was easy and the quilt top was finished weeks ago. The binding matches the border print. The backings are also made for all three quilts.

Option Number one - plain border


The second option was a piano key border. That one took a wee bit more time to put together, but a good use of scraps and didn't take that long. This one has a scrappy binding.

Scrap quilt with a piano key border


The third option was suggested by Jane. Now, who needs enemies when you have friends who suggest a checkerboard border???  This border took a long time to complete and it seemed like I was constantly making more sections. However, it was a great way to use up the remaining squares that had been cut for the blocks. This one has a scrappy binding. Thanks, Jane - I do like the end result!

Very scrappy quilt with a checkerboard border
The original pattern comes from this book called All for Fall. I bought the book years ago and I remember working on the quilt at a retreat - probably several retreats. 


All for Fall - the pattern book for the scrappy quilts


Here's a picture of the quilt from the book. They put a plain border on the quilt, but the edge was scalloped. No need for that.

The original quilt

The book is by Annie's Quilt Loft which is probably defunct by now. Or not. The book was published in 2003 and it was probably shortly thereafter that I started it. Only 15 years to make three quilts!

All for Fall by Annie's Quilt Loft

Over the course of construction, there were many note taking sessions as I figured out how many blocks I needed. I found all this paperwork in the pattern. It's now history.

Calculations for the three quilts

This picture was taken when I first started the quilt. It was the fabrics that I pulled from my stash to make the quilt. I'm pretty sure that picture was taken in our previous house. We moved in 2003 which matches the date of the book. Oh boy - I KNOW there are more projects with a similar story which is why I've created those UFO lists. One by one - they will get tackled. One by one, they will NOT be forgotten.


The fabrics pulled for the scrap quilt 15 years ago!!!!


Funny thing - this quilt was started 15 years ago and even though some of the fabrics are "dated", the quilts still look awesome. I know many people who toss earlier projects for a number of reasons. I'm not ready to abandon what I started. I still like everything that I started! Even though my tastes have changed over the years!!!

Yesterday at the Monday sewing session, I also managed to get two more blocks done for that little paper pieced wall hanging for my Mom. Four down and five more to go. When I got home from Monday, I went through my scrap buckets and pulled fabrics for the remaining five blocks. This shouldn't take long to complete - just keep working!! Make my Mom happy and cross this project off the list - also started a long time ago!


Four paper pieced blocks for the fall wall hanging


And I completed this block yesterday. I had purchased it as a kit at the Ailsa Craig quilt show a "few" years ago. It's from Green Mountain Quilt Studio. Paula Doyle has a certain way to make those little half square triangles using freezer paper. The method is way too fiddly for my liking, but I got the block done. We got batting, backing and binding in the kit so I've got that to finish another day.


Block to turn into a mug rug or a mini quilt

I forgot to show you the backing that I made for that strippy quilt made with panels. You can see the original picture here. This is the quilt backing. It's very scrappy and I'm OK with that. It shows the panel that was cut up and used on the front and I got rid of most of those greens in my stash.


The backing for my panel/strippy quilt

I managed to eke out "enough" fabric for the binding, but when I did the calculations, I realized I was 14 inches short. I checked out the green scrap bin and found a 24-inch long piece of the same fabric. PERFECT - that was meant to be!!!


Enough of a scrap for the rest of the binding

This is all that is left of those greens from Sandscapes and Artisan Spirit from Northcott. Don't anyone ask me for greens from those collections - this is all I have left.


All that remains of the greens in these collections


This moves one more quilt to the "to be quilted" pile. I haven't taken stock in a couple of months, but the last count was 210 and I know that there's at least 10 more that have been added to the pile. That's obscene and sad, but I've got a plan!!


Another quilt added to the "to be quilted" pile



Thankfully the UFO projects on the 2018 list are mostly "one of" projects. I'm a long way from completing some of them, but those projects are HUGE and intense applique in some cases. The list for 2019 is much tamer than the previous two years with the intention of catching up!


I've got exciting plans for the weekend. If you live in the area of Earlton, Ontario, I'll be at The Quilting Barn on Saturday, December 1 from 10 - 3.  Here's a link to the shop's newsletter where you can get more information.   OR you can check out the Facebook page of The Quilting Barn.  I'm super excited to be sharing two of my passions - quilting and sewing machines!

Then on Sunday and Monday (December 2 and 3), I'll be in North Bay at The Sewing Machine - again, I'll be sharing my love of quilting and sewing machines. Be sure to call the shop for more details.

There's no need to be a Husqvarna or PFAFF customer to attend. Come and check out the latest and greatest and I'll be sharing some great quilting techniques at all the events.

And let's not forget that there's another post in QUILTsocial today. Even if you're not in the market for a sewing machine, check out the post. This new machine is incredible and I love how you can customize a sewing machine to work for you!!!!

Husqvarna Viking Designer Brilliance 80 sewing/embroidery machine


On that note, I'm out of here! 

Have a super day!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment