Sunday, September 28, 2014

Northern Lights


I realized a couple of things yesterday.  One - I did NOT post the pictures of the Northern Lights class from last weekend. DUH!!!   I take these pictures for the purpose of posting them and then - POOF - something else comes up and my brain is off in another direction.

Second - I realized (no I knew this, but had never seen it before) that people can take pictures from my blog and do with them what they want.  No big deal - I would not make them accessible if I didn't want that to happen, but I was looking on Pinterest for Dragon Star quilts and WOW - that quilts looks a LOT like mine. No I am certain that quilt is mine!  I checked my blog and YUP - that was my quilt.  It had been reposted from a quilt store and well - I thought - I am getting ZERO credit for that picture SOOOOOOOO   (and this is if I can remember) to put my name on all my pictures.

Now when I was researching how to do that this morning - wow - I learned how to RESIZE all my pictures at the SAME time.  Well - I guess I knew that you could do that but never pursued it.  I learned a whole lot in a few minutes this morning.  That just might free up a bit of time - well not much since some of the pictures have to be manipulated (cropping and erasing - not just the size).


Back to Northern Lights................   This is the on-going class at Sew Sisters in Toronto.


We started the day off on a good foot - Judy's birthday was around the corner and Linda very graciously brought in a cake for her birthday. Thanks Linda!!!


Judy's birthday cake (hmmmm - I wonder if she likes orange as well or did the cake just come that way because it is autumn????)  


It is VERY hard to see but there is my name in the bottom right corner.  Note to self - make that font a bit BIGGER!!!!!!

Then we got into the show n tell. There was a lot as this was our first meeting after the summer.


They had to make TWO half blocks.  Don't forget - some are making the small blocks and others are making the bigger blocks

The next block - hard to believe that those blocks are all the same!!!   What a difference colour and value can make!

The next block

Block number four - again look at what the colour and value do to this block!!!!!

Block number five!!!   Oh yes - you can't have summer without quilting homework!!!!



There were several very ambitious people.  You may have noticed that some of the pieces above were more than a block. That was Marlene - a tad too much time on her hands I think. BUT

Look what Marilyn did .............................
Marilyn got her entire top together MINUS the two blocks that were assigned this month.  See - she is peeking through the hole where one of the blocks go!!!!

And Karen - figured out the missing two blocks and got her quilt DONE!!!!  Keener!!!!



Then we had NON - Northern Lights show n tell.
Marlene made this for a friend of hers. But she felt that it was too pale so......................

She made another darker version

And this is what she made with the scraps leftover - this will be the backing for one of the quilts



Hmmmm - I want to be a friend of Marlene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


But look at what Mary and Jane are doing.  I have to tell you about this pair.  I always see them together and  I have a VERY hard time remembering which one is Mary and which one is Jane. They have very similiar tastes in fabric.   I THINK I might have figured it out - next month will be the test to see if I can remember who is who!!!!   I have two other sets of students like that as well - Judy and Donna - always see them together - but I got them figured out now and the other ones are Judy and Veronica. But I think I have them figured out as well.

All that to tell you that Mary and Jane (I just call them both Mary Jane if I can't figure it out!) are in the process of making this quilt for a friend of theirs!!!!


Mary and Jane's quilt for a friend
 Awesome job everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!    The quilts are looking amazing and they have the final two blocks to piece this month!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I decided it was time to get some more knitting done - after I did a LOT of cutting. I had gotten a quilting video from the library and so I popped that into the computer and sat down to watch.   WHOA?????   What is this?????   These ladies were using templates to mark and SCISSORS to cut.


Using big honking shears to cut quilt patches


What year is this video????   2010!!!!     And guess what they used to sew those blocks together????   Yep - that would be a treadle.  The theme of the video was to make a "country" quilt and so they used all the traditional tools, although that iron looked pretty modern!!   It was a woman and her three daughters.  Actually it was neat to watch and kept me entertained while I finished another block.   Have you ever seen me so focused before?????

Oh if you want to know more about those quilting ladies - you can check out this web site.  It would appear to be part of a bigger movement to living a more simple life.

Bottom line - I got another block done!!!   And another almost SIX hours of Quilting Arts - Season One is waiting.





Twenty - two blocks DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number 23 is started and I still have a LOT of those balls left over - hmmm - maybe I'll make thirty blocks??????
My problem will be - where to get that last ball of wool.   Ruti doesn't carry it and if I want to get it from her - she has to order 20.   Well - I bet if I search the internet or the CreativFestival - I will find someone who carries it.  But - I may have enough without buying any more. Got to hurry up and see!!!!!


Oh yes - remember I mentioned the mystery creek by Border Creek Station and Quilts at the Creek?  Well the first installment is now up on the blog.  Check it out................   It is scrappy and although I don't need another project - I might just follow along.  This month - collecting the fabrics.

And I found these pictures on the camera disk.


Little Sammy getting a belly rub

M and Sparky


Yes on occasion M visits me. She is so rarely home these days - almost forgot what she looks like!!!!

Well - it is a gorgeous day and there is no time to waste.   As much as I have tons of stuff to do in the house - it is a day to be outside.

I shouldn't tell you this story but here goes. I am on my way to The Hobby Horse yesterday to teach a class.  There is a HUGE traffic jam right in Georgetown and while I had time to wait - I didn't want to.  I made a left turn and drove through the residential area to bypass whatever was holding up the traffic.  OH MY GOD - it was the police.  Just want I need at this moment in my life (which I won't go into great depth here - but if you read my blog - you know my issue).   They were checking for car seats - but still.  I even took a different way home.   OK - time to get that issue corrected - I have all the paperwork now - so Monday I need to make a little side trip!!!!


Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment