Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day and Night - Night and Day!!!!


Another productive day!!!!   I just love those kind of days. On the days when I rent out the machine, I am tied to the house in the event there are problems. So I sew - it works out perfect. Kathleen was here and got TWO quilts done. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of either, but this is her second time here and she is getting pretty handy with the machine.

The day before I managed to get TWO customer quilts done as well. OK - so both of them were small.

Customer quilt

Customer quilt


Before I get to my productive day - I have to tell you about yoga class. I went to yoga at 6:30 AM. Adam is the teacher and I am not sure he is my favourite. He started off by talking to us while he is lying down. I couldn't hear him very well - the other instructors tend to walk around the room. Then he would go through the motions, but not TALK us through the motions. I prefer the talking!!!   I could never figure out what I was supposed to be doing, although he did spend a lot more time than the others do trying to help you get into the right position. Then at the end when we are all lying on our mats having a peaceful moment, I am wondering why people are packing up and leaving. OOOPS - Adam has left the room and we were on our own time to get up. I could have stayed there all day - it was so peaceful!!!!    Of course the lady beside me was MISS YOGA queen and could do everything he said and didn't say with no hesitations. I liked the man on my other side, although for an old guy - he was pretty good as well.


Then I got back home and once Kathleen got set up - I got down to work. Marian even popped over, but I still got work done. And what did I do????????


Well I am FINALLY putting this book to bed. And why????

I am DONE - yes I am DONE DONE DONE with all those Day and Night projects. HORRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!


I had TEN of these blocks so I used nine and made this wall hanging (Marian calls it a Baby Einstein play mat)


Backing and binding DONE!!!!!!   I am writing these on my BBB list because there is NO other place in my ACCOMPLISHED list to write them. I'm OK with that. 


Then I had 1 1/2 blocks left. I could have put them in the orphan block box, but NO - I had some scraps left over - so I made 1 1/2 blocks and sewed them together to get this.


The three left over blocks

Then I made this table runner from the leftovers

And the backing and the binding.


So in addition to the main quilt, I got THREE additional projects out of that fabric. Let's just say I am DONE with Day and Night.



OH OH - here comes trouble.....................A customer dropped off a quilt the other night - guess what the pattern is???????


YEP - that would be the original Day and Night!!!!!!!    OK - so it is NOT in black/white and red. 


And I managed to get this many more diamonds sewn

Still this many to go

My winnings from Roll Up the Rim. Now that the contest is over - I will use them up. Only three donuts and 14 coffees. I do NOT think this is a true representation of 1 in 6 winnings. If that were the case - I would have MANY MANY more of those tabs and some of these belonged to DH. And WHERE is my car????????



OK - so here is something that irks me. Do you recognize this quilt?????


PLEASE do NOT say "Oh that is the Twister quilt"  Why - because it is NOT the Twister quilt

This quilt was made from a book that was published in 2005 and in fact is a revised copy of a book that was published in 1995!!!!!!!!   Oh yes - this is called SQUARE DANCE.


Here is MY copy of this book 

And look what we used as a template!!!!!!!    


So someone decided to take this technique and make a ruler out of it, sell patterns and make a lot of money. HOWEVER - the rulers dictate the size of squares you use and cut. As a result there is a HUGE amount of waste with the Twister ruler. With the Square Dance method - there is a small square of each colour you use as waste and you can make your pieces ANY SIZE - WITH LITTLE waste.


The marketing people have gone NUTS in the quilting world and the quilters are GADGET CRAZY. I used to be a gadget person and I would have bought the Twister ruler, but I got smart (OK - you can ignore that comment) along the way and I am VERY VERY careful what I buy for new tools and rulers. Gimmick or a true product??????

I also have a huge collection of books and am pretty familiar with them - lots of time what is new - isn't new at all. I also buy older books because they are cheap - no one wants them and they have great techniques like Square Dance.


But have a look at these Square Dance books on Amazon.com - look at the price of the original book!!!!!!!

Square Dance on Amazon



And thanks to my Aunt who sent me this link to an AMAZING article on ORANGE!!!!!!  This article is so cool - orange is ENERGETIC - just like me!!!!!!

ORANGE!!!!!!


One last fun thing - you know I love Scrabble - well have a look at this board!!!!!   I want to win the lottery so I can order one.


Scrabble Board


On that note - I have a very bizarre errand to do today. Can't tell you about it yet, but it will be an adventure I am sure.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Guess who has the original Square Dance book? Yup, me!

    ReplyDelete