Thursday, May 17, 2012

Protection!


Well - I could have used some protection this morning on the walk.

We were hardly away from the house when Sparky took off like a rocket. I didn't hear any yelping or yelling so I assumed she was chasing a rabbit. Sammy and I kept walking. We turn down one path and through the trees, I saw a streak of white followed by a streak of black . Ooops - again there is another streak of white followed by a streak of black. Must be Sparky who has found another dog to play with. I did not hear any voices though.

Yep - there is Sparky and OMG - look what she found to play with - a COYOTE!!!!!!   Sparky is lucky the coyote wasn't agressive. I knew they were in the area as they had announced it on the radio and so many people who back onto this forest throw their garbage over the fence (compostable garbage) and of course it attracts the coyotes.

First time I see one though. Sparky was panting like an idiot from all the running - the coyote - not so much. I turned around and we came back home. Not a peep from the coyote.  Of coruse - I took my STUPID camera out of my pocket BEFORE the walk. DAMN!!!!!

So while Joyce was here and got TWO quilts done on the long arm, I spent the day sewing one secret project that she didn't even know about. Got the backing done and the binding. Then I started on the second secret project. You see, Vicki at our guild did something that I think was brilliant. She is in charge of core (the community projects) and sometimes you tend to get ho-hom quilts back from the participants. She designed a jelly roll challenge. Shoot - I should have taken pictures of the rolls to show you after the reveal. Anyway I picked up not just one, but TWO jelly rolls - I know - I have to STOP that.

I made way nicer quilts because of that format than if I were sewing squares together. The second quilt top is almost done. The challenge was what to do if you run out of fabric as there was no way to get more. On the first one - remember I said I made 544 blocks and only meeded 543. Well that was true, but I needed 8 more of each of two fabrics and I didn't have enough to make the extra blocks. I ran to the stash - found something that was close and used it. You hardly notice it in the quilt.

Same thing happened in this second quilt. I started cutting without a thought as to how it would work - then I had a great idea and of course - I did not have quite enough fabric for a couple of them. Nothing in the stash so off to Ruti's to find a couple of substitutes - close enough and you wouldn't know that I did what I did.

I have realized that this is what I LOVE. Solving problems - run out of fabric - how to fix it. Make a mistake (and I did make one in the second quilt) - but I fixed it so you can't tell.

Now to get them both quilted and bound before May 28. Yes it is doable even for me!!!!!!  

Now back to the computer - as Joyce merrily quilted away (she is getting pretty good at it), and I sewed, my computer was very very busy.



Back up screen for all my files

The external hard disk - hard at work

It backed up a LOT of data - 189 GB to be exact - something like 65,000 files. I guess there was a LOT of e-mail and a LOT of pictures.

Took all day - it finished sometime after I went to bed!!!!   I have another back-up disk and I am tempted to use it as well - well if I am going for protection - nothing like being well protected.

I promise - I will get to some quilting stuff that I can share with you real soon.

I have created my list of TOP three things that I want to do today and I MUST get them done.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Backing up to your external drive protects your data in case of a computer crash, but what about if something happens to your home---maybe while you aren't there to grab the disk?? Do you have some sort of off-site backup? I've been thinking I should sign up for Mozy or Carbonite. My genealogy database is on Dropbox, but not my pictures and stuff because I'm too cheap for the paid version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is why the jelly rolls were all gone by the time I got to the table...lol.....I had one I picked up for a really good price in the states so used it.

    Maryv

    ReplyDelete