Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sewing machine tables and storage



Yes - I am late. I had paperwork to do and thought I better get it out of the way (while I was in the mood) BEFORE I blogged.

Sewing machine cabinets - well  - you know me - I could go on and on about any topic. But today I won't. (OK - so I did) For years, I sewed on a banquet table and I was perfectly happy. I had purchased a Horn (brand) cabinet a NUMBER of years ago and my quilting machine (that I rarely used) was in the cabinet. I finally decided to buy the insert for my piecing machine and get better use of my nice fancy cabinet.

I think I finally have found a spot for it (my little command station). But some jigging needed to take place.

It feels like a galley kitchen. The computer on the right and all that SILLY paperwork. I MUST stop organizing things. Honestly - it is ridiculous!  Oh and stop teaching classes!!!!

Normally the top of the sewing machine cabinet on the left is CLEAR. I just placed some of my paperwork there this morning. 





Yesterday I showed you the picture of the little TV tray beside it -

Here it is again in case you missed it...............





Here is the picture of the little shelf that Horn manufactures for it.................


Right Hand extension for sewing table    (Here is the picture - I downloaded it for your convenience!!!) But check the link for more info.





Now isn't that just the greatest. HOWEVER, Barbara sent me a note yesterday saying that Ikea has all kinds of floating shelves, fold down tables and I am sure one of those would work as well.


Fold down wall table at IKEA


Hard to see - but I think you get the picture. 




Hmmmmm - I like this idea. Not sure what the width of the table is - I didn't check, but the price is right - $49.99. Maybe I should investigate this - I do have loads of room and it would be so handy. I think Marian who also has the same Horn sewing cabinet was lamenting the same thing - lack of space on the right hand side. OK - I went back and checked - it might be a tad too big - it is 23" by 29" or something like that.


See there is lots of room and I have to "attach" the sewing table to something because I need to plug the machine in, so I could have a nice extension table there. Don't want to block the design wall, but there is lots of design wall so not going to worry about a foot.  

Oh and did you see in the picture of the Horn cabinet - how nice the power bar looked UNDERNEATH the cabinet while mine sits on top. Now there is one advantage to it being on top - it is easy to plug and unplug the machines - thanks to Carol for that BRILLIANT idea. And did you see how nice the cords looked with those cord tamers things attached to the cabinet. I might do that because I rarely unplug this stuff that is here and it does look messy. 



I think I might call Joe (the carpenter) and see what he can come up with for me.

And Linda - did you notice all the storage room on the other side of the cabinet????   I have lots of stuff parked here, including my quilting machine (under the cover) and the stuff on the left is M's which will go when she leaves for school. The other rolling cabinet contains my sewing supplies - piecing thread, needles, machine feet, etc. which would be better if they were on the other side RIGHT where the folding table is. And if I had that shelf - then I could put the cabinet underneath. It would be perfect.

Lots of storage room under the flip up shelf at the back of the cabinet


Now there is one other spot that is lacking in my cabinet. In the picture above - you see that stack of drawers. Well I am TOO CHEAP to buy that. It is very expensive. And there is a LOT of valuable real estate under that side.



See - lots of real estate here

I was using a laundry basket to hold stuff

Then I tried a small plastic cabinet - hmmmm - room for two!!!!!!!!!!!!

|Then I tried a bigger one. No room to put the wheels on these units, but they are great to hide  stuff. 

You know you have that block of the month to make, or a block for an exchange and where the heck do you put it to keep the room tidy. (I know - I cannot help myself). This is perfect for those small projects that you have on the go - the charity project for the guild, the post card exchange. If they were handy - it would be easier and neater.

Now the only problem - the plastic scrap book boxes that I use to store projects in and the pizza boxes DO NOT fit in the black plastic shelf. Hence - it has to be small transient projects that fit in this space - which is what was in the laundry basket.

I think I might use the small units with as many drawers as I can find. I need to find the 6 drawer units (like on the other side) and don't use the wheels. OH MY GOD - I have to go shopping and NOW. Then each project can have it own drawer and won't get lost or forgotten. Oh yes - that is PERFECT.

Hey - what if I put M's stuff in the black plastic shelf - the wheels will fit on the other side of the table and get rid of her boxes. Ooh oooh ooooh - I have to go and organize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to find those shelves - I will take my tape measure because it is a tight space. I think I shall spend the rest of my life perfecting the storage solution in my studio. But there is NOTHING like coming to work and having nice clean spaces or things that are ORGANIZED. I have no idea how I worked before. You would have DIED. I was a HOARDER for sure.  OK - I still am - you just can't see it!!!!!


I got another Halloween quilt done yesterday -


Elaine S - Halloween quilt


I just need to trim it and sew the binding on this morning. and then it will be DONE. Only FIVE to go - and three of them belong to me so technically there isn't a rush to get them done.


If you have a Horn cabinet or tell me what you are doing to utilize all that space effectively. I love Barbara's idea!!!!!    Thanks so much.



Have a great day..............   (and go organize something today - you will LOVE it)



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    How are you? Hope you are well. You blog is full of informative.Thanks for sharing.You could spend a small fortune on quilting equipment even before you have bought the fabric. It's difficult to know at this stage how much quilting you are likely to do,For more tips Visit-quilting equipment

    Thanks
    Shamim

    ReplyDelete