Wednesday, November 21, 2018

It's Red Mitten Day!!

I love how things just seem to happen. Coincidence? You decide.

And FYI - there's a NATIONAL day for almost everything you could think of. Anyway - it's National Red Mitten day today!

I was doing laundry on the weekend. I threw my scarf, down sweater, and cloth gloves in the washing along with everything else. When I went to go out later in the day, I could only find one cloth glove in the clean clothes pile and I didn't have time to dig through to find the other one. So I grabbed a pair of red mittens from the hall closet.

You have to keep in mind that I bought those red mittens (in support of the Canadian Olympics by Hudson's Bay) for M for a couple of years. As teenagers are, some of the mittens may have got lost or misplaced. Let's say they are misplaced. I grabbed two red mittens and ran out the door, only to discover that I had TWO right-hand mittens and no left hand. Well - no choice but to wear them like that. They were very toasty warm, just didn't feel right on the left hand.


Two right hand mittens - no left!

Yes - those mittens are from the 2010 Olympics. These are the FIRST pair of mittens that were sold. So? They are still very toasty warm and no reason to buy new ones. I have located the second cloth glove in the clean clothes and I really should look through the closet to see if there happen to be any left-handed red mittens!!! Otherwise, I may have to go and buy a pair today to support the Canadian Olympic team.

I got that gigantic customer quilt done yesterday. While the batting the customer had provided was wide enough, it wasn't long enough so I had to join two pieces that she had given me. That meant there was a LOT of batting.

It all pools on the floor and makes it very hard to walk.

LOTS of batting
 No worries - a couple of quick folds and the batting is now safely out of the way. No sense cutting it until the quilt was done. Could save a couple of inches and it's not a big deal to do this.


Batting folded neatly out of the way

See what I mean by a large quilt? It's about 110 inches square!!  The quilt is off the frame and ready to be trimmed and bound. Oh yes, I get the fun task of putting the binding on for the customer! No worries, I've done tons of bindings so it's not a big deal for me.


A huge quilt on the frame

This is the Kaleidoscope quilt that we did as a year-long project in 2017.  The one that I split into two quilts which were both still a very large size!

Customer quilt - DONE


Now that that one is done and everything else is somewhat under control, I hope to get the rest of the customer quilts done in the next couple of weeks. There's not many of them so that's the good news. The next one is ready to be loaded but I don't think I'm going to have time today. Today it's all about the computer. There are e-mails to answer and write, blog posts to write and edit, pictures to take and edit, patterns to write, webinars to listen to, software to learn. Oh yes - a fun day at the computer!!!!

Last night, we had a great class making the snowflake cushion. It's fast and easy - we used the Accuquilt die cutting machine to cut out the snowflakes and I know that some extra snowflakes were cut. That's awesome!  They didn't quite have time to finish the cushion. They basically had to sew the front to the back, but it was getting late. Look at the awesome job - neither of the students had done applique before. They did a super job.

Covers for the snowflake applique cushion


Here's my cushion cover. It's so darn fast to make.

My sample cushion cover



Tonight it's all about a paper pieced Christmas tree that can be turned into a small wall hanging or a cushion. Check it out at Oh Look Fabric. And all those yummy fabrics above? You can find them at Oh Look Fabric. There's also a rope bowl class on Friday night if anyone is interested. Again - super fast to make!!!!

On that note, I'm a little bit behind this morning. I've already done two major errands - well, spin class and Miss Murphy is already at the spa. Our house is dead quiet without her here. She's a busy girl!

One thing to leave you with today. Here's a great story about a young girl who participates in Row by Row who is going to be somebody famous one day. Hey - she's already famous!!! Check out her story.   The issue? How to get more kids like her involved!


I'd better get to those e-mails.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!



4 comments:

  1. Paige is amazing! Thank you for sharing her story and her quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Nope - Ronda's is done. She's attempting to sew the binding on, but it's taking her years to get that done. It's totally out of my hands. This belongs to someone else in the class.

      Delete