Sunday, September 7, 2014

Use it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a collector.  You all know that - I know that. One of the things I have collected over the years is STRIPED fabric. Also collected numerous ideas of what to do with the striped fabric, but alas just not enough time to do anything with it.

I have learned that the ONLY way for me to get working on something is to schedule a class. And so I am scheduled to teach a class for the Mississauga Quilt Guild next Saturday. So guess what?  I am making my striped quilts!  I did start earlier in the spring, but the crunch is on now!!!

I finished one top last night and so I don't spoil the surprise for the class - here is a corner of the quilt!

One corner of the quilt!  - just wait - all will be revealed after next weekend. 

I had leftovers and they are sitting by the sewing machine so I can do something with them this morning


The other day (OK - so I have been to Ruti's twice since I returned home a week ago) - anyway - I was at Ruti's. I was poking around looking for anything new that had arrived while I was gone.   Hmmmmmm - oh my - LOOK AT THIS fabric - it is gorgeous.  And crap - there is NOT much left on the bolt.  OK - I'll take it all.


Beautiful striped fabric.  I wonder what I could do with that?????


Got home and tossed that fabric on the cutting table with the rest of the striped stuff that needs to be cut up. I finished the top of my first quilt, cut the binding, put the scraps (except those larger pieces I am working on today) away and then off  to look for a backing. Hmmmmm - I have loads of stuff for backings, but nothing peaked my interest. Then I glanced back at the cutting table - do you see where this is going????

I figured out how much I need for the backing - 2 pieces that are 66 inches long - I will join the backing horizontally. Let's just check how much fabric is in that big strip. OH MY GOD - it is exactly the right measurement.  EXACTLY.   What are the chances of that????   OK - so it becomes the backing for this quilt.  I know - a shame to put it on the back - but it will be FUN!!!!!!    And then I don't have to worry about what to do with it!!!!!   Problem solved!   There was another colour way, but not nearly as fun as this one. I may go back and check it out tomorrow - I "might" be persuaded to buy some - only because this is such a cool fabric - but it is the colour, not necessarily the pattern that intrigued me.


What is next on the striped front???


This is what I get to play with today. A gorgeous batik that I bought four years ago.  I know that because the concept of what I am doing with it is from a magazine (that was with it) dated 2010. 


So you see this teaching thing is a good thing for me.  It just means that I am NOT working on the stuff that was on the 2014 shelf - I had to dig this piece out of the closet!   Who cares - one more quilt will be off the list!!!!


While I was sewing the top - I had enders and leaders to work with. The left overs from the Bonnie Hunter mystery.


Lots of little half square triangles sewn!!!!


I worked until late last night - happy as a clam and excited to get up this morning to get back at it.  OK - I guess it takes me a good week to unwind and get back into the groove.  The best news - DH is going away for the week, there are lots of leftovers in the fridge - I am set for an intense week of work!!!!


As I sewing yesterday - I reached the end of my pre-wound bobbins. That means - time to clean the machine and put in a new needle. Hmmmmm - I have this little mini vacuum sitting by the computer that I have never used.  You plug it into a USB port and away you go.  Well I don't have USB on my sewing machine (yep - my machine is practically an antique - at 15 years old - WOW - 15 years - hard to believe). Anyway - I plugged the vacuum into the USB on the computer which is by the sewing machine and I was vacuuming away.  Then I used it on the keyboard of the computer. While it has a tiny motor and doesn't seem to be picking up anything - have a look.............



Mini-vacuum
Look at all the lint it sucked up!!!!    That was mostly from the keyboard as I had already taken most of the lint out of the sewing machine with a Q-tip and a brush. 


I hate air conditioning.  It is already hot enough (well not today) but going in and out of air conditioned buildings just makes the hot air seem that much hotter. I know - crazy lady!  BUT - I do run my dehumidifier all summer.  Since I have gotten home - the thing has run practically non-stop.  They must have just got it running just before I came home.   I have had to empty it at least three times every day - some day I will have it hooked up to the drain in the basement.  When you first start it up - it gives a reading - humidity levels.   It has been VERY high since I got home - in the 70s which my fabric just hates and you get that smell. ICK. Well I noticed this morning when I started it up - it is in the 50s!  Yeah!!!!  Of course - the much cooler air helps a lot.

Dehumidifier running non-stop


Someone asked me yesterday if I got my dining room cleaned up. Oh dear - not even close. I haven't even touched it since those two big days. It looks even worse now than before as I moved a few things - paper stuff back upstairs.


More boxes of paper work to go through.  I must schedule one hour a day or something to try and get it all done. 

And to those of us who don't rush out and immediately purchase stuff - I got a new label maker yesterday and it was FIFTY percent off. So it wasn't very expensive at all.  I found that out from reading some of the flyers that come in the newspaper and all because of my cleaning kick - I read the paper when it came in and the flyers were current!!!  Got two extra tapes so I am set to make labels for a long time!!!!!  

And I have to confess - I was waiting on the label maker so I could get the rest of the files labelled and put in the cabinet.   OK - no more excuses!!!!!


On that note - another exciting day - OK - in my life every day is exciting - except maybe when I have a dentist appointment and even then - I am getting better.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment