Saturday, July 4, 2020

Aviatrix Medallion

We had a wee bit of excitement at our house last night. I had just come back from my walk and was sitting on the deck, enjoying the last of my refreshing beverage. Don't worry - by this time, it was too dark to read, so I didn't walk in the heat. The girls are lying on the deck, enjoying themselves. All of a sudden, there was some rustling in the bushes behind the fence, and they went ballistic. 

This wasn't your typical barking session, and raccoons don't make that much noise. Yikes - so like the femme fatale in all the movies, I went to the fence. It's dark, so I can't really see, but that rustling is loud. I thought it was kids coming up to the fence or walking through the woods right behind the fence. The path behind the fence is at least 100 feet away. I've seen kids in the back sometimes, but never that close to the fence.

Then I looked through the slats of the fence. I always laugh when I do this cause it truly makes me think of a horror movie. You look through those slats and WHAM - something is going to jump out at you.

The view between the slats


The fence is too high to look over except in one spot, which I remembered after the situation was over. The dogs were running along the fence, and if they could have gone over or under or through, they would have. Thank goodness, a new higher fence was installed several years ago.

I kept looking through the slats at various spots, and it turns out the coyotes were right there! I briefly saw one, but there was definitely more than one. I think they were trying to get in at the dogs, or they were chasing something. However, if they were chasing something, they wouldn't have lingered at the fence. I could have reached my hand through the slats and touched them. No pictures, but I did try. They hung out for a couple of minutes, and after much crashing through the bushes, they were gone.

I wonder what their thought process was? There are enough rabbits, squirrels, and raccoons in the forest to keep them busy. Did they think our dogs would be suitable prey? Sometimes Lexi likes to sleep outside. She did not and even asked to come in, which was very unusual for her.

The mosquitos came out shortly after that, and I retired to the house.



Time is a wee bit of a challenge at the moment, but I did manage to get one of the homework assignments out. I'll share those blocks with you another day. The other one is cut out, and I'll get it done today. The blocks won't take that long to make, so if it's late by one day, I don't think anyone is going to care. Don't worry, it's already on my list to start cutting for the next session. I have a couple of weeks of breathing room. But I'm pretty much up to date with all five of those projects and for me? That's a huge deal.


I also got two small quilts quilted yesterday.


Customer quilt - DONE

Customer quilt - DONE



I've got a HUGE quilted loaded for later today. I'm off on a fabric finding mission this morning. I need some cream fabric before I can continue with one of the ongoing projects, and I wasn't able to find something to match when I was at Thimbles and Things last week. That's the second store that I zeroed out on that fabric quest. I just want a cream fabric - nothing fancy! A light cream, but it seems to be elusive. I'll never find the same fabric as it's a Nancy Crow from 20 years ago. I'm OK with that - but I want something somewhat similar in color. Everything I've seen to date is too dark.

I had to reschedule some of our Zoom presentations from last weekend to this week. We had the last one last night. What fun to get together with the group via Zoom. I know it's not the same as meeting in person, but we get to see everyone's furry friends. Cats seem to love being on Zoom. I don't know what it is - they are like kids when you're trying to have a phone conversation.


This is the original pattern for Aviatrix Medallion.


Aviatrix Medallion pattern

This first one belongs to Gisele. I really like how that skinny yellow border sets off the rows. And I LOVE the consistency of the X block in the outer border. The bright colors in the original are beautiful, but the values are all over the place, and well - I like this version much better. I know the scale of the two quilts is not the same, but the skinny border is much more pronounced in our versions, and I really think that's a good thing.


Gisele's quilt

Cathy used a different tactic with that last border. Her coloring makes it look like a trellis is happening around the outer edge. And the pluses in the middle of the blocks are showing up as well—another great success for fabric selection. While we're all following the pattern, that doesn't mean that we're following the coloring.

Cathy's quilt
I must say that I like it when we step outside the box. Yes, there are times when you won't be 100% happy with the results, but that's a great learning experience. So far, I think these quilts are right on!

This is Deb's quilt. She is a BRAND NEW Quilter. It's interesting to see her coloring after looking at the previous two quilts. She used the neutrals in the border outside the center star. OH, and remember, we changed the center star! That border sort of recedes because it's made with neutrals that are very close to the background fabric color. Neither is right or wrong - just gives a totally different effect.

Deb's quilt

Then we have Rita. What can I say - Rita is a rebel, and we love her for it. She's just going for anything that works in her quilt. She's also incorporated a lot of background (white) in her blocks, so it definitely has a very modern feel to it. This is an excellent example of how you can take a traditional (yes - I'm calling the original pattern traditional  -  OK - we can call it contemporary, but it's NOT a modern quilt) and make it totally modern. Don't you just love that star in the center? Way to go, Rita!!!


Rita's quilt
 I love my new filing system for photos. I can find all these class photos in a snap. Too bad, I didn't have a great filing system before. Doesn't matter - one day I'll get it fixed up or really - who cares???

This is Dana's quilt from last month. She is mostly following the pattern and even did the very intricate center star. She didn't get a lot of time to work on her quilt this month, but she's still ahead of some of the others! She did get the borders fixed up and is ready to get back to work this month.


Dana's quilt


This is Corrie's from last month as well. She's following the coloring (somewhat) in the pattern. Again - look how different her quilt is with that first border surrounding the center star made from the neutral fabrics.


Corrie's quilt
I can't wait to see both of these quilts with the next row on.


There are a couple more working on the quilt, but I don't have pictures yet. One of the ladies hasn't started - wait - she did start cutting the other day so we should see something next month. There's no penalty for not getting it done, and I told them that they could technically stop at any point and call the quilt done! Perhaps I shouldn't have said that!!!!


And here's my version. I don't think I've ever done an orange and cream quilt before. But I love it. This is what I need the cream fabric for. I need some cream to add a small border to the outside of that pieced border. Let's keep my fingers crossed that I find something this morning.

My version of Aviatrix Medallion


And there you have it - another successful class. If anyone is interested in doing one of these online classes, I'll be doing more starting in January. I found a bunch of interesting patterns and have them sitting in a file folder. I'll be posting them later - I want to post them NOW. But if you have a pattern or an idea for one of these ongoing classes, let me know. I'd be happy to add it to the mix. The hardest part? Picking one! Or two or three or FIVE!!! Like happened this year.

I think the students LOVE the virtual format because they get a written document each month loaded with tips and pictures to help them along. And the cost is cheap! $25 for the year (not including the pattern or fabric).

Anyway - it's time to go. I wrote out a list of things that NEED to be done today. The list is long, but thankfully some of them are e-mails that won't take a lot of time. My little shopping trip will take a couple of hours, and that's eating into the day, but I NEED that fabric.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment