Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The CreativFestival GALA


Yes - I am WAY BEHIND. I have so much to tell you and I will try to dish it out in bits today.

So yes - we went to the Gala at the CreativFestival. I don't think we paid for the tickets - I think I got one because I was teaching and M got one as part of her package. Anyway - there was a cocktail hour with food. I am a VERY positive person, but there were deficiencies with the food. I won't go into details - there is a HUGE furor over it (on Facebook and I think MANY MANY people complained directly to Rita - the owner of CreativFestival) and I am glad that I am NOT the person responsible. I want to keep the atmosphere of this blog happy (OK - so I have a lapse every once in a while) so I won't belabour the food point.

Anyway - after our "meal" we went down to the runway area where they were going to present the awards for the Designer Challenge and the Fashion Show. I am not sure what happened, but there were a number of things that just didn't work as they should have during the awards presentation. Again I won't go into details, but even M (who is a mere 16 years old and NO experience in that kind of thing) said that some of the things were a bit off. Too bad because it was a great celebration - a fabulous idea and I knew one of the people who won.
This is Sonia (sorry - don't know her last name). She won the Upcycling Category - she received a beautiful trophy from Swarovski Crystals and a cheque for $1000. How cool is that!!!!!

This is her piece - very hard to see because there was no background behind it, but it is a lady made from a typewriter . It was called "Hidden Message" and the letters (keys) in the skirt were arranged in a secret message. Very clever. Congrats Sonia!!!!!!!   She belongs to a local quilting guild. 

The same evening as CreativFestival gala was The Venetian Ball.   While I was waiting for M to change, I was googling on my phone to get the details - WOW - minimum table price was $10,000 for a table of TEN. Black tie and gowns. Oh and let's not forget that everyone got a mask to wear.


Attendees of The Venetian Ball

More attendees

And even more - there were some GORGEOUS fashions
 But it raised a question. If you do NOT have the perfect figure and who does????   Should you wear a tight fitting gown???   While some people are comfortable to celebrate whatever their shape, I would prefer to camouflage as much as I could. Each to their own, but there were a few gowns - well I didn't think the person should have been wearing it!!!!


And then you have this stunning beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!    Nope - she wasn't going to The Venetian Ball, but to our gala. Do you know who this is?????   Why that would be our very own M!!!!!!!!!!!!    OK - so she out classed her mother by a mile!!!!   But I am just the mother so that is OK.

M - ready for the Gala
And the guests of the Venetian Ball got fancy surroundings as well!!!!!



Anyway - after the awards ceremony, it was time for the fashion show. Let me back track just a minute. When we arrived in the seating area, there were NOT a lot of seats available. Lots were reserved for various guests, groups, etc. So we sat near the back BUT right on the aisle directly in front of the runway. That way - I could pop up and get pictures without bothering anyone. Then we realized there was a podium right in front of us and a bunch of photographers. The photographers tried to get the production staff to move the podium but they said NO. Which was ABSOLUTELY ridiculous - how could the photographers get pictures of the awards and clothing with a podium and the MC right DEAD center and her back was to us. It was STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Then a couple of ladies came and they had to sit separate from each other because they couldn't get seats together. So a BUSY BODY behind me, decided to help out and moved a chair from across the aisle DIRECTLY BESIDE me (without asking me or the people who were separated). I was MAD and I turned to her and said "thanks for putting that chair right beside me - because I chose the aisle seat for a specific reason". She was OFFENDED. Where are people's manners?????   And why do they think they can solve the earth's problems??????  

Anyway - we moved over one (into the new chair) and let this lady sit in M's chair and I moved right out into the aisle. But now that we were over one more chair, the line of vision was even worse. M got up and went to sit further up in the reserved seats and I followed suit. Well it was the BEST MOVE of the night. We ended up sitting beside a nice young man who was one of the designers in the fashion show. We got the INSIDE SCOOP on the entire show. It was AWESOME. I must say that I am VERY HAPPY that that busy body got involved in our seating arrangement because we had a way better time there than where we started out!!!!

There is a design challenge for the local fashion schools that want to participate. It is called Project Catwalk and similar to the TV program. They are given a challenge and by the end of the weekend, they have to come up with an outfit. The winner of that competition then puts on the fashion show for the following year. Oh yes - the CreativFestival is trying to get more people involved in the crafts and therefore bringing in a fashion component, which I love.

In a couple of past shows, the fashions were WAY OUT THERE. Absolutely no way that anyone would  or could wear them. This year, I thought most of them were wearable off the rack. Now "I" would not wear them, but the 20, 30 and possible 40's age categories would. Here are a few shots of some of the clothes.................


One of my favourite pieces - front

The back









I did NOT get a shot of any of Zaal's work. We were applauding because his designs were awesome as well - some beautiful fabrics in his collection. I hope to get some pictures soon. My daughter has become quite the little networker. She and Zaal had quite a conversation - of course when he mentioned that they had to do a photo shoot of the designs - she pipes up that she is a model!!!!!!!!!!!!   Next thing they are exchanging phone numbers. You see - some of the girls who modeled the clothes are not models so they could use her expertise.

And Zaal's family flew in from Dubai for the show and they were sitting behind us - I mean - it was meant to be. We had LOADS of fun.

By now - it is getting late and we headed home. M and I had a great time - we critiqued the entire evening and that was good. Was good to see if from her perspective and well it was good mother/daughter bonding time. She really really enjoyed it and that is what it is all about. OK - I had a good time too.

Oh yes - I forgot - when M was in the LONG food line, she got talking to a woman who used to teach fashion (I think that is what she taught). Anyway - M got loads of advice from this woman and was quite excited about that. Then the lady from the production company commented (while we were waiting to enter the show) about how flattering her little black dress was. Well - should I tell you where she got that dress and how much she paid for it???????   Let's just say that the cost of the dress - you only need ONE hand to count the dollars. M is a good shopper. She needs to be because her mother spends all the family money on quilting stuff!!!!!!!!!!11


OK - I think that covers the gala - I got way more stuff (over 100 pictures still to deal with) and I will get to them later today.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment