Monday, August 9, 2021

All in a Row

 I have to say that it feels AWESOME to get back to the gym! There are not many people there at 5 AM, but that's OK!! And yes, what I do at the gym could easily do at home - walking and stretching. But I hope to add some weights in there soon. That's not the point - the point is that I've been going to the gym for 40 years! And I like it - it's part of my routine. And you know me - I like routine!

I have to admit that I was a slug yesterday, and I'm quite happy about that, although I still walked 10.5 KM. I had a quilt class in the morning, and I promised to send them their homework notes by tonight. Well, I'm happy to report that I sent the homework last night! Yes -- for once, I was right on time. I don't think that has ever happened, but the patterns we chatted about were so mixed up in the cutting instructions that I felt they needed them right away so they could get to work. 

Sometimes, I think we need better editors for quilt books. Not only are some of the ideas totally unrealistic, but then the instructions are totally off track. And can you tell me why, with whimsical designs that they would suggest turned-edge applique?? I don't get it. I could be an editor! But that's OK - it actually makes it easier for me as a teacher when the patterns are not the best!


We didn't have a lot of show and tell. This is a weird class as there are many rows in the book, and you only need 5 or 6 to make a quilt. So some of the rows that I mention might never get made. That's OK. They will know HOW to make it if they ever want it. And I'm all about mixing and matching -- make one block instead of a row, or mix the rows up!

Here is the book that we're using. 


All in a Row Again book

This is the second book in this series. There is an All in a Row book. 


All in a Row book


Oh, shoot - I didn't rotate this row, but this is Kathi's row of mountains. The pattern is NOT from our book. But that's OK - it's part of her quilt or will be part of her quilt.


Kathi's mountain row





Here are the new blocks that we worked on yesterday. It's all about the house and the barns and the outhouse! OK -- so the outhouse was a beach cabana in the book! I still need to put a crescent moon on the door. 

New blocks for All in a Row


There is one row with barns, including the three barns above, one row with beach houses, which I will make into an outhouse, and one row with the duplexes. I'm going to make ONE quilt from these random blocks. I've got a few more blocks to make, which will happen next month. I need to figure out how to place them. I want the quilt to be DONE by November, which will be our big reveal. I was NOT going to do a third quilt and then POOF - the idea for the third quilt was formulated!!

Here are my other two quilts, which have a definite plan. This one is a medallion quilt, and I plan to add other blocks into the center and the corners. I hope it will look totally different for next month. 


My medallion quilt


And here's my row quilt. I still have ONE row to make for this and some applique stitching. And lastly, the outer border needs to be pieced. 

The row quilt


There's still lots of work to be done! So much to do to get up-to-date, not only on this one but a couple of the other ongoing quilts as well. But bit by bit - they will get done!! 


Here's a tip for the chocolate lovers out there. I have no issue eating sugar or fat, but I'm all about moderation. I love dessert, and I love chocolate, but I do not eat candy any longer. Oh, trust me -- I think about it sometimes, but then I just say NO. I got a little lazy with the chocolate, and I would buy my favorite chocolate - Ritter-Sport. Well, there were days where instead of having four squares, I'd eat the entire thing (16 squares). Oh boy -- that's not good. 

So I'm back to eating this kind of chocolate. I know 90%, and you can even get 95%. Bitter, you say? It's an acquired taste, but I have no problem eating it and actually enjoy it. But more importantly, I only eat two squares, and I'm good. 


 

High content chocolate!


After my Facebook account was hacked last week, I reset the password and did the verification process. But then I had to log back to Facebook on my phone, which I haven't done. And you know what? I don't think I'm going to. I can check Facebook first thing in the morning on the computer to see anything earth-shattering, and then that's it for the day. I like social media but do not want to be a slave to it. 

I now check Instagram for a few minutes a couple of times during the day; I check the weather station to see if any cool videos were posted and that's it for social media for me! Pretty sad - right? Nope -- I'm excited to know that I can keep that urge in check. I love technology, but I love it when it WORKS for me, not when it wastes my time!


Well, I'm off to get ready for Monday sewing. What will I work on? And I have another class tomorrow, so I'd better think about prepping for that one. And there are still presentations to get in order. So much to do and so little time, but I did have a wee nap in the gazebo yesterday and then spent some quality tie reading! It was the weekend, after all. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment