Friday, September 20, 2024

The "to be quilted" list!

The last day of this section of the marathon! Then, after two days of mini madness, I'll be back on the road! If you live in Penticton, BC, or the area around, come out, as I have a great event planned. Then I'll be in Chilliwack and Surrey for more great events. If you live in those areas, check out the shops. Tom's Sewing Center is in Chilliwack and Surrey, and Black Rabbit is in Penticton! I'm going to make it!!

Here's a couple of observations before I share my photos with you. Is your mouth as sensitive as mine? Why can we eat almost anything, but when something long and skinny is in our mouth, we can feel it, and it's yucky? I'm not talking about hair, but that would be the same. It was a skinny string from a banana, and I couldn't swallow it. It's crazy! 

The second is the continuation of the Tim's story. Some Tim's are notorious for slow and sloppy service. Then, there is one specific Tim's in my neighborhood. This is not the closest one to me, but they are notorious for their speedy service. I don't think I've ever waited much in line—maybe two minutes? It's a crazy place. 

There is a gentleman—I do not know if he is the owner, manager, or employee—who keeps the drive-thru line moving. So the other day, when I tried to pay with the app, and it didn't work, he said I had to turn on the scan and pay feature, which was easy to see when I wasn't in the line. But he is the most efficient person I've ever seen, even when he passed that information to me. 

I am NOT a regular customer, and the app incident occurred two days ago. Yesterday, when I sped through the line, I used the app, got points, and paid with one scan. Can you believe what the guy said to me? "Yes -- it worked today!" Managing his busy line and only seeing people through the drive-thru window, he remembered. I call that exceptional skills. I will stop in one day when it's not busy and tell him that I think he's the best employee/person to ever work at Tim's. He is that good!

And he's been like that for years. When the service was terrible at the one closest to me, I'd drive an extra few km and go there because I knew the service was always the best. I'm sure he knows, but he needs to have it said in person! I was so shocked when he said that, that I didn't have time to react before I needed to get my butt out of the line! 

AHA—I had some extra time yesterday morning, so the girls and I walked through the forest. Look what I spotted!! Yep—they planted grass on the dirt beside the path, and it's starting to grow. That's good because the roots will help to keep that dirt in place. I should have realized there was a plan! 


Grass growing in the dirt by the path


Oh gosh -- this girl needs grooming so desperately!!! Maybe tonight. 

A fuzzy butt


I spent the day cutting kits and helping people with their projects when needed. It was a great day, and the dealers are just that much smarter with their machines!

Cutting kits

When I got home, I felt great, which was a positive thing. So great, in fact, that it was a challenge to get to sleep. I finally got a chance to hang up that piece of artwork for which I had found the sawtooth hangers. It has been sitting around, waiting to be hung for years—so long that I don't even remember where I acquired the piece. That's very bad. 


My new artwork is hung


And now it hangs on the wall with another piece of thread artwork. I have another piece sitting here that needs a sawtooth hanger, and then I have to find a home for it. That's a job for October when I have time to return to the office to continue the tidy-up. 

Thread artwork


We were playing fetch, and Murphy was getting lazy. She sat all pretty by the pond and attempted to ask me to get her ball. I mean, really! I can see the pink ball sitting on the rocks; she has no problem climbing over them to get it! Silly girl!!!!

MOM -- help me!!!!!


This got dropped on my doorstep - a belt bag that was part of some promotion. I was asked if I wanted it before it came my way. You could see me for miles wearing this one! It's a bit larger than my other ones, so this will be perfect when I need to carry a few more things. I do NOT like wearing those belt bags as cross-body bags, even though I do. It looks so darn awkward to have that bag right at your breast. And the straps are not at an angle, so the bag doesn't look nice at all!! So the "fanny" pack is out, and the belt bag is in!!!  Thanks for the bag! You know who you are!

A new belt bag


I needed a minor adjustment on my sewing machine yesterday, and that got done so I could bring everything from the meeting home. It came into the house and even got brought downstairs. Then, I had something to sew. However, it certainly helps to plug in the foot pedal when you attempt that!! 

It won't sew without the foot pedal attached


Then I got in my head that I needed a certain book. Oh, what a nightmare that is. I'm pretty sure I know what the book looks like, but could I find it? I searched the entire bookcase but did not find the darn thing. I can find the information online, but having the book would certainly help. 

Searching for a book


As I went through the books, I found so many projects or techniques that I want to spend more time on, but there's not enough time!!! It's really sad, to say the least! The books need to be in better order and cataloged, so I have a complete list of them. While the list won't tell me where they are, it should help. 

So yes, ALL the books need to be removed from the shelf, sorted by technique, style, or topic and then put back on the shelf. What a fun job that will be!

A couple of rolling carts sit in front of the bookcase in one spot. I spotted this on the floor when I pulled the cart away from the bookcase. What the heck is it? 

A mystery part


It looks like the base of something. It's black and shiny, and I'm sure it's metallic or at least substantial plastic. And it's broken off a corner. Now, what the heck could that be from? I have no idea!


On my way home, I noticed the gas prices were relatively low—just under $1.40 a liter. I would need gas in the car to get to and from the technical course today, so I made a mental note to return last night. It was even lower when I remembered and I actually got to the gas station. This morning, I bet the price will be about 5 - 10 cents higher, so it's always worth it to get your butt out of the house after dinner and fill up the car. This was the price at almost 9 PM. 

Gas price is LOW


Here's another moment of not trusting my organizing system.  Some people would say this is why they do not organize. I decided that I have two small quilts that MUST be in my suitcase next week. One I stumbled upon as I was searching the tubs in the "to be quilted" area to find a couple of quilt tops to take next week. This should be a sign to me -- if I remove a quilt from a "to be quilted" tub, it should go in the queue for quilting. I might just do that because this one top has been pulled multiple times. 

That triggered my memory of another quilt that I wanted to pack. I knew that it had been residing on the old messy table of half-finished projects. So, I searched for that quilt top but couldn't find it. I saw many other things that were in the same box as that quilt top, but not that quilt top. 

I had glanced at the list of "to be quilted" projects, but I was in a rush the other day and didn't take the time to scan it properly. I went back late last night and spent a bit more time perusing the list and there it was. It was in a "to be quilted" tub, but it wasn't in the tub with the most recently added items. I had found some holes in some of the other tubs, so it got shoved into an older one.

I must learn to trust my system and then take the time to read the darn list. If I had done that, I would have found the quilt in a minute, several days ago. Once I know which tub it's in, it's a breeze to locate the quilt. Hence, the list. So, now that I'm organized, why am I not trusting myself? Or am I just in too much of a hurry? 


Well, I'm off for the day. Wait- there's a virtual retreat this weekend. Here are the links. 


Saturday, September 21 - starts at 6 PM

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89816483795?pwd=Mjc3M3pvVmZPdjdsQzlHS3Zhck52dz09

Meeting ID: 898 1648 3795
Passcode: 248667


Sunday, September 22 - Starts at Noon

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82983517671?pwd=ODdsa1FJenQwdFNaQWFTNGd4bEhPZz09

Meeting ID: 829 8351 7671
Passcode: 117636




If you want to take an in-person machine quilting class or attend a lecture on improving your sewing habits, be sure to sign up for those classes, which take place tomorrow at The Hobby Horse


Have a super day!  I hope you are all remembering your commitment (OK, so I committed you) to cleaning up/tidying up your spaces! All it takes to get started is a drawer! That's easy, and it shouldn't take a lot of time. So hop to it!!!


Ciao!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I may be able to check out the event in Surrey!

    ReplyDelete