Sunday, October 28, 2012

IMPROV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD - I have been teaching for over 12 years. And for the most part -

 I have NEVER screwed up.
 I may have been a few minutes late (those darn lines at Tim Horton's),
 I may have driven myself crazy with teaching at TWO different stores on the same day
 I may not always have had the samples as ready as I would like


But yesterday - well yesterday was a FIRST for me.


I COMPLETELY FORGOT about a class. YEP - it was in the hand written calendar (but not in the electronic calendar which sends me reminders), but it just didn't compute! Not even on the radar screen. Matter of fact, it was just a fluke that I was still at the store when the students started to arrive. My FIRST major senior moment.

And it was machine quilting - I usually bring LOTS of stuff - samples of quilts, tools or whatever.


OH MY GOD - the two girls working at the store (nor the customers) could not see the panic that I felt. ACK - 20 minutes to class time and there is NO WAY I can go home and get back in time. What to do - what to do - what to do???????????


Well - let's think clearly here - HEY - I am IN A QUILTING STORE. I pulled some threads, needles and other supplies from the notions rack. Grabbed a couple of quilts and I was the MASTER of that class.

Granted, I have taught machine quilting MANY MANY MANY times, but I didn't have my PROPS to help me.

I have had visions in the past of showing up to a class with the WRONG stuff - this was just as bad!!!!!!

OH MY - I had a "little" chuckle over that. Thank god that I think FAST on my feet.


I remember an interview I had way back when. It was for a sales job in the computer industry (yes - I had a previous life before quilting). The man who interviewed me (I knew him because this was an internal move for me). I will NEVER forget one question that he asked me. He asked "give me an example of your creativity". And he wasn't referring to how pretty or nice I made a quilt (I wasn't a quilter at that time). I really had a hard time answering the question because creativity to me was doing something with your hands. But in actual fact - creativity comes into play EVERY time you are stumped or get into a situation. What is your solution - how well did it work - was the customer happy - was it mutually beneficial to the parties involved - blah blah blah. Well after teaching for 12 years - I have had to improvise on NUMEROUS occasions  but NEVER this much!!!!!   If someone asked me that question today - I would say - how much time do I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I probably shouldn't tell you this story, but I had to share it with you. Those of you who think I am so organized!!!!   Sometimes - things slip through the cracks!!!!!!!!!!   Now I know why I had on my "TO DO" list - "fix up the October calendar". Well here it is the end of October and I still haven't done that. I guess I will pay attention to this a bit more in the future.


On that note - I am going to FIX the November and December calendars IMMEDIATELY so I don't miss any events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment