Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Don`t try this at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


A normal quilt consists of a top, batting and backing. And in normal circumstances - the top and backing are cotton. However I have experimented with Plush or Minkee and it has worked just fine. So when a customer asked me to use a velour blanket on the back????   - Well - why not. It wasn't stretchy like the plush so that was easy. I just pinned the blanket on like a regular backing and quilted it.


Here is the quilt
 Oh -and I thought you would be interested to see what colour thread I put on it. I mean, I see people trying to match the thread colour exactly and well - I just grab something that is close and no problems...........
Here is the thread colour for this quilt - doesn't match the blue and doesn't match the beige. That means it will show EQUALLY on BOTH fabrics.  Very important with an overall design. 

Detail of the pattern

Close up of the light - do you see the thread?????

Close up of the dark - do you see the thread??????
 You can't beat a neutral thread. I have a LOT of neutrals and I use them a LOT on coloured quilts. They blend right in.


Here is the back after it was quilted
Close up of the back
 My only comment about using the blanket - while it worked OK on the long arm, I am not sure that I would use it on a domestic machine. It is heavy and very SOFT so I think it would create a LOT of drag as you attempted to quilt it. But why not try a small quilt. Because this quilt also has batting in it - it is going to be ONE WARM quilt.




And here is another customer quilt that I got done last week



detail of the quilting - which is hard to tell

This is the quilting from the back - see the fish?????


Anyway - I think I have reached the limit of quilts that I can take in until after I am back. So - if you have a quilt you want quilted - well call me and we can talk. I have a smidgen of flexibility, but not much!!!!!   And as we get closer to that date, that flexibility gets less.


So I have another quilt to do today. It is custom but small so not sure I will be able to get it completed today, but sure would be nice if I could.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment