Friday, September 13, 2024

Quilt History books

I'm home! It was hilarious because I hadn't even boarded the flight to come home when I was checked in for the flight tomorrow morning. Yes, it's a bit of a crazy scheduling situation at the moment, and while (fingers crossed) it looks good to get away tomorrow, there's no guarantee that I'll get home on Sunday! But I'm a gambler! Plan B or Plan C will be implemented if need be. And what are they? I've no idea yet, but I'll think of something if I need to. 

The flight home was pretty uneventful, except if you think the Toronto airport is huge, Denver is HUGE. There is the West Terminal and the East Terminal, and within each of those, there are multiple buildings that you get to by train. It's a crazy place, but I managed to get to the proper gate! and well within the time frame. I had no problems getting the luggage checked. 

So, are those sunflowers? Or Black-eyed Susans? I should have the proper response tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards sunflowers. Think BUSH Sunflowers. Remember - I was in Colorado, not Canada. 

As we arrived in Toronto, there was that giant Airbus 380. I'm not sure what plane it's beside, but the 380 is massive. When you see it from the back, the way the wings are attached makes it look like a waddling duck. 

The Airbus 380

I think I arrived home around 2 PM. I love flying west—you gain time, but you lose it all on the return. The first thing was cuddles with the girls. You would think by now that they get it that when we go away, we come back. But Murphy? Nope—she's just a silly girl. 

I immediately unpacked my suitcase. I don't need this one for a few weeks, but I didn't want to leave my samples squished. So they are laid out on one of the project tables in Studio B, and I hope to get that all cleaned up in October.

The suitcase is empty

I saw this license plate at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum and I probably have it already, but I bought it - just in case! I now need to do something with all those license plates. I'll come up with a plan!! 


A "new" license plate

Even adding the seven (shhhhhh!!!!) books I purchased at the museum, I wasn't even close to the weight limit on my suitcase. I didn't see the weight, but it wasn't an issue. 

I love these state quilt history books and added a few more to my collection. 



Quilt history books

Another quilt history book

Two more states

Washington state



Those are the books that I'll keep when I need to downsize! It's so much fun to read the histories of the quiltmakers. 

Oh -- I should mention that those books are used, so the most I paid was $10. Most of them were $5. A very good deal. Last year when I went to Golden, I only had carry-on so I was very restricted in what I could bring home. This year - big suitcase (well, medium) and I was good! 

Then I had to finish the book I was reading while I relaxed and had a cup of tea. Then, it was time to get to work and get the binding on that quilt. I decided to trim the quilt BEFORE I cut the binding. Usually, I make the binding when I make the top, but that did not happen with this quilt. The back of the quilt was plush, so there was a HUGE mess to clean up before I could cut the binding. 

What a mess to clean up!


The good news? The binding is on the quilt, and it's packed in my carry-on. Now I must also find some clothes to throw in there, but the important thing is in the suitcase! 


The binding is on




Look at this silly girl. This is how she washes her face; she looks like such a goof when she does that! Then, when she realizes you are watching her, she gets shy and stops!!!! Oh, Lexi -- I love you to bits!
MOM - stop looking at me!!!!


I am NOT saying this because I was just at their offices, but this is the most recent issue of Love of Quilting (Fons and Porter), and OH MY -- it is a good issue. There are two quilts I'd love to make and some great ads for stuff I'd love to have, but my long arm is too old - perhaps a new one is in order? Anyway, check it out. I thought it was great, and I got to meet the editor while I was at Golden. 


The most recent issue of Love of Quilting


You may see me on a video somewhere mentioning how much I liked this issue! 


Well, that's it for today! 

I'm off to pack some clothes!!!


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!




4 comments:

  1. There’s are more than 20 different types of sunflowers, five of which are native to Colorado. Elaine, I suspect you are correct in suggesting it is a bush sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!!! I had no idea there were TWENTY varieties of sunflowers. For me -- they have one long stalk and one (mostly) big head!!! That's what I saw in Spain and what I'm familiar with here. But so many -- thanks for the confirmation!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love DIA! Great airport for walking. And their luggage system is so fast!

    Welcome home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- I'm laughing as I read your comment. Luggage is fast because the airport is so big!!!! But you are correct -- it's a great airport - so beautiful!!!! and the luggage really is fast!!! Plus they have luggage carousels for skis!! The first time I saw that, I was surprised as I'd never seen it anywhere else.

      Delete