Sunday, November 25, 2018

Sir - you have good service here!

We had an amazing show and tell yesterday at the final class for 2018 at The Hobby Horse. Lots of pictures got taken and I'll share those with you this coming week. No promise on the date - it's a bit of a crunch week. And I want to share the projects that we've got lined up for 2019. More fun!!!!!

Today, I have other stuff to write about.

I was searching in the stash tubs that reside in the studio. This is the secondary stash. Anyway as I was digging through them, I found this quilt top. I made this a couple of years ago. It's like a jelly roll quilt or whatever those quilts were called.

Jelly roll race quilt

Except that it wasn't a race and it wasn't a jelly roll. I took several of these Northcott panels and cut them into 2 ½" strips. I added a few coordinates, joined them all into one long roll and made the quilt top.


The panel that was used to make the quilt


Hmm - I didn't have anything designated for the backing. But it would be fun to put that panel on the back so you can see what the front was made of. I dug through the same tub and found some bits of coordinating greens (Sandscapes and Shimmer). Not enough. Then I dug through my personal stash and found this.

More fabric for the backing
I'm sure between all the bits that I now have enough to make the backing and binding. Perfect. One more "UFO" will get moved to the "to be quilted pile" before the end of the year - I hope. I might even work on that backing today at Sit n Sew.

At the last Sit n Sew, the girls filled my scrap basket that sits on the cutting table. I don't have any pillowcases handy that I can use to make cat mats so I popped over to the Thrift Store after they left so I could get a couple of pillowcases. I know there are lots in that cold room, but to find them is another story. The shopping trip was way faster and pillowcases won't go to waste as I envision a whole lot more scraps in my future.

I always have a quick peek at the bookshelves looking for anything interesting. I found two novels with the word quilt in the title. Amish quilts from the look of the cover. Not the same author either. I've added them to my bookshelf of books to read. 


Quilt novels found at the Thrift store

When I was having troubles with my long arm, I was looking for different clips/clamps to hold some of the cables out of the way. I found this very inexpensive clamp at the hardware store. It works like a charm and keeps all the heavy cables off the floor. That was a great fix!!!

Clamp on the long arm to hold the cables out of the way

I was on a tear to get stuff tidied up as I'm tired of moving it. I did very well I thought. Of course, it doesn't look like that right now as I have a "few" projects sitting out that I'd like to get completed this year. Since there's one corner that I don't need for Sit n Sew today, I shoved it all there. If I'm focused, I can work my way through all that before the end of the year.

Yesterday I was working on a small project and needed to "baste" the three layers together. I wasn't thinking about what batting scrap I picked up, but it happened to be 100% polyester. I think it's Thermolan. Let's just say that it's NOT a good idea to apply a lot of heat to that product.

My batting MELTED
 Yep - the polyester batting melted and you can see how the one end got distorted and it's hard because the fibers melted together. Well - that's interesting! It would have been fine, but because the top of the project needed extra pressing, I was holding the iron in place. I shouldn't have done that with all three layers together. I should have pressed the top WITHOUT the batting inside. Oops!

I got another customer quilt done yesterday. It just needs to be trimmed and then it'll be ready for pickup. I hope to get that done later today.

Customer quilt - DONE

I think I'm down to seven to get finished before Christmas. That's doable. My January is booked also so I'm accepting quilts for February if anyone is interested.

This morning, I'm putting the binding on that MASSIVE quilt for a customer. She's coming today to pick it up. The first round is on and I'm off to finish the second pass which is sewing the binding to the top of the quilt. Yep - way easier with the sewing machine. That's about 450 inches of binding!

Sewing on the binding by machine

Notice anything on the wall???  See that black pennant? That's from the Ruby Star Society. When I was in Houston, they were handing them out. I snagged one and now it adorns my design wall. Can't wait to see what they release in their first collection next year.

Ruby Star pennant

Gosh - remember all those pennants we collected as kids? I'm sure that I still have mine around here and I know exactly where they are. That's scary!!!

OH - you're wondering about the title of today's post. Well, I was at Tim's yesterday. It's rare that I go now, but from time to time, I grab a tea and perhaps a cookie to go along with it. Hey - I'm allowed - do you know that I've maintained my weight since March. I have that 5-pound range and I've never strayed above or below.

Anyway - I no longer go the Tim's that is closest to my house. The service is  S  L  O  W.    And they have two lanes painted on the driveway but people panic and think you're going to steal their place in line so instead of forming two lines like rational human beings, they make one line that extends into the street. I hate that.

This other location has the two ordering panels and the service is fast and good. Yesterday when I arrived at the window, I started to say "you have the best......."  when he said to me "we don't have oatmeal raisin cookies - is chocolate chip OK?" Since he already had the chocolate chip cookie in his hand, I said "sure". Then he handed me my tea. I was driving away when I smelled that it was NOT a tea but in fact coffee.  I parked across from the drive-thru window - he looked at me and I shouted - "it's coffee, not tea". He shouted to the back - "black tea" and then I exchanged the coffee for a tea in the drive-thru while I was on foot!  I know - not allowed, but who cares. It ended up being a black tea, not decaf, but I survived.

It was just hilarious that the day that I'm telling them that their service is the best, they manage to screw up my entire order!!!!  Still - they were extremely fast even in fixing the error. I wonder who got a decaf tea instead of their coffee?

On that note, I'm out of here to attempt to finish off that binding before the sewists arrive!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment