Wednesday, September 28, 2022

How to keep a quilter happy on vacation!

 Gosh --- I'm getting positively dull, and I'm getting bored! 

I finished two more quilts for Quilts of Valour, which makes numbers 6 and 7; only four more to go to finish this group of eleven. 


Quilts of Valour #6


Quilts of Valour #7


I think I need to take a break after these eleven quilts are done. I have until November 11 to complete the second group of eleven, but I'm starting to feel pressure to work on other things. I have classes starting in October, and I have things to prep for. So even though I wouldn't be home until Sunday, I should finish the quilts by Thursday, and then it's time to get to work. 

Not that sewing is work -- but I need to switch gears a bit, and hopefully, I can start binding those smaller quilts as well. 


These larger quilts are a bit more work -- not really to load them, but most of them do not have backings, so I have to find something in the stash that works. I found a lot more black flannel and larger pieces of flannel that should work for backing. I washed most of it last night and have already made one backing for the quilt now loaded on the long arm. 


Washed flannel for backings

I think I have enough backing washed for the remaining three quilts and hope to get them prepped later today or by tomorrow. Making those backings will rip through copious amounts of fabric, and I'm jumping up and down about that! There's still a lot of flannel in that storage room, so I will need to sort it out, but I just want enough for these next three quilts. Then I can sort it out another day! 

I'm pretty happy with my progress and that it offered me a great way to get comfortable with the new software. I'm still in panto mode, but I don't care -- these quilts are perfect for using pantos for quilting them. 


As you know, I'm teaching some ongoing classes that start in October and run until June next year. I made a video for the pre-cut class yesterday. Oh, what fun I had as I pulled EVERY pre-cut I own (well, almost every pre-cut), and this was the result. 


The set for the pre-cut video


OK --- I know I am NOT the only one with this kind of mess on their hands! Let's face it --- we all have pre-cuts. But I already have plans for at least three of the pre-cuts! I can't wait to get started sewing on those. 

Well, check out the video I made and then CALL The Hobby Horse and get yourself signed up for this class. We will get over the FEAR of opening those packages up and using them. I've got loads of ideas mulling in my head, and I can't wait to share them! Oh shoot --- the video is too large for this forum. Well, check out the Facebook page for The Hobby Horse, and you'll see it there. You may have to scroll down. 


Look at the Princess!! She was lying quietly, and I had to cover her up, which she hates. Look at her eyes!! So I took it off right after I took the picture. I swear she was dancing in DH's office the other night because she wanted him to get on the sofa with her! Talk about spoiled!!!!


MOM -- get this thing off me!


There's a new blog post for QUILTsocial this morning, so be sure to check that out. I learn so much from all the writing and research I do. It doesn't matter which sewing machine or software level; there's always something new to learn! 

Oh my --- when I went to get the link for QUILTsocial, one of my previous posts came up. In the summer of 2015, I did a lot of traveling around Canada and came up with 50 ways to keep a quilter happy while on vacation. It's a hoot, but I had a lot of fun!!! If you scroll to the bottom of that post, you'll get to see the other posts! Check this out! 

I kept those New Balance shoes I purchased and wore them for my walk in the afternoon. Yep -- they are comfy, but all those hours at the long arm are very tiring on the legs! Maybe that's why I'll be glad to give it a rest. How do people stand on their feet all day? 

There's a quilt show this weekend in Brantford, Ontario, so check it out! I promise I will start doing something more interesting than just quilting another quilt -- give me a day or so! 

On that note, I'm out of here! Places to go today, people to see, more batting to pick up!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!















2 comments:

  1. Sorry to disappoint. No precuts here. They have never appealed to me. I won a few and painstakingly used them with a friend's direction. Not for me!

    You've made tremendous progress on your quilting Camino :-) (I've been traveling and just catching up with you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG --- pre-cuts. They are the BANE of the quilting world. Everyone (but you) has them and I HATE using them myself, although I did a good job amassing them. They are so hard to use and well -- I will NEVER buy another one. I hope this pre-cut class will motivate me to get rid of some of them!!

      Delete