Thursday, November 29, 2018

Training


This is the FINAL week of the year that's filled with craziness. The good news is that it's already Thursday and tomorrow, I need to be in the car for my trip to Earlton and then North Bay. I'll be teaching some cool events on quilting and sewing machines. I'll be in Earlton at The Quilting Barn on December 1. Call them to get yourself booked to the event if you're in the area. I've got my eye on that panel she has on her Facebook page. Doesn't it look awesome?

Then it's off to The Sewing Machine in North Bay for two days of excitement - Sunday and Monday - December 2 and 3, where there'll be a different program about different quilting techniques and products. I can't wait to share all my experience with the quilters in that area.

I still have a LOT of work to do today. I have a quilt to finish - yes - it needs to be quilted and bound so I can get it to the courier tomorrow. However, I'm still piecing the blocks! Oh yes - the madness continues. After this quilt, there is ONE more urgent quilt to be done this year. That doesn't mean I can slack off, but some of the pressure will be gone and it'll be my job to ensure that I work on the projects when they are NON-urgent so they don't become urgent! Good luck with that!!!!

I also have to prep for the trip - pulling together the necessary samples and props. Hopefully, that won't take too long. Everything is hanging over the banister upstairs. I really must take pictures one day so you can appreciate the magnitude of the situation. Let's just hope that banister is solid!

I had a day of training to attend yesterday. I wasn't 100% sure that I was going to go and I certainly didn't have the time, but I went anyway. It was close by, although I left the event at 3 PM (near the airport) and it took ONE HOUR to get home. No accidents, no stalled cars - just HUGE volume at 3 PM. That trip normally takes 20 minutes. GRRR. Oh well - - move on!!!!

The training was interesting - a BRAND NEW (to me) machine to play with. An embroidery machine that's called a multi-needle because it has TEN needles. We were partnered up, but I got to do most of the playing. Hm - this machine looks scary but once you know what you're doing, it's not that bad. Essentially it's an industrial embroidery machine - so if you own a small business or do a LOT of the same embroidery (like T-shirts, hats or tote bags) - this is the perfect machine to do that work on.



Multi-needle embroidery machine
And here's a close up of it stitching out. It even does hats!!! The concept is the same as the domestic embroidery machine - just bigger and more robust. Plus the fact that there are TEN needles so you don't have to change the thread - that's automatic. That's a huge time saver if you're in heavy production mode.


Multi-needle embroidery machine as it stitches out




When I got home, I had to have a wee nap because I had been up late the night before getting some computer work done. Then I was off to teach the last class at Oh Look Fabric for the on-going quilt project. Cathy was a student in the paper pieced Christmas tree class last week (Pattern by Jitka Designs). Look at her progress - I love seeing the finished or in progress items after the class is completed. Great job Cathy - this is going to be an awesome project when it's finished. At this rate, I think she'll get it completed by Christmas.


Paper-pieced Christmas Tree


Then it was onto the show and tell for the quilt class. It was a four-part learn to quilt class.

First up is Anna's quilt. The top is together, basted and she's done some of the quilting. It looks awesome and a great choice of fabric even though one of them was directional and that meant being very careful with the placement of the blocks and the piecing of those blocks.

Anna's quilt in progresss

Cathy chose very cheery modern fabrics for her top. I love the color combination. She's done stitch in the ditch quilting between the blocks, but wants to add some more quilting.

Cathy's bright and cheery quilt

Giselle chose a subdued quilt. She had completed the quilting which looks AMAZING. Just a nice wavy line across the front with the lines overlapping a wee bit to get a ribbon effect. She did a fabulous job. That coloring reminds me of a type of candy that I can't remember the name of.
Giselle's quilt top
 Susan has started the quilting on her quilt as well. I'm loving the straight line quilting in the blocks and even after a few bloks, you can see an amazing difference in the lines from the first to the last. Just goes to show that practise does make you better!!!!


Susan's quilt in progress


That's so exciting to see the end results of the learn to quilt class. Hopefully, they are all hooked on quilting and we'll see them back for the next quilt project.

It's that time of year to be finalizing the details on the next batch of classes. I'll be sharing the projects and the shops where I'm teaching them next week. There are some very exciting classes coming up!

On that note, I'd better get myself together and get ready for a busy day. But it's going to be nice to sit in the studio, turn up the radio and just sew, sew, and quilt. Nowhere to go and no other commitments except to get this quilt done. Oh yes - I have other things to do, but they will have to wait until next week.

Don't forget to check out QUILTsocial today. Let's just say that I'm not perfect and I decided to share that with you!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

4 comments:

  1. Say hello to Lynne at The Sewing Machine from Bonnie in Nackawic NB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie -- I will. I've heard absolutely GREAT things about Lynne! I can't wait to meet her. Glad you're enjoying the tutorials. I love the Brilliance - it's a pretty awesome sewing machine. Let me know if you have any questions. Elaine

      Delete
  2. I just purchased the Brillance last week and love the tutorials you are posting. They are very helpful. I am unfortunately a long distance from my dealer so can’t pop in to get help. The pictures add to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete