Monday, December 18, 2023

Virtual challenges and walking goals

Why is there always so much to do before leaving? At least this time, things are a bit calmer - I just have to pack myself and a few clothes, and then I'm out the door - no samples to pack or sewing to finish. But still, there are e-mails to send, and it always seems like there is a ton of stuff. But what doesn't get done will get done when I get back. I'll be back before the Virtual Retreat, which is next Saturday and Sunday. YES -- I get it's a busy time of year, but some of us might want a quiet moment to ourselves! Well, to spend with quilting friends. 

I need to figure out how to access my distribution lists when I'm away -- that would allow me to send group things even when I'm not here. But all the follow-up is done -- well, there are still a few things to tidy up, but the recipients know they have to wait a week, and it's no big deal. 

Then, when I'm back, I need to finalize the distribution lists and class dates for 2024. But the best news? I only have SIX lists and sets of dates to do, so how hard can that be? And most lists won't change - just adding or subtracting a few names here and there. 

We talk about accomplishing goals, and we should all have some kind of goal we want to achieve. It could be sewing, walking, or cleaning the house -- you pick the goal. The best thing about a goal is that it's personal. What I choose to do with my time and other resources is up to me. I want to avoid copying what someone else is doing. Goals give us a reason to get up in the morning or to do something specific. Without goals, I'd be a couch potato!! 

I don't call these resolutions -- they don't work. But I ask myself what I want to achieve. The other important thing is learning to break that goal down into baby steps. You could have a goal of tidying up your house in 2024, but realistically - could you? I suppose you could, especially if you have a deadline. But make sure to break that down in chunks. I think I might do that --- let's have fun with this and see if we can go through our house top to bottom! HA -- that's going to be impossible, but let's at least start the year off right -- and we're going to focus on the kitchen. So prepare yourself! 

Sorry -- I'm writing this earlier than usual, and my brain is having random thoughts! 

Here is one of my goals for 2023, and I finished it yesterday! 


My virtual challenge goal of 4400 KM


That represents walking a total of 4,400 KM. That is the equivalent of walking more than halfway across Canada. It's about the distance from my house to Tampa, Florida, and back again! Yep, that's a lot of kilometers. I don't know why they call these "virtual" challenges because I have to walk the KM -- I can't cheat! By breaking this down to the equivalent of walking 12 KM per day, I knew I could achieve that. Some days, I was over, and some days, I was down. But the average is 12.5 KM daily, which is amazing!

It was a huge motivator to get out and walk, especially when I wasn't feeling well or didn't want to walk. I walked in the rain, the cold, the snow, and the heat, but all that is character-building and makes me a stronger person! I also use those walks to solve problems and sort things in my head! I still have TWO weeks left in the year  - that's a first for me. What will the distance be next year? 

It all starts with ONE STEP. No one needs to walk those crazy distances, but everyone should (if they can) be walking some distance. It's free (except for the price of a good pair of shoes), it's easy - you can do it anywhere, and it's way cheaper and better than therapy! I will continue to walk until I can't, and I suppose at some point, I'll have to reduce the daily distance - just because. But while I can walk - I will! 

I swear -- someone in the weather office or wherever this notification came from needs to rethink what they post. It's some little news feed on my computer. Yesterday, the temperature here was 7 and rainy. Look what it says! 


Bad weather coming


Stating "temps to plummet" puts a totally negative spin on going outside. Plummet signals that we're going to see a significant drop in temperature. Yet today, the temperature is 6, and it's not even 6 AM. The lowest it's going to PLUMMET to in the next couple of days is -6 in the middle of the night. 

Seriously? These weather people need to stop dramatizing the weather. It is what it is - we should embrace the weather and thank our lucky stars that we can get outside. Our society today is HIGHLY influenced by other people, and if someone says "it's freezing" out, you will believe it whether you go out or not!!!

When I first leave the house for my 1 1/2 hour walk in the morning, I find the air is nippy. This is expected as the temperature inside and outside are NOT the same. But once you start walking, guess what? Your body adjusts, and I usually have my mitts off and jacket open before long. Give your body time to adjust!!! Nope -- we just complain and hurry to our car! 

I just wish we would all STOP being influenced by what we hear on our apps, the TV, and the radio BEFORE we experience it ourselves! Sigh. 

I had walked to Diane's a couple of days ago and picked up four more quilts. There are still more to pick up, but I ran out of time. Well, I did not -- I just didn't schedule my walk to pass by her house. I'll get the rest when I'm back. 


Community project quilts

I took a break and worked on two more Advent Calender jigsaw puzzles. I think I have somewhat regulated my eating habits, which is good. Snacking is the worst, and afternoon snacking can be deadly. I only allow myself to snack once I return from my walk. So if I want a snack, I better lace up those shoes. I'm sure you wouldn't find my snack super exciting - cucumbers and hummus and half a glass of chocolate milk (sugar - I know!), but this has become a routine now (more or less - I do vary the snack from time to time), but what's important is that I've gotten a handle on that afternoon snacking. 


Two advent jigsaw puzzles


I worked on another customer quilt yesterday and I have a plan to get the remainder of the pile done when I return. I was fortunate on this one. I set the size of the pattern, and it allowed me to do two passes with each advancement of the quilt, and they JUST fit into my area. Notice there is little space at the top and bottom. 

The pattern JUST fits in the work area


And here's the quilt. I'll have some trimming to do when I return. Once I finish these last few quilts, there is NOTHING in my queue for January, so I'm filling the January queue with Quilts of Valour! Of course, if you have a quilt you want to be quilted, I'll fit that in my queue. Just let me know so I can schedule accordingly. 


Customer quilt - DONE

I made a valiant attempt to clear off the cutting table and made good progress. I'll get back to that when I return, and then I need to get to work. Several small projects need to be finished, which will help clear up more space. I've got to think up a good scheduling system of what to work on first. A priority system of sorts. I'm not good with setting priorities, so I'll check the calendar when I'm back and see what needs to be done (nothing will be urgent). The next class is January 6th, but that will creep up fast, and there are blog posts to write! 

Perhaps while I'm on the plane this morning, I can try to figure out a priority list and figure out what I'll make and go from there. That might be a good plan. 


Well, it's time to get moving! I have to squeeze in a walk with the girls, then finish packing and shower. 


Have a great day!!!


Ciao!!!

3 comments:

  1. For anyone just joining Elaine in the declutter journey, first decide what will feel most fabulous to you. 1. Do you need a quick win? Choose the least cluttered room for #1. 2. Do you need the space you occupy the MOST to feel lovely? Do it first. Then tackle 1 space per month if you need to spread it over a year. I'm crazy and tornadoed my entire 1650square foot home in a single month the first time I did this more than 25y ago. I did that again in March/April this year.

    Safe travels Elaine. Happy end of year to all and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one crazy lady to have blitzed your house in one month! I would have gone mad!!! But now we know how you are able to do what you do --- the more you deal with things - the easier it becomes. I'm a turtle compared to you! But I'll get to the finish line!

      Delete
    2. Oh I am crazy indeed! ;-) My suggestions for process are to help anyone who has no idea how/where to start. I think we can be frozen by what is ahead. I hope everyone who has concerns will join you on this journey.

      Delete