Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The retreat MUST go on

 I have to say that I was a bit distracted yesterday. Thanks to everyone who scrambled to do some research, and we have TWO retreats booked. I had planned on four retreats for this coming year, and I need to book at least one more later in the year, but with all the prep that I had to do yesterday, I could only manage to deal with two of them. A lot of e-mails went back and forth. 

I'm happy to report that I'm EXCITED about the new places and well, I can't wait to get there. 

Here are the two that I've booked space at. The first one is called Retreat at the Farm. It looks like a beautiful property - a large sewing room with loads of windows! We're going for a weekend, not our extended weekend, but thankfully, the same weekend we had scheduled was free. PHEW!!!!


The second space is in Muskoka, and the house looks huge and beautiful, with HUGE verandas on the outside. Let's hope it's not black fly season, but there's a beautiful glassed-in porch, so we're good either way. This one is called Seams Appropriate

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the research, and have a look at those sites. If you are interested in a quilting retreat but don't know of one, send me an e-mail. I have a few other people, and if we can get eight together, we can go!!! 

I feel better today, knowing that that is organized, but I'm still going to miss Fireside Retreat. This is the second quilting retreat that has closed down. The first being Quilter's Misbehavin in Bracebridge. It doesn't matter - as long as there is a retreat to go to - I'm in. Perhaps we should just pool our resources and buy the retreat house?? That would be fun! Where's my winning lottery ticket? 

And for those of us that can't make a retreat at this moment, don't forget that there's the Virtual Retreat this weekend. From the comfort of your home and from wherever you live, you can have fun with a group of quilters. I'll post the links tomorrow, but it's Saturday evening from 6 to 9 PM and Sunday, from 10 AM to 8 PM. It's loads of fun - I get lots done, and I get to visit with friends, and we get to meet new people as well. Stop by and say HI!!!

I can't say enough about how Zoom has brought quilters together during the pandemic. Guild meetings, quilt shows, sewing days, you name it - quilters have embraced this technology, and we're getting together. A pandemic is NOT going to get us down!!!

Between the research and phone calls, I madly prepped for two presentations. I have three today, so it's going to be a crazy day again! Each time I tweak the presentation to make it better! I'm getting very good at whipping up a video and inserting it into the presentation, editing photos, and I'm darn quick about it, which is very helpful!


Speaking of photos, this is what I've done in the last couple of days when I've had a few moments. I will say that NONE of this is urgent or has a deadline. Of course, when I think I'm going to be ahead, I work on stuff that I shouldn't be, so I have to sew like mad to get the homework done!! My own worse enemy - Yep!!! Guilty as charged. 

I got all the arcs for that Double Wedding Ring quilt trimmed!!! That was a lot of trimming, but I had a couple of Zoom calls, and while I sat and visited, it was the perfect thing to do. 


The trimmings from the Double Wedding Ring arcs


And here they are!!! All trimmed, so it's onto the next step now, but that'll have to wait until next week. 


The units are trimmed


I was on a roll, so I dug out my version of this same quilt and saw that both Unit A and Unit B needed to be trimmed. 


Unit A before trimming


I'm happy to report that ALL the arcs are now trimmed and ready for the next step. In case you are wondering, I'm making a much smaller version of the quilt for myself. 

Unit A is now trimmed for my version of the same quilt



And I dug out this basket of color-sorted supplies. It's for a reason, and you'll have to wait to see it. I'll be working on this little project tomorrow morning. Everything is cut and ready to sew - by HAND!

 A basket of color-sorted odds and ends



Hey Sheila!!!!  I got this note when I picked up a book from the library earlier this week!!!! That put a smile on my face! What I love is that a simple little note like this can brighten up an otherwise bland day. So don't be afraid to say HI to a stranger or write a note for someone. It can make their day!!!


A note from Sheila at the library



And I had a few adventures during my walks the last couple of days. I think people in the neighborhood must be reading my blog. Do you know how many people STOPPED for me at an intersection or a driveway? It was getting creepy!!!  But I truly appreciated the gesture (the law) and gave them a flat palm which is a thank-you sign. But it was unnerving, to say the least. However, I won't be letting my guard down any time soon. 

I fell yesterday morning when walking the dogs. It was a BRUTALLY slippery morning, so the walk moved to the forest and was shorter than usual. I was fine - I landed on my butt and my wrist, but all is fine. I don't think I even got a bruise from the fall. But just goes to show - that you must be on your guard ALWAYS. While I love the warmer weather, the above-zero temperature causes the snow and ice to melt and freeze - the sidewalks are not fun!! Stay safe!!! Wait until later in the day when it warms up, and the ice has melted. 

I have also been working on these blocks - when I shouldn't be!!! 

Look - there are four more blocks done!!!




Four more scrap blocks


And another four!!


More scrap blocks


Wait - there are four more!!

And more scrap blocks


And even two more!!!!

And two more!


There is ONE set of two blocks left to sew together. I didn't have time this morning as I had to get a homework assignment written and sent out. Maybe tomorrow. I'm happy to report that even with the fiasco that occurred to these blocks (totally waterlogged when we had the last leak in the basement), I never lost ONE piece!!!!

The last set of scrap blocks


Here's the stack of finished blocks. I'll have to get Summer Moon sewn together so I can put these on the design wall. That might be a good job for the Virtual Retreat - finish Summer Moon. 

All the scrappy blocks so far


Here's the stack of prepped stuff sitting on the cutting table. I have to laugh when people say, "how many projects do you work on at one time?" Well, in this stack alone, there are probably TEN projects, never mind the one on the ironing board and the other projects that are done for this month, and so they are put away. Why work on one when you can work on many??

Prepped sewing for the retreat


Let's hope that today is a bit calmer and quieter - HA - I already know that's not going to happen as with those three presentations that have to be prepped and some homework assignments that still need to be written, time is of the essence. 

OH - the audiobook? It disappeared with 14 minutes left!!!!  I know - I was like, WHAT????  So I have to get the book back so I can listen to the last 14 minutes. I might even reread it as it was very complicated, and I know I missed some key points. That's what happens when you listen to an audiobook without paying close attention to the plotline - I missed some stuff. 


So I must get myself organized and off to start the day. I don't even have time to think of something for you to clean today! You're on your own. Honor system, or just have a day off!


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment