Saturday, July 18, 2020

A bust of a shopping trip


So I'm a wee bit behind, and I certainly did NOT need to be out shopping, but there were a couple of things that I needed (wanted) and well - I just wanted to get out.

The first stop was Chapters. There was a specific magazine that I wanted to get. I had seen it was available, but I guess it's only available on the web site so far. The physical magazine hasn't come down the pipeline yet.

What was the magazine? It's the latest issue of Quiltmaker. 

Quiltmaker 

My quilt

I have a quilt in this magazine. Here's a picture that I found on the internet. There's quite a story behind this quilt. I won't share it with you until I see the magazine. Unfortunately, I don't think the story got published with the magazine as things - well, in the magazine world - things change.





















I found another magazine, and I was on my way. The store was pretty subdued - masks of course and hand sanitizer. It must be boring for the greeter to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Then I was off to Mark's to buy some running shoes. Good grief - they don't have them. They have pretty much everything else I saw online. I found a nice pair of low top dress boots that I would like to get. I don't need them until we actually start getting back out on the road. I tried on the rubber boots that I need. I asked at the desk, and they looked up the running shoes. Available ONLY online. Drat - that means I'm going to have to buy online OR - I could go back to my original plan and go to National Sports, which is close enough to walk to. But I do need rubber boots - I could order those online.

Masks and hand sanitizer and lots of signs on the floor to keep your distance. It's a bit of a challenge to try on a pair of boots when you can't sit down. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to try anything on? Everything is the same, yet so different. 

So that stop was a bust as well.

Let's stop off at Fabricland. Keep in mind, all these shops are in a loop and not very far from my house. But far enough that I didn't want to walk. I could have ridden my bike, but I drove.

I was searching for a buckle for the straps of my backpack, so I could finish that project. NO buckles. Seriously???  Nope. I had to wait in line outside the store, and someone directed us where to go in the store. Again lots of markings on the floor! I did buy some thread - just because I need to slowly restock my drawer of color threads. I also wanted some orange zippers.


My haul at Fabricland

Yes - I know those zippers are NOT really orange. I'd say they are more coral. They are definitely NOT bright. The zipper section was in a rather sad state of affairs, so I bought these ones - just because.

I knew they were not the right color, and yet I bought them. Thankfully zippers are cheap, but I did NOT need three more zippers.


Zippers are a wee bit off in color

OK -- so the rest of the trip has pretty much been a bust. Let's stop at Harvey's for lunch. That was kind of my ultimate goal. Every once in a while, I treat myself, and my favorite burger is from Harvey's. With onion rings and I was going to throw caution to the wind and get a root beer as well.

I pull up to the parking lot, which was very empty. Hmm, the garbage can is blocking the drive-thru. Then I see a guy get out of his truck and approach the door, which is LOCKED. I don't know the reason, all I know is that I didn't get my burger. I stopped at Wendy's for a salad instead. Not the same thing at all.

So that shopping trip was pretty much a complete bust. It means that I should be buying digital magazines online and the rest of my stuff as well. Oh well. So much for trying to support the local places. I'll still buy as local (Canadian) as I can get, but it's not the same shopping online as in person. I like to shop in person.

However, there was some good news when I arrived home. The package that I've been waiting for for the last couple of weeks arrived. This is good and bad news. It means that I have to get the item made for the magazine and I have to do it this weekend. I'll be working on it during the Virtual Retreat. No choice.

The fabric arrived at LAST


Thank goodness I'm flexible. That means I'll be finishing my two quilts for Quilts of Valour (I didn't quite get the one finished yesterday that I hoped to get done). And I'll be working on this magazine project. The other two quilts of mine? They'll have to wait until next week and get worked in with the blog posts. All in a day's work!!!

I also got my two Vintage Christmas blocks done - I'll share tomorrow after I share them with the group.

Someone who used to come to the sit n sews at my house, was working on these little quilts from Happy Hallow. It's a series of 9 little quilts for the Wizard of Oz. The series is called Tornado Alley. You can see them if you scroll to the bottom of the link above. She didn't want them and had only worked on one, and so I acquired them from her. A win-win for both of us! I can't wait to get started on them. They are tiny, so each shouldn't take too long. I might tuck one into my retreat basket.





Don't forget that TODAY is the first day of the Virtual Retreat. I'll turn on the Zoom meeting at 9 AM, and it runs until 8 PM tonight. Stop by to say HI or stay and sew for a while. Make sure you click on the right link.


Here is the link for SATURDAY, July 18. Starts at 9 AM EST.

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84059623529?pwd=aVF6SnN4N1IzeHBxRGJsWWJmOFZjQT09 Meeting ID: 840 5962 3529 Password: 905818




And here is the link for SUNDAY, July 19. Starts at 9 AM EST. 

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82603125773?pwd=a1FiYTI4VlhoRUJuL2lxait2Q0ZTZz09 Meeting ID: 826 0312 5773 Password: 774537


Ono that note, I'm out of here!!!!


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment