Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quilts and reading



Here is the picture that I wanted to post yesterday, but the camera card drive was being temperamental.......


Ah - looks much better with the red center, NOT the white center.   Only 24 more blocks to go!!!!!!   


Got to get myself organized to make that happen, but it won't be for a bit as I have some other stuff that needs to get done first. Including a customer quilt that is being picked up on Friday. I had TWO quilts scheduled this week, but then I found out that this one is a CUSTOM quilt which takes longer to do. DRAT  - that messed up my entire schedule. And I am BAD - when something messes up my schedule, I go into withdrawal mode. Instead of pushing to get half of it done yesterday - NO - I procrastinated so now I have to do most of it TODAY.


And what did I do when I was hiding from this quilt???????   Oh first - let's discuss what happened. I get quilts from people - and they say Do whatever you want. Well - you know what - I HATE that. If you want an overall design - I'm OK with that. I will pick a design and put it on. I hate to say this - but if they don't care - then why do I drive myself crazy CARING???????    So I pick a design.


This quilt has twelve star blocks and a LOT of sashings and borders. I was given the instructions - stitch in the ditch on the stars and do whatever you want with the rest. ACK!!!!!!    Anyway after MUCH mental antics - I finally settled on something very simple, but by then I lost my enthusiasm for getting the quilt done. So now - I have no choice.

Our brain works in mysterious ways.......................


However as I am getting these customer quilts complete, I am getting excited about quilting my own. But that will have to wait until the fall. I have decided that the machine is NOT going to work in the summer. Not for me, not for the others. It will be shut down. I am going to enjoy the summer.


So when one does NOT feel like quilting - you can always read about quilting!!!!   I decided that I would read one of the Elm Creek books that I started a while back, but just couldn't get into. While I enjoy reading about the quilting stories, they are not my favourite books (sorry to the author - hey I still read them). I'm not even sure why - maybe would be more fun if the books stayed with the main characters, but there is so much so NEATLY packaged around quilting - a bit too NEAT perhaps. But they are an OK read. And I kind of feel compelled to read them because I am a quilter.



Before I go and get myself organized for the day - I thought I would share this project with you. This is one of the ones I did in March. Carla - the editor of A Needle Pulling Thread asked me to make a quilt for her out of linen clothing that belonged to her family members. I won't tell you the entire story of how the design was chosen and what happened when making it - you will have to buy the magazine for those details. I'll just share these pictures with you so you can see what I was so busy with. This is a QUEEN sized quilt and was definitely a challenge to make.


The Linen Quilt or as Carla calls it - Living in Linen

Details of Living in Linen

Details of border for Living in Linen



And there you have it. Seems like nothing when I post these pictures, but I spent a LOT of time with that quilt.

I am making good progress on my new secret project. It is almost half done - well one half is in four sections - the other half is still in blocks.


Got to run - have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine,

    Know I'm not an expert by any stretch---however I prefer the white center block instead of the red---looks crisper to me---food for thought !!!!
    Sure is going to be a gorgeous quilt no matter what---can't wait to buy tickets & WIN it.

    Lynn S. Vancouver.( Carol D's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Marie Bostwick's Cobbled Court Quilters series? There are 4 in the series.

    Maryv

    ReplyDelete