Saturday, August 10, 2019

The clock is ticking


I've got two days to get the rest of the stuff done that I need to accomplish. I'm in pretty good shape, but there are still things that need to be done. Hopefully, most of them can be cleared up today?? I doubt it - it's going to take the two full days.

I made four labels yesterday and they are trimmed and pressed. I'll sew them on the quilts when I get out west. Yes - I've packed scissors and threads. I was going to do a photo transfer of the original map for the Hot Guy quilt, but the photocopy didn't turn out great so I'm going to make a fabric envelope for the back of the quilt and put the original in the envelope. Got to do that today! Made the binding for the T-shirt quilt. That has to be put on today. That covers all the personal stuff that has to go.

Then back to sample making. I'm done with the stitch-out samples. Well, I'm done all the stitching that going to happen before this trip. There's a few that still need to be trimmed and sewn back to back. That's also a job for later today.

They look amazing on the vinyl and I'm really happy with them.

These first two (they are double-sided but you're only seeing one side) are from the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC.

Sequin stitches 
Applique stitches

See - those applique stitches look awesome when they're all trimmed down.


This one is from the PFAFF Creative ICON.

Stacking stitches


I'll be teaching a class at The Hobby Horse in November on using decorative stitches. I know most of you don't have these high-end machines, but we're going to try using ANY and ALL of the decorative stitches on your own machine to make some cool things. That's on the agenda for when I get back home.

Four blocks on the magazine quilt are on the design wall. Five to go. The next three are mostly cut and partially assembled.  I'll get as much done as I can before I leave and the rest will be a cram day when I'm back as the quilt will need to be quilted as well. And it's due on August 28th. That one sort of snuck on me. Oh well - I'm still doing pretty good compared to what I used to do.

I got another customer quilt done yesterday. This one is gorgeous - I love the colors. It's waiting to be trimmed. I have to sew the binding on (one side only) however the customer is on vacation so there's no rush. It will be trimmed and bound after I return. See - I should be sewing the magazine quilt instead of quilting, but I have a commitment and I'm sticking to it!!!

Customer quilt - DONE

 That leaves two projects to embroider and a couple of demos to prepare and then pack. That's going to be the crazy thing - This is my suitcase. I can load 50 pounds in it and not pay extra (other than the normal baggage fee). I have a feeling that I'll be taking two suitcases for check-in. It's just not all going to fit into one. I'll share with you what I'll be taking.


The suitcase that needs to be packed


I was at the library the other day and picked up the latest copy of Sew News  (August/September). There's an excellent article on sewing machine needles. I learned a few things that I never knew. If you get a chance to review the magazine, check out that article.

Not that I need this, but it's so darn cute. Of course, we all know about Row by Row which is certainly declined in the last couple of years. They went too big too fast and no one wants to collect tons of rows year after year. But this COLLABORATIVE quilt is so cute. And Chicago is not that far away. I give Row by Row one more year - two at the most. I wonder what the quality of the pattern/kits is like?? The kits are laser cut so it would make sense to buy but at what price???

Thanks to you all - I now know what kind of running shoes to buy (cross-trainers with leather uppers) and that the Tony Hillerman books do get better. I just need to persevere. Thanks so much for the info!!!!

So here's another question for you. Where the heck can I buy SINGLE measuring spoons or cups?  I may just need the tablespoon for instance and I don't want to buy an entire set just to get the tablespoon - same thing for the measuring cups. Any ideas????

And I'm looking for something that seems to be quite elusive. It's a Clover product called the Mini Flower Loom. 

Clover Mini Flower Loom


I would prefer to NOT purchase this from the big on-line shopping store. I HATE them and refuse to buy unless it's a last resort. Our Canadian Micheal's doesn't have them. If you've seen them in a local store or your local quilt shop - let me know. I'd rather support them than that other place.

Now here is something so very cool and we need to find a way to make this happen and sort of fits in with the above comment about shopping. I'd be happy to take on someone - I don't know anyone but if you do and they are local???   Hey - I should contact that Mom who brought those two girls to the store the other day. Basically - I need to find someone to mentor in the quilting world. What a cool thing to do.

On that note, I want to get out on my bike this morning and then it'll be pedal to the metal for the rest of the day.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!


4 comments:

  1. Looking for lost and lonely measuring cups and spoons?? Try the second hand stores. I live in the US, so perhaps your second hands stores are different, but there is a local Goodwill near me that has a whole kitchen section in the store and has any type of kitchen utensil you could imagine. I know you go to second hand stores for other reasons, so start looking at the kitchen sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA - good plan. I'm going to check that out on my next trip. Actually today is 50% off day, but I don't think I have time to go. Those measuring tools and cups won't be expensive anyway. Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  2. Maybe try Triangle sewing centre in Guelph for the clover loom

    ReplyDelete