Tuesday, October 9, 2012

THANK GOD for backups!!!!!!!!!!!


Am I am NOT talking about the computer!!!!

One of my missions yesterday was to hit the cemetery where two of my Great Grandmother's siblings are buried. I arrive at the cemetery and grab my camera. I get out of the car - OH CRUD!!!!!   The little door where the card goes is OPEN. That means one thing - the CARD IS STILL IN THE COMPUTER!!!!!   ACK!!!!!!!


BUT - not to worry because the little point and shoot is in my purse - which is in the car. NEVER NEVER NEVER travel without a backup!!!!!   And the pictures were probably just as good (although I am sure the high end photographers would disagree) as if I had the big camera.

Plaque at the church

St. John's Anglican Church - Nassageweya

The church

The headstone - Issac is Wayne's grandfather and James - I can't remember who  James was????

Small stone for Agnes and James



Now here is a mystery - the church is square to the road, but the graves are NOT!!!!  I wonder why (something to do with facing east????)  And the significance of the placement of the graves????  The Warmington's are right at the back (or would that be the front). See the big black one on the right - well their stone is the next one to the left (in the background)


Funny how things work out. This church is on Guelph Line. It so happens that we (the GYM friends) were planning a hike at Crawford Lake which is where????   Yep - off of Guelph Line a few KM down the road. So I killed two birds with one stone, although I was NOT able to locate the house where the Warmington's lived. I must have got the directions wrong from Wayne. I will re ask.

So off to Crawford Lake. I got there WAY BEFORE the rest did. They got held up at the gym. Oh well - it was a GORGEOUS day.

The "GYM" friends hiking!!!!!   That is geeky me in the red jacket on the left

I started off with these two - we were in the front - we were the FAST walkers. 

Crawford Lake
 Crawford Lake is a RARE lake. There are only 30 of its kind in Canada. This was an earthcache (but I don't think I would have  a clue how to figure out the information required to log it. I will have to think about that - something to do with volume of part of the lake. ACK!!!!

Here is a link to an interesting article that I found on the internet...............


History of Crawford Lake


Apparently it is HAUNTED as well.................   (read the above and you will see why)



A couple of pictures looking into the lake (see the fish - just in front of the leaf) . Very bizarre looking.

Although this was at the surface, it looked like it should have hundreds of feet below the surface



So the FAST walkers got around the lake quickly. When the others caught up - one of them asked if we saw the ctwisted tree????   Nope - we were going too fast for that!!!!!!!!!    I opted to go back so I could get a picture. A couple of the guys decided to follow, but then they turned around.

The twisted tree - the ONLY one in the area

It was twisted from the roots right up to the tip of the tree - very weird

When I get back to the end of the lake trail, the THREE AMIGOS are waiting for me. Oh boy - these three are in my Team Fitness class in the morning. OK - so I decide to walk with them, although my first interest is in the geocache that is on the trail ahead somewhere.


The THREE AMIGOS

I zip down a trail to get the geocache....................   (was an easy one)


The geocache
 I figure the three amigos would forge ahead and I could easily catch up to them.

BUT NOT - they were sitting on a bench where I turned off the trail. Well NOT OFF the trail - just down a different trail.

And what were they doing???????????


Having snacks!!!!!!!!!!! Wine and cheese


Maria's husband (the one with the black jacket) is getting calls from Maria - where are we?????

Oh boy - the three amigos were not in any rush and I must admit that I shared their snack!!!!   But time to move on.


This was the view at the lookout. 

Then this little girl got into the pictures we were taking. We had a lot of fun with that!!!!

Amazing how the rocks are splitting. Essentially the edge of the escarpment is breaking away from the main part of the rock.  
 At LONG LAST we arrived back at the main area. Micheal is a slow walker and we had to wait for him several times.


By the time we arrived - the rest of the group was gone. That is Maria in the aqua jacket. 


Anyway - it was a great day. The weather was amazing - couldn't have asked for better. This is a tradition that Maria has done with her "groupies" for years. I didn't know all the people on the hike. But apparently the snacking in the woods is a regular occurrence - I will know for next year.


I would love to go back. This area is GORGEOUS. This is a bad week for me, but I hope next week to get out with the girls (the four legged ones)  - they would LOVE it there. And there are a couple of trails that look challenging and I would love to hike them. Need to take better advantage of what we have around here.


After I picked M up from work, we had a BIG task ahead of us. We drove out to a nice quiet DEADEND road in the country. Then we switched seats and she proceeded to practice driving the standard. There are only a few houses on this stretch of road and if they looked out their windows, I am sure they would have wondered what was going on. There was this red car - it would drive a bit, then stop, then start, then stop, then start - well you get the picture. Anyway - she did very well. A few things we had to correct - like don't skip the gears!!!!   PAY attention to the road, DO NOT look at the gear shift when changing - little stuff like that. Then I drove home and she drove around the quiet residential streets.  A bit more practice on the quiet streets before I let her out into the traffic, but she did great!!!!!


Then home to attempt to get some work done. M was at Thanksgiving dinner with Berke, DH was away with a client and I had the house to myself. I have to confess - I DID NOTHING. I lay on the sofa and played with my "iFriends" for a bit (the iPad), then I read a bit, browsed more magazines and then it was time for bed.





I did manage to get Ronda's Halloween quilt done before I went in veg mode!!!


Ronda's Halloween quilt



So now I have to play catch up today and that is NOT going to happen. Off on another exciting adventure this afternoon. I don't think I will be able to get pictures but I can tell you about it. That is a whole 'nuther story!!!!!!



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You were in my neighborhood yesterday Elaine. I may be able to help you find your ancestor's farmhouse because I have a Nassegeweya History book.

    Mary V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have located the 2 properties that Issaac and Mary aka Minnie lived at and also the property that he bought but died just after purchasing it. I will copy the map and section in the book that references them. FYI James was one of their children.

    Mary V

    ReplyDelete