Saturday, December 9, 2023

With a little help from my friends

What happened here? I got up a bit earlier than usual and got the presentations done, and then I felt tired, so I figured a wee nap was in order, and WHAM! I'm really late, so the blog will be short!

Last night, we had a fantastic show and tell for our Jen Kingwell remedial. I have taught several Jen Kingwell quilts over the last 5 years. Some of the tops had been completed, and some had not. So I, along with others, toiled away. 

You know what was the best thing I heard last night? "THANK YOU for making this class happen - because without it, my project would still be in pieces." And I said THANK YOU right back at them because my quilts would still be in pieces without the group. 

What a WONDERFUL collaborative effort we all did! I'm really proud of that group and all the efforts they made. A few are still making blocks, but overall, the remedial class was a HUGE success. 

I finished my Boho Heart quilt top. YES -- it's quilted and bound. 


My BOHO Heart Quilt


I finished the Long Time Gone. And it's also quilted and bound. 

My Long Time Gone Quilt

And there's Wanderer's Wife (used to be called Gypsy Wife). I don't have a flat shot of it -- I'll find one and add it later today. It is also quilted and bound. 


Wanderer's Wife Quilt

Getting those three quilt tops quilted and bound was HUGE. And I have the group to thank for pushing each other every month to make that happen. 


Then, there was the fourth quilt - Green Tea and Sweet Beans. I aimed to get it quilted and bound, but that didn't happen. I thought I might struggle with it because of the applique, and I was right. Don't get me wrong - I like applique and am good at it. I'm just slow. But I made giant leaps and bounds, and this is what it looks like right now. 


Green Tea and Sweet Beans


I am thrilled with the quilt. Well, I'm thrilled with ALL of them. The colors in this one are bright and cheery. The applique in the center is done! 

The pattern calls for an applique border, and do I want it or not? I put what I've done with the borders on the wall, and I WANT them. So I have a plan. 

The borders


I'm not a fan of how "interesting" the vines are positioned, so I plan to remove them. Don't tell me NO - my mind is made up. I will attach the border fabric (GASP - for applique? YES). Then, I'll glue the vine back and stitch with a zigzag stitch. That's easy to do on this quilt as I won't have to turn it except for the corners. The new placement will take some time, but I have a wide open table at the moment, so it is the perfect spot to do that on Monday sewing. 

Then, to apply the flowers and leaves, I want to experiment with something, and this quilt will be perfect for it. You'll have to wait for that one. I hope to have it done by the end of January. 

The other day, in a meeting for class, the topic of Jen Kingwell came up! Hmm -- do I venture to teach another one? My arm could be twisted as I like them, as much I "complained" about how much work it all was. 

There are two potential quilts -- one is this one - Green Tea and Sweet Beans. There are LOADS of techniques in this quilt, and if you want to learn new stuff or try your hand at some techniques that might be rusty - this is a good one!!

The other quilt I was thinking of is My Small World. 

My Small World


So here's the thing -- if you are interested in my teaching a Jen Kingwell  - let me know which one, and I'll see what happens. It will start in October 2024, so there is no rush, but I'd like some feedback soon so I can reserve the quilt to teach! It'll be on Zoom hosted by Thimbles and Things, and if I don't call dibs on teaching a Kingwell quilt, someone else might!!! Send me an e-mail with the Jen Kingwell quilt you'd like for a class. elainetheriault@gmail.com

Loads more happened yesterday, but I have a Zoom class at 9:15 and no time to fiddle around this morning. Sorry for that!

And if you have a UFO or two languishing around your house and want in on the excitement of finishing a quilt, watch the blog because tomorrow, I'll reveal all the clubs and classes for January to June of 2024, and some spots are open! And it's mostly about finishing or learning a new technique - there are NO NEW projects for those six months. 

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment