Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 72 - St. John's

Let's just say that it was awesome to have a warm dry bed to sleep in.  I got a room by myself otherwise we would have had to share with two or three to a room and with all the wet gear and bikes - well it is just ugly so I coughed up extra cash to get a room just for me!!!!   For those who know me - I don't like to share!!!!!

Had breakfast with the others and the weather outside was FRIGHTFUL.  They had plans to dip their wheels in the ocean, go to Mile Zero and ride up Signal Hill.  Me - I had plans for NONE of it.  I did it last year and it really wasn't my trip across Canada so no need for the ceremony.  However Barb (Dave's wife) convinced me to come and so I did.  I am very glad that I did as I was the official photographer!!!   They started out at Mile Zero which is symbolic of Terry Fox's run - it was to be his end point. There is a beautiful statue of Terry near the water front and a nice little park. Let me tell you - that there were a LOT of cameras that made an appearance and Gavin and I spent a bit of time taking pictures. 

Trust me - NO ONE lingered.  The wind was blowing like mad, the rain was pelting down - it was just ugly!!!!!

Then off to the dock to dip the wheels.  I remember those docks from last year.  Let's just say that a floating dock is already a very unstable platform, but with the high winds - it was even more so.  The cyclists went down one of the docks and I went on the other so I could get a good picture of them. My camera has been acting up lately - too much dampness no doubt.   Anyway - I managed to get pictures of them all although a few times - they were a bit shaky because of the waves.

Back on their bikes and they were off to Signal Hill.   Now I really felt for them on this climb because it was into the head wind. It was an UGLY climb.  I got pictures of them coming up and that was so cool to watch them all arrive at their final destination. It was almost as exciting as if I had done the entire trip with them.  As I was taking pictures in the blowing wind - a woman came up to me and asked if I was with the cyclists. Yes I said.  She asked if a John Edwards was with us.  Hmmmmmm - John???   Oh yes - John!!!!   Turns out his cousin came up to meet him on the Hill!!!!!   How cool is that!!!!!!

Then another round of pictures and by this time everyone was frozen - except Stuart who had on his merino wool base layer and long pants!!!!!  After all the pictures were done - everyone headed back to the hotel.  They had been out for about two hours by this time and yes - everyone was wet again!!!!!!  

Our final brunch was just a short walk down the road. On the way there - we had to pass a Shopper's Drug Mart and I wanted to pick up a couple of things. AHA - there is a photo printing station here and they printed off two pictures immediately for me so I took a copy of the group photos to the brunch.  Everyone has excited to see them.

We had a great brunch - and a couple of traditional Newfoundland dishes which I have to say I did not care for.  Too much fat for me!!!!!!!   Then all the thank yous, comments and such and it was over!!!!!!   Oh dear - that is always the sad part! 

Back to the hotel and then I grabbed my bike and walked it down to the bike shop so they could box it up for transport.  I know - just being lazy!!  But I didn't have a box so I had to get one from them - another few dollars and they would pack it up - that was a no brainer!!!!   But it was raining and so it was ugly walking down the hill to the shop.  I did a little bit of shopping - I had to buy a new duffle bag to bring all my odds and ends home - I wanted to check it on the plane and my other luggage is already back in Ontario!

Then by the quirks of Facebook - I was off to meet Cheryl and her family.  Cheryl is a quilter (and her husband Larry helps out with the quilting - I want Larry to come visit me!!!!!). Their son Stephen had just crossed Canada - also on a bike.  He did it by himself and so it was great to meet all of them including Stephen's finance whose name I have forgotten!!!  Anyway - we met at Quidi Vidi Brewery where we did the tasting and had a tour of the production process.   Very interesting, but the tasting went so fast - we got to taste five beers and they were coming around to fill up my glass before I had finished the first sample.  Oh well - bottoms up!!!!!   Some very nice beer and I think some of it is available in Ontario - I must look for it.

After that we were off to Linda's.  A small eccentric little restaurant not far from the Brewery.  When I mean eccentric - I mean eccentric. And John - if you are reading this - they had license plates on the wall.  I was tempted to pinch one or two for you!!!!!   The story there is that John started collecting license plates in Alberta and we gave him three more at the final brunch.  I think he ended up with quite a collection at the end of the trip!!!!!   Anyway - back to Linda's - we had great clam chowder - so thick you almost needed a fork to eat it.  And a group who were also at the Brewery came in to be screeched into Newfoundland.  Oh boy - what fun as we listened to them go through the ceremony.   I did not participate!!!!!   But I watched and observed!

Chery and Larry drove me back to St. John's where we visited the chocolate shop.  Yum yum!!!!   And then I said good-bye as I still had a couple of things to do.  I walked back to the hotel - UP that huge hill and yes - I was huffing when I got to the top.   Then a nice quiet evening in the hotel.  And a nice - dry bed!!!!!

Thanks Cheryl and Larry - it was so awesome to meet you - I'll see you on Facebook!!!!!   (And thanks to Pauline H - who made the connection for us)

On that note - I still have a couple of hours before I have to catch my plane and I want to pick up one more thing from St. John's since it may be a LONG time before I come back!!!!

Have an awesome day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment