Saturday, December 17, 2022

Farmer's Wife - ten years in the making!

 I'm not sure why some days I feel more in a panic than I am right now. Oh yes -- I know. There are no classes today, and everything is under control for the ones tomorrow. It's all about planning ahead! 

There's so much I want to do, and there just doesn't seem to be time, even though I spend a good solid eight hours or more these days in Studio B. The long arm eats up a big chunk of the time these days, but I'm happy to report that the last customer quilt for this year is on the frame, and that's the final quilt on the list for this year. I have two or three of my own that I want to play with, and then I need to load some scrap fabric and go to town!! There's software to learn, and I've got some downtime. 

Not having to babysit the long arm will free up a lot of time, so I might get the rest of those bindings on and start planning/prepping for classes for 2023. And let's not forget the samples for machine embroidery! 

The quilt I worked on yesterday was my own, and it was huge -- 86" by 106". I vowed I would never make another big quilt, but this one was a sew-long at The Hobby Horse that we did in 2012. It's called Farmer's Wife, and I decided to put all 111 blocks in one quilt. The good news is this quilt should be done by tomorrow! 

That's a big quilt


I still had three rows to go, and I looked at the top thread. OH!! I'm getting low, and I wasn't sure if I had another spool. The color of the thread was PERFECT. Well, I'm that careful with everyone's quilt, as I try to blend the thread in as it's not my pantograph quilting that's important -- it's the customers' quilt. 


Running low on thread


And I got lucky. I could start to see the cone by the time I was done, but I had enough. This will be a candidate for my practice quilting next week and one of my favorite colors! 

I won!!


This is always the most exciting part -- well, one of the exciting parts when doing a large quilt is seeing the bottom border pop up. 

The bottom border


I didn't think the bobbin was going to last until the end, as it usually runs out mere inches from the end, but I got lucky with that and didn't even check how much thread was left on the bobbin. 

Here is the quilt -- done! OK -- so it's technically not done. It's trimmed, but I still have to put the binding on it, and that's a job for later today. 


My quilt - DONE


And several more quilts got the binding on. One for community projects. 


Community project quilt - DONE


One for me. 


Chunk of the month - DONE


One for community projects. 

Community project quilt  - DONE


I've been thinking about my UFO lists and what to do with them. I started those lists in 2017, and all the 2017 and 2018 lists are done! There are three more projects on the 2019 list, and I've been working on one of them. Some are done on the 2020 list, but I haven't touched 2021 or 2022. I created a new one for 2023 this morning. The earlier lists had massive projects with lots of applique or crazy techniques. I'm being more reasonable in the last couple of years, and hopefully, I can clear those last three on the 2019 list and then start ripping through the smaller ones. 

It took me almost a year to work on that orange quilt, and there was no need. It was easy piecing, so I need to step up my game! Let's just say that the UFO Club will run for MANY years! 

Some may think I'm a humbug about Christmas, but I'm not. I'm a fan of getting together with family and friends, but I dislike that people feel obligated to do it at Christmas and forget the rest of the year. I'd rather get together whenever it works, not just because of a date on the calendar. As for gifts? It's insane. Everyone talks about regifting -- so why do we exchange presents? 

I don't need anything! Not even a gift certificate to my local quilt shop. I can't even deal with what I currently have, let alone compound that by getting more stuff. Thankfully we all agreed years ago to not exchange gifts among the family. Chocolates? Don't need them! Fabric -- NO! Cookies and sweets? I don't think so! 

So I'm not being a Scrooge -- I'm just realistic and like to march to my drum. 

I had a peek at my neighbor's new kitchen yesterday. OK -- so she invited me in -- I wasn't peeking in the window. Oh my --- did you know that you can buy a fridge with a black interior? It's quite lovely, and they have changed the house around to make the kitchen the center of the home. 

Meanwhile, our homewrecker of a dog is up to her old tricks. She just has to move her bed into the middle of the floor. And now I've figured out why she is gaining weight. She got fed THREE times yesterday, not two. DH fed her as he flew out the door, and then she came to me looking for more. So -- DH and I need to have a better communication system than just yelling when I'm quilting and have my headphones on! Good grief -- he knows I can't hear him! 


MOM -- I'm moving my bed again! 

Here's a great gift if you know someone who loves candles. Don't get them another candle. Good lord -- do you know how long it takes to burn one down? I'm still working on the candles I received years ago. But a candle trimming kit is convenient. I got this from Ronda several years ago, and I keep it handy; it's great to clean up messy wicks and keep them trimmed. If you don't have one and like candles, you need one. 

Candle trimming tools



And yes -- I burn candles in my studio. Not every day, but from time to time. I light it and put it in the middle of the floor where I won't forget it, and it won't come into contact with anything! 


Here's another giveaway item. Wait until you see the HUGE pile of stuff in the living room that needs to be moved out of my house soon! 

OK -- today it's a pair of running shoes. These are brand new -- never out of the box. They are Sketchers delights, size 9. They used to be my go-to shoe, but I can no longer wear this style as my feet are too wide. Sigh -- I liked them. 


Size 9 Sketchers running shoes




If they work for anyone, let me know by sending me an email at elainetheriault@gmail.com. 

I need to get to the New Balance store to pick up another pair of the ones I have. I like them, and I've realized there is plenty of room in the toe box for my little toe. It's the way the toe sits that it curls under the toe next to it and gets crushed! But not nearly as bad as in the Sketchers, which are narrower. I have those little plastic toe covers, which I'm going to try and see what happens. It doesn't hurt, so I'm not worried about it. 

And there is something to be said about dealing with local businesses. DH had to get his snow tires on the car yesterday and took it to the garage on one of Lexi's walking routes. I offered to drop off the vehicle, so Lexi and I drove to the garage and dropped the car off. She got to come into the shop when we dropped off the keys, and then we finished the walk. 

On my afternoon walk, I stopped in and picked up the car. I LOVE local. If I can walk rather than ride or walk to do my errands, then I'll do so! I wish DH was up to walking to the restaurant within walking distance of the house. But NO - he insists on driving. Sigh..............

Well, that's another fun and exciting day at my house. So much to do today, and remember--- it's Virtual Retreat tonight and tomorrow. I can't wait to catch up with everyone!!! Remember to stop by and say hi! We could have a Christmas toast at 8 PM. 

Here are the links. 

Saturday, December 17  --- Starts at 6 PM EST

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797


Sunday, December 18 - Starts at 1 PM EST

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81693717518?pwd=STNoVVQzbDd4ZnROQndNNlpvcC90QT09 Meeting ID: 816 9371 7518 Passcode: 579285



Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment