Oh gosh -- I'm going to blab on about Farmer's Wife one more time today, even though I did NOTHING on it yesterday.
Remember that duplicate block? The one that didn't have the values in the correct place? As I was searching for the final reveal in my blog, I stumbled across this post.
Here's the link to the blog post about the coloring on that block that was wrong. But did I make a note of that? Nope. So let that be a lesson to myself -- if you make a duplicate block -- identify it as such. But I was on a roll in 2018. I had not finished all the blocks myself when I taught the class in 2012, and I got the remainder of them done in 2018. I had plans to sew it together and finish it in 2019, but we all know that didn't happen.
It turns out there were nine people in that class. I never did put up the pictures from the final show and tell, but here's a link to one show and tell.
I'm pretty sure that Diane finished her quilt top and probably got it quilted. Rose is working on hers as part of our UFO Club. She got 50 blocks done, and that's it for her. Now, what happened to the other 7 in that class?
And thanks to Gillian, who sent me this link from someone who has a lesson plan for the Farmer's Wife quilt. If you think you would like to make this quilt, read that link as it has some excellent information. Of course, if you've taken a class from me, you know most of what's on that blog page. However, this person provides rotary cutting instructions (for a price) rather than the templates we used.
Alternatively, you could redraw each block in EQ8 (great lesson) and get your own rotary cutting instructions. And do what Rose did -- only make a certain number of blocks and choose the easier ones!
Lots of options if you want to make Farmer's Wife quilt.
And hopefully, that's it for the Farmer's Wife quilt until mine is put to bed! Since it is Monday sewing today, I might just get it finished? We'll see.
There is some good news at my house. Look what came off the long arm yesterday.
|My quilt -- DONE|
The Halloween quilt is DONE. Well, the top is quilted, and I still need to get that binding on, as well as a label and a sleeve. That's pretty exciting. It took a long time, as does all custom quilting, which is why I won't do it for someone else. It's also intense.
I quilted a line through the spiderweb in the sashing to give it some extra support.
|The sashing was quilted!|
The next time I made one of these quilts that has the quilting as part of the machine embroidery, I won't do that quilting part. I will eliminate the thicker stabilizer in the quilt and just use a tear-a-way for the machine embroidery applique. Then when I go to quilt it, I'll do the background quilting with batting as I would for any other quilt. Hmm -- now I want to try that!
That will help solve any problems with how to quilt it and keep all those thick layers out of the quilt. I'm not really a fan of these machine embroidery applique quilts that are quilted as you go - it's just not a good idea. While I can get away with it on this wall hanging, bed quilts done like this are too stiff!
I wanted to use the BORDER feature on my long arm software, so I read the manual and figured out how to program that. I did have a problem, but after going back to the manual and doing the directions IN ORDER, that helped a lot. And it was super easy to design the border and flip the motifs as needed.
|Designing the border motif on the computer|
I'll definitely use that feature again. It meant that I had to turn the quilt on the long arm, which I'm not really a fan of. Apparently, you can do it all while in the original orientation, but I've heard horror stories of the math involved for that. Now, this is a computer -- why the heck wouldn't the program take care of all those details for us??? I see some room for improvement there!!!
If you live close to me, please tell me you took advantage of the glorious weather yesterday and got outside, even for a bit of a walk. It was a fantastic day, and the water was running everywhere.
I got out my trusty shovel and managed to make a good part of the ice blocks in front of the driveway disappear. I shamelessly shoveled that snow and ice into the street. Hey -- it's not sitting in my driveway, so don't yell at me. I'm just redistributing what's in the road to another place in the street. There's still a little bit on the sides of the driveway, but so much melted yesterday.
|A prominent pedestrian and bike crossing|
|Teddy bear ready to snuggle up with|
|And one for this bed as well|
|Murphy and some of her toys|
|Lexi empties the basket of clothes onto the floor|