Saturday, October 13, 2012

CREATIVE FESTIVAL DAY TWO



That first day is such a LONG day - the show opens at 10 AM and goes until 8 PM. And unlike SHIFT workers - we get no relief!!!   It is all hands on deck. I had to teach a class on embroidery at 3 PM for one and a half hours. (It was a welcome break in the day) I had two yogurts during the day and got my "lunch" break around 5:30 PM. Normally I am VERY regimented for my meals, but you are so busy that you don't even think about it. Nor do you want something to eat. Now if that would only work at home!!!!!


But that did not mean that we were stuck completely in the booth - oh no. Well M and I got there way early and so we had a chance to walk around and snapped a few photos. I want to revisit that CAKE at the entrance.

The CAKE

Details of the cake

More details

And that is a "featherweight" 


The cake was designed and made by The Canadian Society of Sugar Artistry. I mean WHO KNEW that such a group existed???????????????


Check out their link for more info   The Canadian Society of Sugar Artistry


I am going to go back and chat to them (they are a VERY friendly group of ladies) and get the scoop on that big cake. Is it really made all of cake, how much does it weigh, what will happen to it - I mean these are burning questions in my mind. And do people really eat those kind of cakes or are they just for show?????


There is also a competition of sugar art on display that will blow your socks off. I am going to take a few pictures today (I asked and it is OK) even though it is a competition. If you think a quilt takes a long time to make - you better look at these creations!!!!!

I also learned that I am LOSING OUT BIG TIME in the social media field. I mean if I put a bit of effort into it - I could be RICH - well not quite, but at least making money at this. Who knew????????????


After M and I wandered around for a half hour, she headed off to class. She was VERY IMPRESSED that we got to walk around "behind the scenes" - well basically when no one was there and the day before during set up. Yep - the "glamour side" of trade shows. But I have to agree with her - I love the "behind the scenes" stuff  - who does what and why and watching the show build - that is way more fun (well almost) than the show itself.

Then there is the crochet display. OH MY GOD - I thought this was insane last year, but look at these.

Starting with the spring show, these guys (and yes they are TWO guys) that are responsible for this zany crocheted display. This year - they had a circus theme.


This is the ferris wheel and EVERY INCH of it is covered in yarn - I think it is all crocheted. Some of it was crocheted while ON THE WHEEL. Imagine that!!!!    (and I wasn't kidding when I posted the picture on Facebook about my new bike - see that bike on top of the ferris wheel - the wrought iron one - yep - it is mine. I dickered for it and it is MINE!!!!!)

There are CRAZY creatures all over the wheel

And this AMAZING carousel. It is beautiful. 

They are auctioning all these items off for a charity that has escaped me at the moment.

Anyway - check out their web site - and Mikey - well he is ZANY. I love him though - so full of energy - it makes me WANT TO PICK UP CROCHETING again.


The Crochet Crowd


Oh my - I did manage to scoop a couple of treasures (OK - so I am fast and there is an extremely circuitous route to the washroom).

Now I did get some quilt related things..............


Not one but TWO quilt books. I love books about the history of quilting and this is a recently published book about The Quilt. And a book about beading. That DAMN Grantham books - they always have tons of GREAT books and I can't say no to a book. M is just as bad as me because she bought FIVE fashion books from him. 

And I bought not one, not two, but THREE patterns. I mean these were all just TOO CUTE  to leave in the stores. And someone has to buy them!!!!   Those little owl pincushions - well that booth is ALL WOOL and it is to DIE FOR. I want EVERYTHING in the booth. Well I did buy something else, but it wasn't ready last night. I will get it today. The pattern on the right is by a local designer - little people of the world in their cultural garb!!!!!

And then I found these!!!!    T-shirts with bikes so I had to buy TWO - the price was right. How cool is that!!!!!    The lady designed and printed them herself. 

As I mentioned yesterday there is a section with hand crafted items for sale and that is where I found the t-shirts. I forgot to get the bike pendant - got to do that today. And some great card makers - oh boy - I wish I had unlimited pockets. You want to support some of these designers but you can't buy everything!!!!!


There is CREATIVITY and INSPIRATION at every turn. Not just in the booths, but in the NUMEROUS displays around the hall. I think they have done a great job - but then I always (or almost) think people have done a great job.   Hopefully you will all get a chance to come down and have a look for yourself. I saw LOADS and LOADS of people yesterday.

As we were leaving - M snapped this picture through the sun roof..................


The CN Tower !!!!



Got to run - want to get there early again and this time - I am taking the BIG camera. I want pictures of EVERYTHING (despite the fact that they have BIG signs out front - no cameras - good grief!!!) As long as I ask, I figure I am OK.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment