Monday, September 8, 2014

How to alleviate the guilt AND kill two birds with one stone!


Today was a glorious day. The sun was out, the temperature was moderate, the winds were a gentle breeze. I had the opportunity to do TWO different bike rides. However both started first thing this morning and DH had asked me to drive him to the airport.  Alas - I gave up the bike ride.

On the way to the airport he asked me what I was going to do today.  Well I said - by the time I got back it would be too late for a bike ride and I have loads of work - I'll stay inside.  He said that would be a shame and a waste of a good day!

Yes - he was right!  On the way home, I got to thinking - hmmmmm - there is a NEW quilt shop in Burlington. It is NOT that far from me and then I could ride my bike there, alleviate the guilt of driving, getting in my bike ride and justifying spending an extra $10 for the gas I saved!

Yes - brilliant idea!   I suited up, pumped up the tires on my road bike and I was off. Indeed - it was a fabulous day!!!!   I am so glad that I went.  It was a stunning day!!!!!

To get there, I took the "back" roads - stayed away from the traffic. Well as I was zipping DOWN Brant Street - I noticed that the descent just went on and on.  Did I really want to work my way back up that hill????   Of course not - and I had never been on the Waterfront Trail through that area so I took the WaterFront Trail home. It was almost 8 KM SHORTER than the way I went and NO big hill. A mere 73K round trip.  A breeze!

Have a look................


Ride to the quilt store


Now the hills around here are not that bad, but you do have to go up the escarpment - at least the way I went.  And it was nothing!!! I cruised up those hills like they were nothing. My legs felt strong - amazing what fresh legs can do for you!!!!!   It was just a brilliant ride!!!!!!!

Then I arrived at the quilt store which is in the Village Square in Burlington.  I think I surprised them - who would have thought that someone would ride their bike to their store?????

My wheels parked in front of the store

Inside the main room of the store

The back room
They have some very nice fabric, great patterns and lots of new modern quilting books.  It is light and airy. A beautiful little shop. I did manage to snag a couple of things, but I had no place to bring it home so I paid for it and left most of it at the store!!!!!   They will be hosting the Border Creek Station Mystery starting soon if anyone is interested. I might take a small backpack and go back and get my book!  I could have shoved it in my jersey - but I didn't want to.



You would not believe the difference between my two bikes.  No handlebar bag and this bike is slightly lighter than my touring bike. Not weighed down by a jacket - that bike was so light I kept thinking something was wrong.  I just ripped along the road at a ridiculous pace for most of the way!  Took me 1 hour and a half to get there - 40 KM. That included all the stops at lights.  And I wasn't really even pushing it!

Anyway - the name of the shop is the Village Square Quilt Shop.


After I left the shop, I zipped down to the Waterfront Trail which is mere seconds from their store.  Then I just hopped on Lakeshore, up Winston Chuchill and I was home.   I didn't even mind the traffic. I guess after the traffic we experienced IN THE RAIN on the way to St. John's, nothing could beat that!!!!!!



Lake Ontario!   There were a LOT of sail boats out, but none at this point of my trip and I was too hyped up to stop again!

Funny thing about all that climbing today - which wasn't really all that much, but my FitBit thinks I climbed 125 flights of stairs!!!!!    Stupid thing!


These are the two things that I brought home.  Bicycle themed of course!


I did manage to get some work done today on my striped quilts. Not as much as I would have liked, but enough to make me happy.  I have a big sewing day tomorrow and everything is prepped and ready to roll - I hope!!!

On that note - I am out of here.

Have an awesome day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment