Saturday, February 26, 2022

Why I love Facebook

I have accounts on several social media platforms, but I don't hang out that often. I know people frequently post pictures of whatever, but I post various photos of my girls and sometimes a project or two from time to time. But I mostly use social media for my classes - at least these days, and I use it to stay in touch with people in my life, but not close enough in distance or relationship to see what's going on. 

My brother's MIL is not well and likely won't make it out of the hospital. Her daughter just posted some pictures of her Mom, and while I never got to know her well, she is a wonderful lady and so nice to be reminded of all the worldly travels they took. 

And then I got a bit of a shock yesterday when I saw a post by a friend of mine, who I had met once, but we stayed loosely in touch through Facebook. I knew he was ill -- he has had ALS for some years and would post updates on things on Facebook. He also was an avid reader and would post his recommendations on Goodreads, and I loved reading his reviews and often read books he recommended. 

He was also an avid cyclist, and I remember asking him for advice when I was embarking on one of my long-distance trips. Several years ago, I made him a quilt with bicycles all over it. He said they hung it up in his room to view it every day. I got the nicest thank you note from him for it. He was such a gentleman. 

Well, you know where this is going. His condition has deteriorated, and it was time to say goodbye. He wrote the nicest note on Facebook to basically say goodbye to all his followers. He has chosen MAID, and I can only thank goodness that we have that option available to us. He made a choice to go with dignity or what dignity he had left. All the comments from his friends were gut-wrenching -- this was a well-loved and fantastic guy. 

But without Facebook, none of us would have been able to participate in his final years and get to say goodbye to him. So I say -- keep the staged stuff off Facebook -- who cares how many "likes" you get for a post. Use Facebook wisely -- it's a lifeline! 

He was also a brilliant man, and when he was first diagnosed, he proceeded to get rid of all his bicycles, tools, and everything else that he knew he could no longer enjoy. Can you imagine that happening to us with all our sewing machines and fabric? 

Rest in peace, Alan -- you will be sorely missed, and I'm going to have to choose my own books now! I wrote him that when we both cross the Rainbow Bridge (or is that just for pets?) that we need to go on a long ride together, but no hills! 


Anyway - enough of that. 

We had snow yesterday, and I had to take my MIL to the dentist. Of course, amid that darn snowstorm. The roads weren't too bad as the city was out in earnest, but I was more worried if I would run out of gas. OK -- so I like to live dangerously. 

My car has one of those calculators showing how many miles you have left in the tank. I wonder how accurate it is? This happens when you get below 100 KM left in the tank.

Low fuel indicator

 And then, on the monitor, you can see the countdown. I thought I shouldn't risk it below 35 KM! I know --- your dad told you to never go below a quarter of a tank. Well -- I don't care! My dad never said that! 



OH -- almost out of gas


I've never run out of gas before. Although I remembered years ago, DH got a new company car, and it had something similar. He was bragging about how accurate it was and how low he could run that tank. And BAM -- we ran out of gas! I have to laugh whenever I think of that story, and if that ever happens to me -- I'll never tell him! 

I put $70 worth of gas into the car. That's for 47 liters, so you know the tank was pretty empty. I've never put that much in my car, EVER. The price of gas here is $1.558 per liter. 


Here's an update on our group Virtual Walk across Canada. We're going to make it before the deadline of June 30! We're getting close to the Quebec/Labrador border. There are 21 groups ahead of us, but we're currently in position 72, which is pretty darn good considering that we are a group of 4 and none of us are runners. There are many groups with lots more people in them. We are the first little marker on the bottom left in this photo, and we need to go to the top right! 



Our progress across Canada



At our pace, we should finish by the end of March, which is one month ahead of what I had initially planned! Go team, go!!!!

Speaking of walking, this is Princess Murphy yesterday before our walk. 
MOM -- my paw hurts!!!!


Poor thing -- she hates standing at the door waiting to go out at the best of times, but with a sore paw? OH -- let's be a total drama queen and make it look way worse than it is. She was fine the moment the door opened. 

It does seem to be better, and she is licking it less, so that's a good thing. Thankfully, she doesn't even notice there's a pill in her food and gobbles it down! 


I spent most of the day sewing! I got all the sewing done for the three classes today, and for the most part, the presentations are done. OK -- let's be honest -- two are completely done, and one needs to be assembled!

Next week, I'll be tackling that paperwork to catch up on what didn't get done over the last couple of days. 

I swear this shoveling business and trips to the dentist with my MIL are time-consuming! And we have an easy situation with my MIL, as I know other people's time is much more consumed by elderly parents! I'll put that in my gratitude journal. 

Here's some show and tell from the second UFO group. OK -- this is totally weird -- it loaded the pictures in reverse order again!

Sharon is working on her 2000 Piecemaker Calendar and making excellent progress. The top is together, and she's working on the little bits of applique - birds in the trees, animals in the fields, etc. This quilt is STUNNING!!! 


Sharon's Piecemaker Calendar


Nancy is working on Fancy Forest by Elizabeth Hartman. Here are her 16 foxes. 



Nancy's foxes




Morgan was quilting quilts and finished one and a half quilts. This is the half, which is on her bed, still with some safety pins in it! I LOVE that. 

One of Morgan's quilts

And here's the other quilt that she quilted. This is absolutely adorable, and I love how she customized the people, including adding her dog to the quilt. I forget the name of the pattern, but it's LEGO people. 


Morgan's quilt - DONE


Mary finished the applique on the fourth (of 4) blocks. Now she's in the process of hand-quilting the blocks. 


Mary's appliqued Dresden plate block


Liz got the top (without borders) completed on this Marti Michelle pattern called American Beauty. Gosh -- we did that as a sew-along or a block of the month at Cockadoodle, many years ago. 


American Beauty




Shoot -- I don't have time for the rest of the pictures, so I'll post them tomorrow. But we are really cooking up a storm in those UFO Clubs. So much is getting done, and many of these projects have sat for YEARS. UNTOUCHED!!! It's so nice to see them get resurrected and finished. That warms my heart, and when it comes time to downsize, I'll be thrilled to pass along a quilt top or two or maybe even a finished quilt. That will undoubtedly be a whole lot better than passing along a box with an unfinished project in it!


On that note, I have just enough time to walk the girls before the classes this morning. 

Don't forget the Virtual Retreat TONIGHT!!!! 

Here are the links for today and tomorrow. 



Saturday, February 26   --- starts at 6:00 PM  EASTERN 


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797



Sunday, February 27 -- Starts at 11:30 AM  EASTERN


Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81693717518?pwd=STNoVVQzbDd4ZnROQndNNlpvcC90QT09 Meeting ID: 816 9371 7518 Passcode: 579285



See you tonight!!!

Have a great day!!

Ciao!!!!

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment