Thursday, September 12, 2024

Preparation is the key to success!

Someone mentioned that my "mini sunflowers" might not be sunflowers. I did take other pictures, which I haven't transferred to my laptop, so I can't post them. Anything is possible, as my thumbs are not green by any means. There isn't even a shade of green in them. 

I'll see if I can find out what the flowers are. I mostly took pictures of the blooms, but I have a couple of buds that sure look like sunflowers. However, I most definitely could be wrong. The other flower's name was black-eyed Susan, and I don't think it's that because these were growing on a spindly stock (like a sunflower, but not a straight stock). Shoot -- I won't have time to take a picture of the stock before I leave. I'll try to find it on the internet. 

The day started bright and early—I was picked up at the hotel at 7:15. I love when people are punctual, and I was waiting with my suitcase full of stitchouts. 

It sure makes a difference, having been to the studio once before. I knew what to do and how to get set up; it took no time. Don't forget there is hair and make-up to be taken care of as well. 

Then, it was time to get wired for sound. This microphone was very tiny, and others are even tinier than that. I love it! Of course, I spotted some other equipment on the desk and had to ask questions. 

So everyone knows what's happening, I have to walk through everything I brought. They were duly impressed and mentioned several times how well-prepared I was. I didn't take a picture, but it was beyond OCD. Even I was pretty impressed. Let's just say that I'm going home with a mess. I literally threw everything into the suitcase, and I'll deal with it when I get home. 

As usual, I brought too much stuff that could be covered or even highlighted, but it's better to have more than not enough. 

Oh, did I mention what I was doing? I was thrilled beyond doubt when I was asked to tape two more episodes of Love of Quilting, the TV show. The answer was a resounding YES—as if I would say no. I would miss a family event for that—well, maybe not M's wedding or even her engagement party, but most other things I'd miss. It's so much fun! 

And the more you do, the fewer "mistakes" you make and the less you have to stop, and well - I'm a talker! Once I get wound up - it's hard to get me to stop! But all in all, it was a super fun day. 

I had my own "dressing room," and no, I didn't get candies delivered, but snacks were available throughout the day. 

The sign on the door of "my" room


Once my two episodes were taped, I watched Sarah and Angela tape one of their shows. What you can learn by observing and asking questions can blow your mind!!!!

After everything was done, I got a picture of the three of us. Note that I've blurred out what was on the cutting table and the quilt on the wall. I don't want to spoil their show. 

Angela, myself, and Sarah 



Here's a behind-the-scenes look at the set. This is where I sat to watch the final episode being taped. There is so much to see! 

The set


It was a super day but exhausting - even for me! But we had loads of laughs, and it was relaxed and not stressful in the least. I know!!! But I just got in my teacher/chatty mode and forgot the cameras were there. That also got mentioned!!! 

I got a ride back to my hotel and vegged out for a while but then decided to take the long way to the restaurant. 

This was the sky -- how beautiful is that? 

The Colorado sky


This area where the hotel is located is very bizarre. There is a school here, some businesses, and even a Kohl's, plus two hotels. It's a good use of space between several major highways!!! 

I spotted this sign and thought they were being "funny," but then I realized they probably meant the BOOT that gets put on cars. 


They mean business


I stopped at Kohl's just to have a look around—I'm not sure I've ever been. I remembered I needed a pair of black pants, so I picked a nice pair for a reasonable price. I got them even cheaper by signing up for a loyalty card! 

While shopping, I spotted this. I had seen them before, but I was a bit in disbelief that this trend had made a comeback. But yes, bell bottoms are back in style. 

Bell bottoms


I mostly stay at the Holiday Inn. I might as well stay at the same hotel chain and try to get loyalty points. And the breakfast offerings are the same wherever you go. They all offer oatmeal, but the consistency is NEVER the same. It is very rare that the consistency is right—it's either runny as water or, as in today's case, pretty thick and almost didn't look cooked. But it was!!!! 

Thick oatmeal



Well, I'm a gambler and headed back home early in the morning. I really want to get home as I have some work to do before leaving the following day. What the heck -- you only live once, and if something happens? Then we go to Plan B. I'm not worried in the least. As Doris Day would say (or sing), "Que sera sera!!!"

I'm off. I hope you are all working on the decluttering situation. The one thing I realized that I should have done was to keep some of the pictures handy over the years. I now need some of the "before" and "after." I'm sure I'm going to find them—it might just take a while. 

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!














10 comments:

  1. Most likely Arrowleaf Balsamroot or a plant in that family. Shirley in BC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so as the leaves were not the same, but it looks very similar. Drat - I should have taken better pictures and not just the flower!!! Next item. The flowers I saw grew on a shrub, not necessarily single stocks like the Arrowleaf balsamroot. But I was not familiar with this flower. It's also beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I have this program on record so will be looking forward to your episode Elaine, safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy -- I must ask when these episodes will air. It's going to be about 6 months down the road!!

      Delete
  3. Black-eyed Susan's are the state Flower of Maryland! They are distantly related to Sunflowers. We celebrate them in May when the 2nd race of the Triple Crown, the Preakness, is run at Pimlico in Baltimore. The winner gets a wreath of black-eyed Susans!! They are super easy to grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black-eyed susans don't bloom in the spring so the wreath is actually daisies that look like them. They used to paint the daisy centers black but now there's a type of daisy with dark centers that are used.

      Delete
    2. Who knew that black-eyed susans were distantly related to the sunflower. They look similar to be sure. Either way -- it was a beautiful bloom and for my non-gardening skill level, it's all in the beauty of the bloom!!!

      Delete
    3. It looks like the wreaths are now made using the Viking Pom which is a yellow flower with a brown center so no more painting!!!! The things we learn from each other!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I don't think the pants are bell bottoms, not wide enough. I believe they're boot cut - a little wider so they fit over boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they don't have a huge flare on the bottom, but in person, they definitely looked wider and were labeled bell bottom. It's all in the eye of the designer!!!! I doubt there are rules as to what defines a bell bottom flare!!!!

      Delete